1962 fj40 retro battery questions?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Y742S

Well, I went ahead (some months back after reading a bunch of Mud comments regarding tires) and bought the tires on the link above. Very happy with them. Pics below.

dave62newtireswheels.jpg

dave62closeback.jpg

dave62back.jpg

I thought I better bump this thread then starting a new one.

I'm looking for an early battery for our 62 FJ40. The tray is the long type, 11,5"of 295 mm. All I can find in old style batteries are 248x170x200/225 mm (DIN 55623, 63Ah). The next size is 307 mm. (DIN 57023, 68 Ah). I'd like the bigger capacity.

In the owners manual is handwritten 10"x6,5"x8". But the pictures of the old cruisers show a nicely filled battery tray and hold down. Which makes me think they were longer from factory.

What was the size of the battery originally?

What batteries are you running?

I thought I better bump this thread then starting a new one.

I'm looking for an early battery for our 62 FJ40. The tray is the long type, 11,5"of 295 mm. All I can find in old style batteries are 248x170x200/225 mm (DIN 55623, 63Ah). The next size is 307 mm. (DIN 57023, 68 Ah). I'd like the bigger capacity.

In the owners manual is handwritten 10"x6,5"x8". But the pictures of the old cruisers show a nicely filled battery tray and hold down. Which makes me think they were longer from factory.

What was the size of the battery originally?

What batteries are you running?
bei dieser Adresse schon gesucht ?

bei dieser Adresse schon gesucht ?
Achte auch mal darauf: 2018 hat der GTÜ einen Test mit Oldtimerbatterien durchgeführt.
Nur alleine auf die Optik usw. zu achten, bringt nichts.*
Bitteschön:

* ....Wer die Optik unter der Motorhaube hingegen aus pragmatischem Blickwinkel betrachtet, ist mit einer konventionellen, wartungsfreien und in der Regel preiswerteren Blei-Säure-Batterie besser bedient, so der Rat der GTÜ-Experten."

Last edited:
Danke fur diese Test.
Ich arbeite schon viele Jahren in Gabelstapler. Die Batterien aus 70-er und 80-er Jahren wurde viel besser denn Batterien spater. Die hardrubber Batterien konnte 30 Jahre alt werden. Jetzt is 15 Jahre schon sehr gut. Aber warscheinlich sind die neue hardrubber Batterien nicht mehr wie gut wie die originale.

Long time ago since I wrote German😉. I hope it isn’t too bad.
Yes we figured that the quality will be less then newer batteries. But now we finished this car and we had so much eye for all the details an old style battery is a must. We will keep it charged well and hope it lasts long and has energy enough for the slow starter. Good change that when this one fails the next one will be a new style battery.
Thanks for the links. I’m going to check on Monday.

It`s long... long ago all parts the quality of them were better ... batteries too ...not new to me .
Don`t know how many batteries I´ve bought for cars... a lot !
I did it once to put an "oldtimer" battery in a classic car..only once !
Then not anymore .
Not willing to pay more than the double price for a wear part you have to change again a few years later...
then again a few years later.... again a few years again a...
.... all said.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom