1962 fj40 retro battery questions?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello you guys,,,,,,,,,I had a few comments on my 1962 fj40 restoration regarding my battery and that it would be cool to find a period correct retro battery. I like the idea a lot. Before I buy anything could anyone tell me: 1) Is there a period correct reproduction of a TOYOTA FJ40 1962 battery ( or that time period ) that a company makes that someone might know about and,,,,,,,,,,, 2) In your opinion is a battery from one of these two sites below a battery type that an owner would have used ie: DELCO when replacing?
http://www.antiqueautobattery.com/index.html

http://www.restorationbattery.com/gmproducts.html#chevrolet-batteries

I think it's a great idea to include a period correct battery but don't want to buy the wrong thing. Opinions from you guru's are always very helpful. fjfjfj

dave62enginenew.jpg

First link, power punch (third picture) is what I would go with. But anything black would look better than the bright green. Instead of blending in it stands out.

Hello you guys,,,,,,,,,I spoke with Tom ( owner of Restoration Battery Company ), good guy, answered the phone on a Sunday ( unusual ). Anyway, he said Willard was the Jeep battery, Delco was of course GM. He did not know what battery was used by Toyota but said he would build me a GENERIC Period correct battery with nothing written on the side UNLESS I could find out what was written on the side of an original FJ40 1962 battery and then he would include that. ALSO, does anyone know if the original 1962 ( 61 ) FJ40 had colored battery caps ( red, black or yellow??? ). Please let me know. Tom will put on whatever I can find out. Thanks you guys.

Hi, All I remember was black cases and red caps. Mike

Hello Michael and the rest of you guys,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Thanks for the note you left on my thread regarding the correct battery. I do remember Black with Red Caps on the early 1970's cruisers. Do you happen to know if those early 1960's were also the same??? Thanks. fjfjfj

10 commas? That is how slow my brain works till the next,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,thought. lol.

I have been searching for a close up pic of a very early land cruiser battery with no luck. Anybody have that by remote chance?

That is the one I had just seen... We are looking in the same threads :)

I had noticed that all batteries from 75-78 had red caps ... A 74 lit had a yellow and red

In the 1962 four wheeler is a pic of a battery top and its either dark red or black caps... I don't see any sides except for the ones you pointed out

Possible correct battery for 1962

I am thinking about having this battery made for me EXCEPT it will say GS in big white letters on the side just like the original BJ battery and others I have seen. Then GS NIPPON DENCHI / MADE IN JAPAN. Will go ahead and use red caps since I have seen those on other FJ40 original brochures from early 1970's. Does this pic below seem period correct for the 1962?

Ferrari-G-27-Magnet-Marelli(1).jpg

I am thinking an old 25 manual may have a pic of the battery under the seat?

I have my cd with the pics at school... I will not be going there for another month... I don't think you want to wait that long... My vacation ... I don't do to much searching LOL

JohnnyC,,,,,,,,,Thanks a lot for posting the pic. Fantastic picture. And for your efforts. I think I am done with this round. I think I am going to go with the red caps. Will add a bit of color and I don't think it will take away and it those red have been seen on other cruisers in the 1970's. What the heck, am doing what I can. Thanks again you guys for the help and for pointing out the flaw of that 2013 Interstate battery, green.

So will this be a new sealed battery made to just "look" like a vintage battery?

What about price shipped?

http://www.antiqueautobattery.com/index.html

http://restorationbattery.com/

Yea,,,,,,,,,,,,,these links show the companies that sell them. I think Antique Auto Battery is the company that actually makes them. Cost is over $300 shipped. Worth it? I think, after considering everything and looking at that picture that Johnny C posted above of the 1962 from four wheeler, it is worth it. That battery I posted ( in color ) looks just like it so will go ahead on and order one. Will get the proper lettering ( GS in large white letters like the old originals posted on the side and then smaller letters below that saying GS NIPPON DENCHI MADE IN JAPAN ). Thanks you guys.

Last edited:

The pictures in that 1962 lit is of two different cruisers. The engine picture being a 61. Air intake on the apron and front arm rest on the rear jump seats were only on the 61 FJ40s. When I got home tonight I was going to check this lit but I see it already posted.

$300 for the battery doesn't seem that far out of line. But I would need to find tires that are close to correct and canvas top before spending that much. Has anyone found a good match for the original Dunlop tires that we are able to get in the country?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom