1961 FJ40 Hardtop.....rattle can rebuild (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

They say "Cool old jeep" and I say " it's a Toyota"
Then they say "oh"
And I laugh
This is about exactly how I imagined it would go as well. Ha!

Finally got the soft top installed (I don't really care for the looks of the Best Top but.....). Was getting tired of the top sitting on my patio. Plus, its way nicer to drive with some shade.
8)

Drove it to get groceries and made a friend.
View attachment 2055713

Jack, cut the side panels off & you own the one and only Arizona Jolly 40 Can.

Fiat Jolly:
fiat_1968_jolly_rm104.ashx

Perfect climate in Arizona 4 such a Jolly 40 Can.

Willys Jeep produced one
6107312054_1518974388_b.jpg

Last edited:
Hey! A top and doors! 👍

Yeah......the top is ugly as hell. It's better than getting a sun burn though.

Maybe in the future I will get something more OEM looking.

Best drivable I have seen until now
& the Gentlemen are well dressed.

Jack, search one & only rattle can your outfits. ;)

Oldtimer-Grandprix-Safenwil-24.-August-2019-15.jpg

Oldtimer-Grandprix-Safenwil-24.-August-2019-50.jpg
Oldtimer-Grandprix-Safenwil-24.-August-2019-54.jpg

Oldtimer-Grandprix-Safenwil-24.-August-2019-150.jpg

tuxpi.com.1566988090.jpg

Last edited:
May the Cruiser gods forgive me...........................I had the Best Top windshield piece and used self tapers to screw it to the windshield frame.

I’m in the same boat with my FHT, but I don’t know of a better solution.

Toyota drilled holes for the FST to fit, so holes ain't no big deal.

Toyota originally welded the channel to the top of the windshield. Then later holes were punched during production nuts welded in. At no time did Toyota drill holes. I have at least two sets but think it's actually three set of aftermarket channels. I understand on the early FHT drilling holes but can not understand on later windshields with the fixed nuts drilling the windshield to match holes on the channels verses taking the time figure where the holes should be drilled on the aftermarket channels to use the factory fixed nuts. I know late models didn't have the nuts but holes are there. Have a perfect 82 windshield except it has holes for sheet metal screws drilled across the top. Would rather deal with welding small holes than rust along the bottom.

Thanks @Living in the Past LITP for chiming in. I remember EARLY Toyota ad's in which stated that no sheet metal screws are used on Land Cruisers. There are a couple on brake lines to frame. And PTO splash shield. Any others? We are talking 1967 or earlier. Sorry about the hi jack. John

Just noticed you need a Toyota sticker on the back of the '61 (I think). @oregon fj

I have one of the stickers. My collection of pix of 1961 40s don't show the sticker, so I left it off. Probably stick it on later after I get tired of it sitting on my desk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom