18” OEM wheels on ‘98 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bhamnole

SILVER Star
Threads
I am wanting to move from OEM 16” wheels on my 1998 LC to 18” OEM wheels from years 2003-2005. Can anyone help with what fitment issues I can expect to have? What’s largest tire and any issues with the center cap?

From what I’ve read it doesn’t appear that I’ll have problems but all this stuff is new to me and don’t want unexpected surprises if possible. Thanks.

There will be no issue with fitment. You will have to cut a hole in the front cap of Toyota wheels if no spacers are used. For the Lexus wheels, you won't need spacers or to cut a hole in the front caps.

First pic is mine 2 years ago with the Lexus LX 18" wheels (285/65/18 Terra Grapplers)

Second pic is mine 18 months ago with Tundra SR5 (2007) wheels (275/70/18 KO2) on 1.25" spacers (so caps didn't need cutting).

IMG_5382.JPG

Tundra Wheels.JPG

Thanks. Those look good. Dumb question but your reference to cut a hole - you mean to essentially remove the part of the cap where the emblem is?

Thanks. Those look good. Dumb question but your reference to cut a hole - you mean to essentially remove the part of the cap where the emblem is?

Correct. The front axles have a cap that either needs to be hammered flat for the wheel caps to fit or you need to cut a 1.5" hole in the wheel cap (very minor and easy) so they can fit over the axle cap. The rears require nothing. The LX wheels have deeper wheel caps that don't require any cutting.

What’s the downside to hammering the cap on the front axles? Also the people I spoken to weren’t too high on spacers. Any downsides to that as an option as you took?

What’s the downside to hammering the cap on the front axles? Also the people I spoken to weren’t too high on spacers. Any downsides to that as an option as you took?

From what I have read, no issues with pounding caps. I have the same wheels on my '04 as @geanes... I used the flatter Tundra wheel caps on the rear wheels and the '04 LC caps on the fronts, no spacers & no pounding in caps.

03-07 18” OEM LC wheels with factory center caps will fit without cutting. Tundra center caps are flatter and you’ll need to modify the center cap or dust cap to fit.

Zero issue with spacers....as long as they are hubcentric. I used the BORA 1.25" spacers for a while and put over 20k on them both daily driving and heavy wheeling over off-road passes in CO. Never had a single issue running them.

There will be no issue with fitment. You will have to cut a hole in the front cap of Toyota wheels if no spacers are used. For the Lexus wheels, you won't need spacers or to cut a hole in the front caps.

First pic is mine 2 years ago with the Lexus LX 18" wheels (285/65/18 Terra Grapplers)

Second pic is mine 18 months ago with Tundra SR5 (2007) wheels (275/70/18 KO2) on 1.25" spacers (so caps didn't need cutting).

View attachment 1919919

View attachment 1919921

View attachment 1919919

View attachment 1919921
I have an 01 LX470 with the 16” wheels, if I switch to 18” will that affect the speedometer or odometer accuracy?

I like mine. 275/70-18. I don’t have Center caps...

71F1287C-9430-4670-A551-8E8F3702F60E.jpeg

I put 2012 200 series 18" wheels on my 2000 cruiser.

Ordered caps from Toyota and they fit just fine without cutting

These are the wheels

These are the caps

I can attached pictures if anyone is interested

2012 wheel.png

I swapped out the stock 16" wheels on my '98 for an 18" set off an '04.. Zero issues, caps fit perfect.

IMG_7103.jpg

Others have covered fitment issues, but I've got a different perspective to add: performance and comfort.

The 18s will give you a more connected feel on asphalt because you've got less sidewall in the tire. Less squish = more sporty. The flip side of this is that you and your passengers will notice the road more, usually not in a positive way. I need to run my summer wheels/tires (18's) at a lower pressure (~35psi vs 40) than normal to keep my wife from being uncomfortable on long drives.

The 18s will allow less airing down if you offroad. Not a big deal, but something to consider if you plan to do a lot of off-roading and want ultimate comfort while doing so.

I had 16s with 285/75/16. Now I have 18s with 275/70/18. I think 17's would be best for mixed use. 18's good for all highway and 16's good for maximum offroad use.

Got pics on the truck? I'm thinking about the same rim. Thanks!

Sure do — Absolutely love how it changes the look of the rig!!

2D6A0F5A-E1F0-4438-9CFE-007E96B51DD6.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom