1962 FJ40 Brake Master Cylinder (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Replace the brake hydraulics with a more modern dual circuit master cylinder system. Single circuit masters are widow makers.

Did you hone the master cylinder when you rebuilt it. Maybe your master cylinder is worn out Letting it sit in the AZ heat doesn't help. If you still have the metal reservoir I think it can be changed to a later none booster type mater to keep the orginal look. You could also resleeve it. There has been a tread about brakes in the 25 forum you might want to check out. If you redo it now before your are finished restoring I would pump the brakes every couple of days to keep things moving, your hydraulic last longer when being used and not just sitting.

John

Actually no, I didn't. These were bought rebuilt and new respectively. I have the feeling that with my rig sitting is what the big cause is. Seems like they were good for te first month or so, but after that I noticed the leakage. It could be too that the rubber boot hide the leakage for awhile.

On another realting note: I talked to Marv Spector earlier (SOR.com) today and he mentioned that SOR was restoring a FJ40 for Toyota and the subject between SOR and the Toyota people came up about the brake master cylinder and what they shoud use. Everyone was in agreement that the stock one would leak... Makes you wonder

Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom