12V conversion question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

Just working through my mess of a wiring harness. I was told that my FJ had a 12V conversion, and so far I have found that the gauge cluster doesn't have the drop resistor, the starter says 12V on it and the alternator is also 12V (and 105amps! ... thats too much I think). So in my mind, yes this has been converted, HOWEVER, it just will not start with 12V (it slowly turns over but never starts) and if I get frustrated and hook up 24V it starts immediately.

I'm wondering what else is needed for the 12V conversion so I can check it out, also if anyone has any ideas why it feels like I'm trying to start a 24V system with 12V when I try to start it with 12V. ... maybe there is a short somewhere in the harness, I noticed a lot of big problems in the harness from improper splicing of wires to straight up melted wires! (not from me starting with 24V, this was before I got there).

Thank you!

A little more information as to your ride might help. Things like year, model, engine, etc.. It's hard to diagnose when you don't know what you're working with.

A little more information as to your ride might help. Things like year, model, engine, etc.. It's hard to diagnose when you don't know what you're working with.

Thanks Byron, did the classic focus on the issue more than giving people the info needed to help me.

It's a 76, FJ40 with the OEM F engine. Should probably also mention that it has an aftermarket MSD ignition. Also a chance this is not installed correctly/working and is the problem.

My next step with the fix is to try to find all parts that need to be swapped to do the 24V conversion, and double check that they have been swapped. My list so far is:

- alternator (check)
- starter (check)
- gauge cluster (check)
- fuel sending unit (unchecked)
- ???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom