Best Procedure For Flushing 13bt Coolant? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'll be replacing the rad in my BJ74 in the next couple weeks and want to give the system a really good flush. I plan to remove the thermostat and replace what hoses I can. Right now the coolant is a light brown color so there is corrosion in the system and some of the hoses are a bit crunchy. What is the best procedure for flushing the system to ensure that all the crap is out of it before I put the new rad in?

I have a pin hole leak and my thermostat failed and I am looking at replacing my rad. Have you priced one out and where from. When I had replaced my t-stat I bought one from toyota that works on a Bj70. It works, but it is shorter and now it takes longer to warm up because the engine warm up bypass is always open. Mustang connection can order the jdm parts directly from Japan and I will be ordering it soon. It is about the same price as here. I am wondering about the rad price but I think it is cheaper from here under the bj70. I was told that it is the same.

I believe somewhere in the depths of the diesel/24V forum (or maybe its in the 7* series) there is a part number for the 4 core replacement rad from Toyota. Good Cdn part number.

Should have dimensionally been the same t-stat. The only potential difference is in opening temp.

JDM EPC numbers for 3B/13BT give: 90916-03059, crosses up to 03080, crosses up to 03103, all given at 88C-100C and shown in some specs as cold weather apps in General EPC.

General EPC for 3B/13BT shows 90916-03077 crosses up to 03102 all given at 82C-95C.

hth's

gb

Canuck: Replace your heater core hoses too, and using gentle domestic pressure flush both ways on each heater core. Do this a few times, till the water runs clear. It's amazing what comes out of the heater cores. Remove the block drain, and stick the hose in there as best you can too, flush, then flush from the top. Visit your loacl trusted rad shop and see if they recommend any product off the shelf to start with...

I recall reading some good posts on flushing in one of the sections here, but don't recall which one.

hth's

gb

Thanks for the tips Greg. This may sound like a stupid question, but what is the best way to access the heater core? Are there two? One for the main and then one for the rear seat heater?

I used the part number you posted in an old thread for the 4 core rad, 16400-58170. Toyota wasn't sure what it was for and it is a different part number than what would apply to a '85 BJ70. But it was in stock in Toronto and should be here in a couple days. I plan to replace as many hoses as possible since some of them are kinda crunchy.

I know for a fact they are not the same stat as the 74 stat is shorter by half an inch. This is very important if you want faster warm up time. The 70 stat will work fine but it will take longer to warm up. The 74 stat has an upper and a lower seat and it is nicer to have a diesel warm up faster in the winter. How much are you paying for the new rad? and what type of coolant should one use? I noticed tha 4wheeloffroad has kits for hoses for the bj74.

I know for a fact they are not the same stat as the 74 stat is shorter by half an inch.

Ya'll got me curious with that, so I phoned my local Toyota dealer and asked them for a thermostat for a 1985 BJ70. Guess what...they came back with in stock, and current number was 90916-03103, which goes back to 03080, which goes back to 03059, all given at 88C-100C and shown as cold weather application. Those are the same numbers as shown for the JDM 13BT application.

When I had replaced my t-stat I bought one from toyota that works on a Bj70. It works, but it is shorter and now it takes longer to warm up because the engine warm up bypass is always open.

So I don't know what thermostat they gave your mreekster, but it does not appear to be the correct one, or was in the wrong box. Do you have the box still, so we can run the number?

To confirm and be clear...the Cdn BJ70 takes the same thermostat as the JDN 13BT.

I've ordered a 90916-03102 (the 82-95C stat) to check side by side with the 03103. It's coming from California.

hth's

gb

How much are you paying for the new rad? and what type of coolant should one use? I noticed tha 4wheeloffroad has kits for hoses for the bj74.

I paid $450 plus tax from the local Toyota dealer

well my 74 is an auto so unless the manual tranny truck has a different stat, this is what had occurred. When I was putting in the stat and noticed the difference and went to Ateb to check with what they had for t-stats and it was the same toyota Bj70 stat that I had got from Toyota. I would like to see what you get. What toyota
Dealer did you get the rad from Canuck? What about what kind of coolant is the best choice?

I got it from Open Road Toyota in Port Moody. I got a better price since I got it through a buddy who gets a shop discount. I just use the regular old green coolant.

Canuck, so to confirm you bought a 13B-T stock 4 core new rad from Toyota for $450.

That's good news if it's not a re-cored 3 core made into a 4 core.

Can you post a couple of pics when it arrives?

Craig.

Here's some pics

DSC00820.JPG

DSC00821.JPG

DSC00822.JPG

DSC00823.JPG

DSC00825.JPG

You can tap a garden hose T (available from C-tire) into your heater hose under the hood and flush from there. Make sure to open up the heater control. Use a good quality coolant recommended for diesels.

well my 74 is an auto so unless the manual tranny truck has a different stat, this is what had occurred. What about what kind of coolant is the best choice?

Here is a picture of the 3B/13BT 88C stat.

I am partial to Toyota Red coolant, but any will do, as long as you don't mix the red and green. The Toyota diesels we need to worry about in Canada (3B/13BT/2H/12HT/1HZ/1HD-T) are not wet sleeved, so you do not have to ensure you have a diesel coolant designed for wet sleeved diesels.

hth's

gb
3B-13BT Thermostat.jpg

this is my original stat. It measures 3.5 inches from top to bottom.I guess the only way to find out if it is the correct one is to pull out the original

Last edited:
Question about the hoses. I plan to clean the removable metal parts (NOT the aluminum ones) with muriatic acid. Some of the rubber hoses that are going to be hard to find replacements for I plan to get some of the scale off by letting the hoses sit in the acid for a few minutes. Will this affect the integrity of the hoses at all

Remove the block drain, and stick the hose in there as best you can too, flush, then flush from the top.

gb

Where is the block drain plug located at?

Landcrusher80

Block drain is back of the engine, left side. 14mm brass plug iirc, into a larger reciever which is into the engine block.

hth's

gb

Got the 82deg stat, and here is a picture of the two stats side by side. Both are referenced for the 3B and 13BT in different parts of the world. They cross to other applications too.

The 103 is the Cdn BJ70 spec (and JDM 13BT) while the 102 is the 82 deg stat.

Both are the same dimensions.

hth's

gb
3B-13BT-Stats.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom