12ht vs 1hdt (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

I am planning on doing a diesel conversion on my cruiser and was wondering what your thoughts were on the differences of the 12ht and a 1hdt in a 62. Is the 12ht an easier conversion? The 1hdt has more power than the 12ht but as far as track records, which would you all think would be better and why. Thank you for your time!

caleb

Hey all,

I am planning on doing a diesel conversion on my cruiser and was wondering what your thoughts were on the differences of the 12ht and a 1hdt in a 62. Is the 12ht an easier conversion? The 1hdt has more power than the 12ht but as far as track records, which would you all think would be better and why. Thank you for your time!

caleb

There is a 1000 pages already on this if you search. The 12HT will bolt to your transmission

There are one of each of these engines on ebay right now, very tempting. I have a 97 FZJ80 in my driveway I am considering a swap into. The 12HT is about $2000 less than the 1HDT. Are they both mechanical? Will the 1HDT bolt to the A343 trans in the 97? I could swap to an A442 (3FE trans, correct?) and use the 12HT?
Just thinking
Rusty

There are one of each of these engines on ebay right now, very tempting. I have a 97 FZJ80 in my driveway I am considering a swap into. The 12HT is about $2000 less than the 1HDT. Are they both mechanical? Will the 1HDT bolt to the A343 trans in the 97? I could swap to an A442 (3FE trans, correct?) and use the 12HT?
Just thinking
Rusty

Both of those engines come with an auto trans BTW.

Are they both mechanical? Yes if you mean they are not controlled by an ECU.

The 3FE comes with an A440 which is the same as the 2h and probably the 12ht. They will interchange, but not entirely. The bellhousing is different and the shift points are different - they have a different valve body and torque converter.

The HDT will bolt to the auto from a FZFE but you will need a flex plate. The comments regarding tc and shift points probably apply here too Im not sure.

FWIW there is something shady about this ebay seller. I purchased a 13BT from another company (soshin stc) that is somehow related to this seller. Apparently they imported these engines, but for some reason they are up for sale by this other guy.
I have spoken to soshin about these engines and they have absolutely no supporting info regarding the engines history and/or current state. The do not do compression tests and they argue that if a diesel will test fire than it must be good. They cant tell you what year the engines came from or the actual mileage. If you look at their other items you will see that they list every one with 50-60K miles. How is that possible?

Research Soshin - you will find bad comments on the web about them.

Im currently working on a conversion with the 13BT I got and keeping my fingers crossed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom