12HT vs 2F (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes, that is why I think it would be a good choice for parts availability. I love a 1HDT but they are very hard to find.

My HJ61 is my spirit animal. It is the last cruiser I'll ever sell.

Pros:
-The asynchronous growl of the 12HT (someone on here said that, not me, but it's perfect to describe the growl and grunt)
-Immediate off idle torque. Yeah, the numbers aren't that different on paper, but it's night and day to drive one.
-Drivability
-Turbo
-Turbo whistle
-the 12HT might be the best diesel Toyota ever made.

Cons:
-the 12HT is getting long in the tooth and parts availability globally is decreasing daily. If you buy one, buy EVERY available wear item. Get spares. Develop a global supply chain of vendors, shops, and friends. That said, there are still LOTS of them around and you can pretty much get what you need.
-A/C parts are hard to find, and expensive. Good luck. Ask @TeamJB - he can source the brackets.
-If you break something, and don't have it on your spare parts shelf, you'll be waiting for a while.
-Narrow power band, throttle is jumpy and can be difficult to drive offroad.

I have been lucky enough to have driven 2F, 3FE, 12HT, 1HZ, 1HD-T, and 1HD-FT cruisers for at least a year at a time (except the FT- I'm only at 6 months). The 1Hx series of motors is smoother and much more refined, with a wider power band and a superior H15x series of transmissions. But there is a visceral pleasure in the growling, grunting, snorting 12HT that makes me love it and always will. If you can find a Euro spec HJ61 in good shape, buy it immediately.

D63E9D0B-4A29-4614-8E82-8486ED0EEA67.jpeg

Pros:
-The asynchronous growl of the 12HT (someone on here said that, not me, but it's perfect to describe the growl and grunt)
-Immediate off idle torque. Yeah, the numbers aren't that different on paper, but it's night and day to drive one.
-Drivability
-Turbo
-Turbo whistle

Cons:
-the 12HT is getting long in the tooth and parts availability globally is decreasing daily. If you buy one, buy EVERY available wear item. Get spares. Develop a global supply chain of vendors, shops, and friends. That said, there are still LOTS of them around and you can pretty much get what you need.
-A/C parts are hard to find, and expensive. Good luck. Ask @TeamJB - he can source the brackets.
-If you break something, and don't have it on your spare parts shelf, you'll be waiting for a while.

I have been lucky enough to have driven 2F, 3FE, 12HT, 1HZ, 1HD-T, and 1HD-FT cruisers for at least a year at a time (except the FT- I'm only at 6 months). The 1Hx series of motors is smoother and much more refined, with a wider power band and a superior H15x series of transmissions. But there is a visceral pleasure in the growling, grunting, snorting 12HT that makes me love it and always will. If you can find a Euro spec HJ61 in good shape, buy it immediately.

View attachment 3282142
I love all this. Validates the deposit I placed on a Euro HJ61 earlier this week. I'm having it inspected on Tuesday and if the inspection comes back clean I plan on buying it. The 12HT just seems fun. Like the kind of setup I'll choose to drive most days even though my 100 series is more modern and comfortable

What are some examples of spares you recommend stockpiling? Belts and hoses?

I may be a *little bit* of a hoarder but I would go to Partsouq and get a complete gasket kit, for starters. Then get a timing case (or Aisin equivalent), and start looking for a/c parts. I buy every small part available for the motor itself (pushrods, rod bolts, etc.

The compressor itself is the same as an FJ62, FYI.

What year is the truck? If it is 24 V Euro spec quad headlight, you will have the happy luck of being able to fit LED lights without an adapter harness.

I may be a *little bit* of a hoarder but I would go to Partsouq and get a complete gasket kit, for starters. Then get a timing case (or Aisin equivalent), and start looking for a/c parts. I buy every small part available for the motor itself (pushrods, rod bolts, etc.

The compressor itself is the same as an FJ62, FYI.

What year is the truck? If it is 24 V Euro spec quad headlight, you will have the happy luck of being able to fit LED lights without an adapter harness.
It's an '89 with 24volt quad headlights, yes. Is there a particular set of LED replacements you recommend?

lc1.jpeg

Pros:
-Drivability
-Turbo
-Turbo whistle

Cons:

View attachment 3282142

I agree with this.

The first LC I drove was a diesel.

It was love at first sight, sound, and feel.

I loved the way it sounded at idle, and how much it shook at stoplights.

When I bought my first LC, it was a gasser, which was fine, but it didn’t excite me.

Most people here haven’t had the pleasure of a diesel cruiser.

@marshcat I am really liking the Holley Retrobrights I put on my (quad headlight) 80. I previously have run JW Speakers.

You have an intact turbo grille….sweeeet.

Get a full set of OEM power lock and window switches. The master switch runs about 250 and the individual window switches around $40 each. They come in handy.

I echo Galen and Kevin’s comments. Have a few 12HT rigs and IMO it’s the best drivetrain for a 60. If you’re worried about the 24V stuff you could build a clone and drop a 61 drivetrain into a domestic 12V FJ60. I actually like the 24v better as everything jumps so quickly (starter, power windows etc. ). I’ll make this real easy for you…Get to know Galen as he’s the king of channel :). If something can be found he’s already done it :).

Jimmy, dangit, you stop that. Everything I know about the 12HT I learned from you and @roma042987. You guys are the kings of this motor and platform.

Jimmy, dangit, you stop that. Everything I know about the 12HT I learned from you and @roma042987. You guys are the kings of this motor and platform.
Ha…Roma started all this sh*t and then I saw your euro spec and I was sold!!!

Not to hijack the thread, but this guy said the 12HT is a chronic oil burner…. I’m guessing it’s not true?

@ 9:00

Not to hijack the thread, but this guy said the 12HT is a chronic oil burner…. I’m guessing it’s not true?

@ 9:00

None of mine have ever burnt oil, even one with ~750,000 km

@marshcat I am really liking the Holley Retrobrights I put on my (quad headlight) 80. I previously have run JW Speakers.

You have an intact turbo grille….sweeeet.

Get a full set of OEM power lock and window switches. The master switch runs about 250 and the individual window switches around $40 each. They come in handy.
Do the Holley's support 24volts? I know the JW Speakers do and I've seen some other 24v compatible semi-truck headlights too.

Screenshot_20230326-122759.png

Damn. That’s right, I’d try @torfab’s 4x6s. Price point is incredible. You should only have to flip the polarity of the high beam and repin from h4 to h4656 and everything will work.

Pros:
-Drivability
-Turbo
-Turbo whistle

Cons:

View attachment 3282142
There is something just incredible about the 12HT, and I'm not even a diesel guy generally. But it suits the 60 series perfectly, and just feels unstoppable. People call it a tractor motor, and it does feel like that (Toyota did use it for forklifts)... Puts a big grin on my face every time I start it up, especially with the 24v system. It starts as soon as you even twitch the key past acc. Instantaneous is putting it lightly. Add in a boost controller and a 3" exhaust and you're even better off. I can accelerate up the steepest grades on I70 in 5th... Not something many 60s can say. And I haven't even touched the fuel screw.

Ironically I took a spin in my HJ61 for the first time in months today. My Tundra is in the shop so I was getting Stoffel ready to take to work. Damn I love this rig! It's seriously been sitting for months and it just starts right up. I have owned mine since 2014 and I seriously love the damn thing! Before I bought mine I also looked at an LS swap, but couldn't stomach the 11-14 mpg. Stoffel gets 19 mpg no matter what speed I go or what I throw in it. Get the 12H-T and don't look back!

Looking good. Will you be checking it out in person before buying?
I'm working with a importer who is inspecting the rig on my behalf. He comes highly recommended and is an experienced importer/exporter/restorer of Land Cruisers and Land Rovers. He's going to go through the HJ with a fine toothed comb early this week, and if all looks good I plan on purchasing. There are a few small spots of body rust I would have addressed but it looks like a good, honest truck with original paint

hj5.jpeg

hj2.jpeg

hj3.jpeg

hj4.jpeg

hj6.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom