Builds 1963 FJ45LP SWB Fixed Top "Sweet Simplicity" (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You get that inner frame rail repaired?

In work...

(on edit, what I meant to say is I'm still waiting for @Pauciflora to show up and help :p)

Hopefully the rear cross member and braces will be done this week, and fit. There is some dimensional specificity (word of the day lol) to left and right for these which the machine shop had a bit of a hard time understanding.

On some days I think it would be good to fill the frame channel with concrete. :hillbilly:

Last edited:
So while I continue plinking on the frame, decided to go full rabbit hole and pull the center arm, etc. and rebuild it. Just cuz. So now I get to bang, do some more chemical warfare and napalm attacks on the center arm shaft, and more banging. One of these days I'll start putting stuff back on. Yeah, right. Picked up the rear cross member and supports from the machine shop, tomorrow will fit check. Fingers crossed (and stained, and bloody, and stiff/sore).

But I think I'm going to reuse the stock steering stabilizer. It actually still has some resistance, and some folks don't even think you need them. So now I get to chalk up ONE part that gets reused on this beater and I save like $95 (aftermarket) or $200 (OEM). :bounce2:. I might even take a picture of it after I get it cleaned up.

Last edited:
IMG_1542.jpg

Yeah, stuck pig. Monday I have a puller arriving, hoping it fits and works. If so, I’ll post pics.

Nice puller kit. Doesn’t fit this app though.
FAC63862-4B8E-4AC2-8482-B21138BB6E54.jpeg

So I drilled out two rivets and took the bracket and remnants off. Still can’t get puller to fit. So it’s soaking in a bucket of Ed’s red. I might look at it again this year.
9A80DA45-5C86-48A3-847C-2F8FE9911951.jpeg

Things that require maintenance should not be this hard to deal with.

Last edited:
Throw it in freezer for the night. Then take it out and place in hot sun. This has worked for me on heavy equipment for years. I also keep a crock pot in one of the shops for heating up parts in the water including seals for rams. The crock pot is an amazing tool.

The heat thaw seems to break up stuck items.

Interesting. I’ll give it a try.

Just finished spraying and brushing rust converter in, on and around the frame. Not bad looking, eh?
AD5D23D1-BEF7-4934-9C37-D420724D11D6.jpeg

“SuperFly” converter. Zoom zoom.

Last edited:
Freezing+Heat Part One no go. Managed to kind of get the smaller puller on (2 ton, that should be enough, lol), not a lot of bearing though. Put the propane heat on it, no go. Tried several times, no go. Wrenched on the stuck top bushing, it’s toast but not budging like the shaft, shaft ok just stuck. Unfortunately the upper dust seal ring is in the way to get better puller bearing. Even if I can get the bushing off, the seal ring won’t come off unless the shaft is pulled or it’s destroyed. Can’t destroy it though because they are NLA. Back in freezer. We’ll see.
3B8A907B-AC9B-42C8-BA69-4F92217C555F.jpeg

image.jpeg
Hi Paul, I finally had a chance to get to the Cruiser cave with everything going on. Are you still needing one of these!!!!!! It's not in bad shape actually. Came off of one of my old 45's. Not sure how to get it to you though. Maybe a meet up sometime.

Regards
Mark

Mark - that’d be perfect! Old 45, that fits! Yeah, a meet up would be awesome. I also have a brother-in-law in Salem, maybe a handoff or something.

This made my day. Thanks! BTW, I have another old barn I need to scrounge through, I’m still looking for one of those old Idaho plates. Cheers, Paul

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Good morning Paul, the Salem thing may work out. I travel to Portland often to see in-laws. I also have a working voltage regulator I took of of my 65 when we did all the work. Your welcome to it if you want it. Just needs a little black paint and cleaning...

Mucho gracias again Mark. The VR is perfect. Will that work with an alternator, I think from a ‘67, as my rig didn’t have anything, alternator or generator? Let me know when you might pass through Salem, I can let my BIL know and he can meet you at your convenience. Paul

Freezing+Heat Part One no go. Managed to kind of get the smaller puller on (2 ton, that should be enough, lol), not a lot of bearing though. Put the propane heat on it, no go. Tried several times, no go. Wrenched on the stuck top bushing, it’s toast but not budging like the shaft, shaft ok just stuck. Unfortunately the upper dust seal ring is in the way to get better puller bearing. Even if I can get the bushing off, the seal ring won’t come off unless the shaft is pulled or it’s destroyed. Can’t destroy it though because they are NLA. Back in freezer. We’ll see.
View attachment 1768905

Just curious, are you going to re rivet that center arm mount ? I was able to pull mine without removing the bracket.

No, bolts. What did you use to pull yours?

I need one of these that fits my rig, ‘63 FJ45 SWB fixed top. Pic is from @pardion

Cheap but adequate wins, lol. Anyone?

5F46701F-7EB9-4EA8-A5C8-F8CD3F0898E1.jpeg

You sir are in luck. PM me ur shipping address.
15352540049039104902230592022937.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom