155F Engine Refresh, Advice Needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone, I have mad a couple threads regarding my 1970, but need some more pointed advice as it relates to refreshing a 1970 155F. Details are as follows:

- Had been sitting under a tree in northern California since 1985
- I got the engine to turn over and fire spraying starter fluid down into a mess of an aftermarket carb
- Had Mark look over an OEM carb that i was going to put on, it was too far gone to rebuild, so I opted to go with a holley sniper. Most parts ordered.
- I stupidly took the head off before testing pressure
- Saw a lot of dirty coolant in the block, rear lower drain clogged with carbon.
- Rocker assembly removed
- Valves removed
- All accessories removed

My short term goal is to refresh the valve seats and clean up the top end for reassembly. I have high confidence it will run, how well is the big question. SO i don't want to commit too much $$$ to a rebuild or a valve job at this point. If it's too far gone, most of the parts I have ordered will be slapped on a 2F, as it seems the advice is predominantly to not rebuild a 1F.

So, my rough plan is as follows:
- Hot dip the head
- clean up the valves
- lap the valves/seats
- Cleanup the springs/retainers
- New valve seals
- clean up the rocker assembly and replace o-rings
- Clean out the sludge that is in the coolant chamber. Found some posts about using muriatic acid and just keep flushing it. It will be on an engine stand, so i can really flush it well, will just need to focus on keeping the cylinders lubed and dry
- Clean up headgasket surfaces, and place a new gasket
- Reassemble and check pressure before proceeding with adding everything to turn over with the sniper

Anything seem completely out of line? I am definitely learning as I go, so open to any and all suggestions.

Below are some pics for clarification and some other questions

I started cleaning a sring just to see what i was working with and it almost looks painted. I definitely saw this elswhere on mud, but it seems highly unlikely these springs were painted. Any thoughts? Also questioning why i would even clean them.

IMG_1739 (1).jpg

There are several "holes" like the second from the top left that appear to be completely blocked off from carbon buildup. Is it safe to assume these are coolant pathways that should be clear?
IMG_1509 (1).jpg

Image showing the "peanut butter" from the back coolant area.

IMG_1520 (1).jpg

Image showing the carbon buildup blocking the rear drain
IMG_1515 (1).jpg

IMG_1511 (1).jpg

Some other disassembly photos for posterity
IMG_1502.jpg
IMG_1507 (1).jpg
IMG_1700.jpg
IMG_1702.jpg
IMG_1703.jpg

Oh, one last thing, is the oil filler neck removable? I had to rotate it to get the side cover off, but wasn't too sure on that one. Thanks!

IMG_1518 (2).jpg

My valve springs looked almost exactly like that. Make sure to seat the distributor all the way down when reassembled. Mine ran dry, now I am doing it over again.

My valve springs looked almost exactly like that. Make sure to seat the distributor all the way down when reassembled. Mine ran dry, now I am doing it over again.
That sucks, thanks for the heads up. I have never stabbed a distributor before, so i will certainly be careful with that. Did you end up cleaning your springs or no?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom