$15k Hundy/470 build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking for input before I get started, I have not purchased my vehicle yet.

Uses: this truck will spend all but a few weeks a year in the suburban jungle. Family mobile. Comfort. Amenities are nice. Wife, 2 kids. However, very off road and overland capable. All but the hardest trails should be accessible. Dessert, but not a driving focus, rather climb up red rocks. Another big need is to be able to tow, at a minimum a two horse trailer, with the family, and all our crap in tow.

I've narrowed my search to a 05 or 06 100 series, or lx470. My budget post vehicle purchase is around $15k… and assume I drop another $5k down the line on odds n ends, but can't do it all at once.

First question, the AHC, I was planning to avoid an 06 because of AHC if possible, but these 05 trucks are proving hard to find. Is this a valid concern of mine or can I consider an 06 as equal to 05?

My initial thoughts are:

ARB front and rear bumpers, ARB sliders and Slee body plates. Slee diff drop. 33” BFGs mounted on 16” wheels.

2.5” heavy duty OME setupFront and rear steering (control arms).

Should I consider front and rear ARB air lockers, need to have or nice to have?

Do I need air lift bags for towing? Other than brake controller what else (major) would I need for towing? Bigger front brakes?

Warn winch. Snorkel. Dual battery setup. Some low profile roof rack. Canopy. Misc internal and external lighting.

Ok I'm probably closer to $20k now!

If you hate my approach, or have other suggestions given my use cases please let me know how you'd adjust! And I could really use specifics, most of what I have so far comes from a hundy build on expeditionportal. Thanks!

"Need" is a funny word :). I'm driving a Honda Pilot. Wife is driving a CRV. 've had everything from a 80s CJ w/ 350 conversion, to a BMW M6 (original 87'). It's time for a new (still practical) toy. Have been looking at everything from Diesel Chevy 2500HDs to LC. New Chevy's are too much, have yet to have the need to tow but as soon as I get something the wheels come off and then the wife gets a horse - we will NOT tow a lot, just locally, and every once in a while. Most use will be family mobile mid-week, that we take out into the "wild" for weekend/week trips (I'm in San Diego - so east and north of me).

Talked to the guys at Slee, because of the desire to tow they were initially pointing me towards a 200 series - I wouldn't have the budget to get a 200 AND do what I'd want to it. They agreed as long as it's not a true "tow" rig I could build out a 100 w/ the right equip and do local jaunts and be fine. Thoughts? Your rig is pretty sweet ton54, seeing them REALLLY makes me want one.

Yea definitely go for the 06+ for the VVTi/5spd, it would be really nice if you tow. Like you said, can always add air bags in the rear if the load is heavy. Definitely brake controller.

You don't have to throw money at t right away. Just get all the maintenance caught up. Then do your basic mods.

If the CRV is big enough for your family around town, cut the Pilot loose and replace with a cruiser.

I'm with you, meant to mention that earlier that this would replace the Pilot. The CRV is fine as the family commuter around town, day to day, but not much else as we can't fit what we need for weekend trips. Appreciate the input, it's the kick in the pants I need from all of you to finally pull the trigger.

On another thread I posted that I bit the bullet and went w/ a 200 series. I'm off and running but now much less to spend on mods! :doh:

Youll be way past $20K with all those initial mods. Trust me. $5k doesnt go that far.

I would get a carriage and get the horses to pull me. Ain't no free rides around here.

If the AHC concerns you have it removed. I had mine pulled and replaced with a ARB suspension for under $2k. The ride is about the same as wlhen it was in sport mode and with the HD springs, I no longer worry about the system giving out at the worst time. Honestly, for me having so much linked in through the Nav-system was a bigger concern and updating the Nav since you basically have to keep it if you have it is too expensive for what you get. Also, I would go LX over LC. they are more plentiful having sold almost 2:1 over LCs and are typically extremely babied. I looked at several LCs when I looked for ours and all were beat up, dirty and missing parts. I also looked at several LXs and each looked new. The one we bought still had plastic on the carpets in the cargo area. Stains on the carpets up front but the back end looked like showroom.

Last edited:
If you decide to pull out your AHC system, I have my stock torsion bars, stock rear springs and stock shocks if you want them. Let me know.

If you are on the budget, Id hold off on the ARB bumpers and snorkel. They are nice, but really are more eye candy than functional.

if you will tow often, get a 200 and throw bigger tires, remove the running boards and rock out.
I love my 100, in stock form with decent tires, it is an incredibly capable rig. but I want more power...... that being said the 100 looks 10x better than the 200. I would consider the Tough Dog suspension That Trail Tailor is selling.

if you will tow often, get a 200 and throw bigger tires, remove the running boards and rock out.
I love my 100, in stock form with decent tires, it is an incredibly capable rig. but I want more power...... that being said the 100 looks 10x better than the 200. I would consider the Tough Dog suspension That Trail Tailor is selling.
I have my tough dog suspension 1/2 have installed, just put the rears in so for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom