12ht water temp (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi guys just a quick question, done a search but found nothing. i have just installed a water temp gauge to my 12ht and am just wondering, what is the max temp i can hit and at what temp should i start to back off.
cherz jason

Hi Jason,

If your cooling system is in good condition, including the fan clutch working effectively, you shouldn't have any problems with overheating. The thermostat is 82*C if I recall, maybe 88*C.

I've never seen mine heading much north of the middle mark on the dashboard temperature gauge.

What temps are you seeing, and where is the pickup. Is it electric or copper cable temp gauge?

Tim

the gauge i bought is in F so it is normally around 180 most of the time. i have it plumed into the radiator top hose. i am just wondering when i should start to worry, i was driving up the big hill just out of Midland on Great Eastern hwy and they got up to around 200 maybe 210 cant quite remember, how ever on the stock gauge it got up to half.
just really wondering what tamps these engines can handle.
cherz

Hi,.

That's called Greenmount Hill Jason. With my gbentink turbo and intercooler, I can accelerate up there at 70km/hr and 80km/hr at any point. Coolant temp rises to the half way point and stays there. EGT are around 400°C pre turbo if I recall. Yes, it does make the engine work, but it's a sad excuse for a mountain in most parts of the world, or the east coast of Australia.

210°F = 98°C

100°C is boiling temperature of water under no pressure. Your radiator is under pressure created by the radiator cap, so this increases the boiling temperature to something higher - perhaps 120°C. There will be a chart somewhere. Check the pressure on your radiator cap and Google the new boiling temperature at this pressure.

Boiling coolant is bad as it creates overheating spots where the bubbles are. So the aim is to avoid boiling with good coolant and the appropriate radiator cap; it is not a matter so much of what the engine itself can take in the coolant area. Exhaust gas temperatures are far more important if the engine has been modified. With standard fuelling and turbo pressure there are no worries engine strain wise with a hill like Greenmount.

Some people, if they are keen, construct a steam bleed off the back of the engine where the coolant is always hottest. The steam bleed allows any steam bubbles to bleed off - which is why it is called a steam bleed. .... :doh: and allow coolant to clear the heat from the engine components as it is designed to do. The 12h-t in an HJ61 with a rear passenger heater already has a lovely steam bleed built in. The outlet for the rear heater is just where you would want to vent the steam, so if you're really concerned, you could open the rear heater tap and ensure any steam could vent away from the head.

If the standard dash gauge has gone up to the half way mark, that is all mine ever gets to. I imagine the thermostat is wide open and the radiator is doing what it is meant to do. If it rises above the half way point, then the engine is creating more heat than the radiator can clear and I would back off, and most likely stop and check for any leaks or signs of a problem.

I hope this helps you understand what is happening here. BTW, make sure you've plumbed in the temp gauge nice and securely; the things that break are often the things we add on, not the standard bits.

EDIT:
At http://tuning.mbs.id.au/Misc_Topics/cooling.htm I found
<for every one PSI the boiling point increases 3.25F / 1.8C>

Tim

Last edited:
thank you for the info Tim very helpful just what i was after, greatly appreciated.
cherz jason

Hi everyone. I’d appreciate your thoughts.

I just 12HT swapped my 40. I’m using an aftermarket temp sender and gauge, and I have it coming from the back of the block.

At idle the engine easily hits 185f (85C).
Just driving around on flat roads, no load, second gear etc the engine maxed out at 210F (98C).

This seems pretty hot for an FJ40 and no load and flat ground.

Is it because of my sensor placement (see photo and finger) ? Is my engine running too hot?

6D5D134F-DCA1-4409-AE95-4D169E1C82B3.jpeg

FEE8EA8A-6F3F-4D9E-AD19-A53E1100EDD6.jpeg

992B8403-1237-4FB0-B7CC-4DE7574D2A4C.jpeg

I just 12HT swapped my 40. I’m using an aftermarket temp sender and gauge, and I have it coming from the back of the block.

Just driving around on flat roads, no load, second gear etc the engine maxed out at 210F (98C).

Is it because of my sensor placement (see photo and finger) ? Is my engine running too hot?

What is the ambient temperature where you are? Not having a fan shroud in place wont help. Have you got access to any other way of verifying temperature?

My factory gauge - at just above half way is 102 degrees celcius ( confirmed by a Redarc gauge and probe in the top of the thermostat housing). I am happy to travel all day sitting on 100km/hr at this temp - and have done so in high 45+ degree celcius ambient temperatures both towing and not towing. I have the Redarc alarm set to 105…
In cooler temps with the same load it will be anywhere from 82degrees up - depending on ambient temperature.
(Freshly built 12ht / manual / genuine water pump and viscous fan (with extra oil in the hub) / HD brass and copper radiator)

View attachment 3371580

View attachment 3371581

View attachment 3371582
No offense but I would not trust those cheap Chinese gauges to be accurate at all, I had the exact same one for a few weeks then installed a nice bosch gauge and the temperature difference was crazy.

Also I would definitely put in a radiator fan shroud, that will definitely help with the temps

fan shroud will help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom