15+ MPG now ... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm getting 15* MPG this summer. In the winter I got 14+ MPG.
This summer I'm using med grade (89).
Haven't done anything mechanically.
Guessing its the summer blend of fuel.
Course the hotter weather expands the air in tires.
Hmmm.

I just did a test with 93 octane and showed 15.1 mpg over 99 miles at average speed of 55 mph. I checked the computer versus filling up the tank and the computer was dead on. This is a lifted 2004 Fully armored with arb front, 12k winch, slee rear, slee side steps, dual batteries, 33.5 inch mud tires (45 psi), dt headers, and 3 inch EMS exhaust. Something seems off. Seems to good to be true.

wow, u guys are getting terrific mileage. i'm averaging 13mpg mostly city driving. on our 1000+ mile round trip to orlando, we averaged 16mpg highway (consistent 70-75mph) which i thought was terrific. stock lx470 w/ falken wildpeak tires (275/65R18's instead of the 275/60's). this is with 93 octane as well.

There are various "blends" of fuel that are piped throughout the year. Maybe one has more btus than the other.

I got 15.5 on my stock '98, on our recent 3500 mile road trip up to Northwest and back. Truck was loaded pretty heavily. I never exceeded 70 mph. 66-67 mph seems to be the sweet spot for fuel mileage in my truck

I just made a 250 mile round trip (checked miles driven via GPS) with about 75% of it highway, and 25% curvy back roads. i got 14.3 mpg for the trip. So doesn't sound too far off.

Holy crap.

I am getting 11-12mpg, sometimes in the single digits down here in Texas.

I am running heavy on 35"s with stock gears and 4-speed though.

I average 14.5 around town and have seen as high as 17.5 mostly highway. 03, 33" AT KO2s, Slee slider steps, no 3rd row. It's closer to 13.5 around town when pulling a trailer. 87 octane.

Last edited:
Just taking a semi-educated guess. Summer air is usually less dense than winter, so moving through it is easier. You get very humid summer air in NC compared to winter. It sounds counter-intuitive, but humid air is less dense than dry air. Sooo maybe that?!

I got 15mpg yesterday from Augusta to Statesboro and back, around 150 miles. Worn out 285s cruising right around 65mph, I have a big trip coming up to Colorado fr Georgia with 5 other people in the car and I'm wondering what kinda of mileage I will get

Holy crap.

I am getting 11-12mpg, sometimes in the single digits down here in Texas.

I am running heavy on 35"s with stock gears and 4-speed though.

Less heavy foot, make sure air filter is clean, clean your MAF sensor, those are some simple fixes.

Is it normal to be around 2900rpm to maintain 75MPH on level ground?
yup... especially if you are running bigger tires. Your MPH is off.

I stopped looking at my MPG and focus instead on the fact that gas is 2.00 a gallon. How y'all drove these things with 4$ GAS is beyond me. Thirsty bastards...

Uh - according to the trip computer I average 10.5 to 11 MPG mostly city.

Stock.

Is that normal?

I get 14 MPG highway on a good day.

I got 17.8 on one tank between tuscaloosa and little rock. 2 lanes mostly cruisin about 60 in my 2006.

I got 17.8 on one tank between tuscaloosa and little rock. 2 lanes mostly cruisin about 60 in my 2006.
That's really good. I get about that on my commute, very flat, speed limit 55 (I cruise about 60/65) -- 2004 LC, all stock.

2100-ish RPM's seems to be about the sweet spot for these trucks, which is about 55-65 mph depending on tires, gears, etc. Not to be a naysayer, but to those "getting 15+ MPG", in my mind, that means you are averaging 15+ tank after tank after tank, with some tanks in the 16's+ and some in the 14's-. Color me skeptical. There's a difference between "I always average 15" and "I got 15 a few times". The trip computers usually are off, mine is always optimistic, and tire adjustments are usually done on nominal size, instead of actual size, which usually boosts MPG estimates. I am at peace with the one "flaw" of these rigs... Also, when you average tanks, technically you need to weight by the gallons used, or do total miles driven divided by total gallons used, or use that goofy system that we loathe, of L/100Km, but which is more accurate.

I am on my 26th vehicle owned and found out a long time ago that trip computers are nearly useless when it come to MPG calculation. I will say that the one in my BMW 335i is pretty accurate (still about .5 mpg optimistic though). I drive a lot for work and personal reasons, probably 30-32k miles per year between vehicles. I keep very close track of fuel mileage in part because it can be an early indicator of engine trouble and in part because I am an automotive nerd.

My LC100's weight adding mods are (estimated weight in pounds penalty over stock): Front locker (+20 lbs), compressor (+10), TJM skids (+65), Slee actuator armor (+10), TT sliders (+140), 305/70/16 KO2's (+56), shovel (+5), car seat (+30), 60 inch high lift (+40) and a Hardigg medical military case in cargo area with gear (+140).

I adjust all my calculations to include tire diameter and confirm them with GPS. I get about 10.5-11 mpg around town in LA. When I go on long trips I stick to about 65 mph and get about 16.5 to 17 mpg over say a 1600 mile trip to Kansas City. Keeping track of my MPG since I installed the 305/70/16 KO2's (32.8 inches) I have averaged 12.65 mpg overall. Keeping in mind that LA traffic is a MPG killer. When I stayed in Kansas City for 5 weeks, I averaged close to 15 mpg, due mostly to the traffic being much lighter. All of these numbers are far better than I expected prior to my purchase, because the EPA estimates were so low.

I believe I got 14.5 on my last fill up.... lots of mountain driving

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom