13bt not wanting to start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
the BJ74 is having trouble starting, haven’t had any issues in the past year and I drive the vehicle everyday, I have reason to believe that there is air in the fuel line. The truck starts and turns off after 2 seconds. I realize my fuel was a little low. So filled up 3 gallons with my jerry can and still the same. Any help would be appreciated Guys

Have you tried pumping the fuel primer to see if the system is fully primed before starting?

Also, make sure that the vacuum shut off system is all hooked up and working properly. I believe the 13B-T may have a low oil shut off sensor as well, there was a thread about a similar problem a couple of months ago.

Have you tried pumping the fuel primer to see if the system is fully primed before starting?

Also, make sure that the vacuum shut off system is all hooked up and working properly. I believe the 13B-T may have a low oil shut off sensor as well, there was a thread about a similar problem a couple of months ago.
The fuel filter has a pump on it ?

It is either on the fuel filter housing or down on the LH side of the block near the injection pump. I’m not sure which setup the 13B-T has.

It is either on the fuel filter housing or down on the LH side of the block near the injection pump. I’m not sure which setup the 13B-T has.
Yea I have to check when I get home. I know it’s not a big issue but need to track down where that pump is on the 13bt. Totally my fault for driving the truck on low fuel. My fuel gauge doesn’t work after less then half a tank but I fill up every week. But was thrown off after having the truck In the shop for a week for the front knuckle rebuild

Thank you for all the quick reply’s guys love this forum for this same reason

Not 100% sure if the fuel pump is the same setup as the 3B (non-turbo) but I had this issue on one of my 42's that was similar. I would have to prime, then it would start fine, and run great until I shut it off for a while. Turned out there is a fabric type diaphragm in the fuel pump that had a hole start in it.... and it would allow the fuel to go back to the tank, hence the need to prime. Inexpensive part, and relatively easy to change out.

As the hole gets bigger, the idle on the engine will slowly increase when at stand still. This is another indication. But start with priming to see if that fixes it as @AirheadNut suggested, then also inspect for any leaks (fuel out, or potential air getting IN). Primer on the 3B was down by the injection pump. Not sure on the 13BT. Good luck! Persistence and Patience are your friends here and they will always win out. 👍

Turned out there is a fabric type diaphragm in the fuel pump that had a hole start in it..

The 13BT does not have this goofy diaphragm nonsense like the 3B.
Instead, the 13BT has this goofy vacuum shutdown butterfly-valve nonsense.

EDIT: although, the primer pump is the same between inline injection pump 3B's and 13BT's. I don't know nuthin' 'bout no rotary injection pump 3B-II's.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom