13BT seal replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey there,

Ever since I own my BJ74, it has lost a couple drops of engine oil. It wasn't that noticeable at until the last couple of years when a 2-drop pattern as if the leakage came from both rear corners of the oil pan took shape. After cleaning, I came to realize the leak might come from the crankshaft oil seal.

Even though the oil level drop is not noticeable between OCs I kind of started thinking it would be a good idea to replace the seal(s).

Has anyone done this before or found a similar leakage? I assume the gearbox has to come down; is there any other part that must be replaced during the process of changing the oil seal? (pic attached). My rig is an ATM, just turned 62k miles.

Thanks in advance for all the useful inputs. I'll try to post a pic of the underside of the car.

Dan.

oilseals13bt.jpg

The gearbox does have to come off. Its not a complicated job, but its hard work. Other jobs that could be done if they need doing are the clutch and flywheel machining.
Is this a Japanese import? A lot of these have had the speedo tampered with, so it may have done 150-200.
Use a Toyota seal, no aftermarket stuff.

The gearbox does have to come off. Its not a complicated job, but its hard work. Other jobs that could be done if they need doing are the clutch and flywheel machining.
Is this a Japanese import? A lot of these have had the speedo tampered with, so it may have done 150-200.
Use a Toyota seal, no aftermarket stuff.

Thanks Rosco; I'm located in Peru. My rig was previously owned by the fire department in Japan and dropped in my hands with 10k miles in mint condition and with and an extra couple of hundred kilograms of wires and equipment.

Back on questions; truck's an Automatic Transmission so there wouldn't be clutch work (not sure about flywheel, though). On the other hand, I checked on the diagrams for the transmission case and there seems to be a couple of parts that might be replaced after taking it down (the o-ring for the filler tube 90301-09173, pic attached).

Would there be any other gasket, ring or seals to replace?

Additionally, I'll perform a total fluid drain; I already figured out all the necessary rings and washers for oil pans and differentials but what about engine coolant? What would be the best way to get it all out of the engine (13B-T)?.

t-caseandoilpan.jpg

Additionally, I'll perform a total fluid drain; I already figured out all the necessary rings and washers for oil pans and differentials but what about engine coolant? What would be the best way to get it all out of the engine (13B-T)?.

Already found the answer to this question: Best Procedure For Flushing 13bt Coolant?

Back on questions; truck's an Automatic Transmission so there wouldn't be clutch work (not sure about flywheel, though). On the other hand, I checked on the diagrams for the transmission case and there seems to be a couple of parts that might be replaced after taking it down (the o-ring for the filler tube 90301-09173, pic attached).

Would there be any other gasket, ring or seals to replace?

Still looking for answers on parts to buy and replace when taking the t-case apart. Thanks!

but what about engine coolant? What would be the best way to get it all out of the engine

Sounds like a good buy.

I drain all the coolant out, refill it with clean water, drain again and fill with coolant. If you are going from green to red coolant or vice versa, you need to pay special attention to getting it clean.
Sometimes I just fill with clean water and run it at a fast idle for 10 minutes with the garden hose in it.
Toyota Red is formulated for these engines.

If you are taking the t,case apart, its best to get a kit and do a full rebuild. IMO ,with such low klms, I would leave it alone unless something is leaking. You cant remove the t,case without completely dismantling it. Sometimes they leak around the output flange shaft, but that is best done when needed and can be done in situ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom