15+ MPG now ... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I adjust all my calculations to include tire diameter and confirm them with GPS. I get about 10.5-11 mpg around town in LA. When I go on long trips I stick to about 65 mph and get about 16.5 to 17 mpg over say a 1600 mile trip to Kansas City. Keeping track of my MPG since I installed the 305/70/16 KO2's (32.8 inches) I have averaged 12.65 mpg overall. Keeping in mind that LA traffic is a MPG killer. When I stayed in Kansas City for 5 weeks, I averaged close to 15 mpg, due mostly to the traffic being much lighter. All of these numbers are far better than I expected prior to my purchase, because the EPA estimates were so low.

Dang, I live in Kansas City and can't seem to break over 13 with mixed highway and city. Also running 295/70r18 tires so I realize this number isn't an actual reading. I must have a pretty heavy foot though

on my 99 LX with front and rear bumper, KO2 33", snorkel, winch (with steel cable) and roof rack i get 10 mpg around town and 13 on highway cruising at 75 mph.
when I got it stock, it was exactly the same mpg, may be 0.25 mpg more, but no more than that. i always run 87 octanes, tried 91 and got the same mileage.
i guess is the price to pay to drive a tank.

Wow, wish I was getting upwards of 15 mpg. My 2005 with 2' Ironman lift and 295/70/18s I get around 11.2 mph in the city and around 13.5 mpg on the highway. Best I've gotten was 14.7 with smaller tires. We always use mid grade fuel and every now and then use premium.

IMG_0952.JPG
On my way home from work today...

I found my computer MPG to be very accurate when compared to a manual calculation of same.
I Just completed an 1100 mile road trip in my 03.
Avg MPG for the entire trip was 14.1. Much of it was into a very strong headwind. Average highway speed around 75 mph.
I'm vey pleased.

This was a drive from North San Diego to Los Angeles with some traffic during a light rain. When the freeway was open, I kept it 75mph or little under. This is still (not much longer) a completely stock 04.

Wow! That’s impressive. Now that I know it is possible, I need to adjust my driving even more, and beat your high score.

This was a drive from North San Diego to Los Angeles with some traffic during a light rain. When the freeway was open, I kept it 75mph or little under. This is still (not much longer) a completely stock 04.

I'm also getting 11ish per tank in Texas.. have seen a few up towards 12.5mpg, but just depends on my driving style that week. Even on long trips, my mileage never gets up past 13ish.

285/65 Toyo Open Countries, Stock Suspension.

Wow! That’s impressive. Now that I know it is possible, I need to adjust my driving even more, and beat your high score.

I kept the Trip Info up on the screen during the drive and was mindful not to accelerate quickly or exceed 75.

The mileage will be going down though since the weight of sliders will be added in a few weeks and upgrading to 33" Ridge Grapplers.

Tip: since I weekly drive 500 miles on the hwy, my stock LX (07 with 20 inch rims) very every weekend. I found a way to keep it around 16-17 mpg ( it may work with you).
once you fill up the tank, go easy on it until hits 2000 rpm, cruise it for 30 mins or so (I have reached 20 mpg but goes slowly down after 30 min) and the average will change very little.
so instead of 3/4 tank one way, consumed slightly half tank with above procedure.

let me know if it works for you

cheers

I kept the Trip Info up on the screen during the drive and was mindful not to accelerate quickly or exceed 75.

The mileage will be going down though since the weight of sliders will be added in a few weeks and upgrading to 33" Ridge Grapplers.

Also just just got back from a weekend up in the mountains (Big Bear) where had mixed freeway, mountain hwy roads, and about 30 miles of fire road / easy trails with a combined 14.6mpg.

I will try this the next time I fill up.

Tip: once you fill up the tank, go easy on it until hits 2000 rpm, cruise it for 30 mins or so (I have reached 20 mpg but goes slowly down after 30 min) and the average will change very little.
so instead of 3/4 tank one way, consumed slightly half tank with above procedure.

let me know if it works for you

cheers

Mine is basically a Prius since i changed my up stream o2 sensors. 18mpg easy, 33’s at 45 psi, clean oil and clean filters.
No roof rack or Dorkel :)

When I first bought the truck, I got 12.5 and 13.5 MPG between 65-80 MPH. With all new OEM filters (air, oil, fuel), denso TT plugs, tires at 29 PSI (265 75 16), OEM coil packs and multiple gumout fuel cleaners I get 12.5 in the city (short distance driving approx 3-4 miles each way) and 17 MPG with cruise 72 MPH on highway with dual AC running. About to install a snorkel, hope it wont kill the MPG. IF it does, I will patch the hole and get a paint job all around.

Gas: Regular (top-tier gas all the time)

Last edited:
With stock tires, I got around 16-17mpg.

With 33" BFG KO2s, I get around 14-15mpg. With a utility or kayak trailer, I get closer to 11mpg.

I'm a pretty healthy mix of highway/town driving.

All these numbers come from the trip computer. I've never bothered to manually calculate it.

Mine is basically a Prius since i changed my up stream o2 sensors. 18mpg easy, 33’s at 45 psi, clean oil and clean filters.
No roof rack or Dorkel :)

I need to do this to mine too, my MPG has dropped to mid 12's daily combined. The fact that one expressway through town has been closed for construction so traffic is a mother trucker now and I cannot use the expressway anymore so I have to drive all surface streets to work fighting traffic the whole way.
But I am going to change my front O2's and see what happens.

Mine is running so much better for changing them, i bought oem and they were quite expensive but im very pleased with the results. My cats started to get cooked going up hill that was the tell for me (stinks!) and single figure mpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom