12H-T intercooler install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.toontoys.ca
Intercooler going in. It's a bit of a pain, I will need to relocate some AC lines and I am going to buy a new, long and skinny transmission cooler to go just above the intercooler. It's not bolted up yet, but it is getting close.

From the turbo. Not much clearance on this side with the alt and AC lines.
intercooler002.jpg

Piping coming out the front:
intercooler001.jpg

intercooler in:
intercooler005.jpg

bottom valance on:
intercooler007.jpg

grill back on:
intercooler008.jpg

the down pipe my buddy Kieth made for me. the piping fits inside so we can tig it from there and still have room for the bolts. It is beveled on the inside to go ftom the 2" ID stock flange to the 2.5" OD piping.
intercooler004.jpg

intercooler003.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice. Did you have "before" EGT measurements to compare when you're done?

You betcha. I even got an IR temp gauge so that I can get the before and after the intercooler numbers.

You betcha. I even got an IR temp gauge so that I can get the before and after the intercooler numbers.

Nice.
A guy on outerlimits took a photo of his intercooler with a thermal imaging camera, that was really impressive.

Yup, that was a cheapo for $55. The hose/clamps/piping was another $200

I figure it was worth a shot

Do you have a link to the one you bought? Looks like a good fit in the 60. I know there is at least one company that lists what seems like hundreds of them.

Thanks

eBay Motors: CXRacing INTERCOOLER INTEGRA CIVIC CRX DEL SOL ACCORD (item 250222504329 end time Mar-12-08 15:30:00 PDT)

That is the one I got but it was on sale for $55. I then gave them a grocery list of what I needed for pipes and what not.

It is a tight fit. I needed to hog out the back side of my grill and lose the support for the hood latch. It woulld be MUCH nicer without the AC rad. You would have lots of room to work with. My square headlights also restricted access to the inside of the truck. Having round lights would give you more options on the width.

I would have considered going taller, but I believe the tranny cooler is a must have out front.

Brad .. nice setup.

Just a note .. you plan allow your intercooler support all the weight and forces that produce the hood lock ?

Nope, if you look at the third picture down, I have a set of hood pins that hold the weight of the hood. The latch is just there safety reason now as you need to have a two stage latching system to run on the streets here in SK. The hood pins being my primary and the latch being the second.

Nice work as always DUDE, your threads are fun to follow.

How did you decide on the size for the intercooler? Is there any science involved or was it a "it looks good and the price is right" decision? I am going to find one for my 1hz

It took these numbers and divided by 2 as there is no intake on the combustion stroke (thanks 83bj60)

600 cfm flow rate is 16990L/min

4L engine at 2500rpms is 10000L per minute/2 is 5000L/min

With a .5 drop at 15psi (according to the intercooler specs)

It sounds OK to me. I guess the bigger you go the better cooling you could have. You will also suffer from greater turbo lag the bigger you go. Not a concern for me.

It sounds OK to me. I guess the bigger you go the better cooling you could have.

That's it .. happy medium that place you in between good cooling capabilities and reasonable turbo lag

So how are things working out on this?? Pics??? Numbers??

Well, like all projects that initial look simple, when you actually get right down to it and start tightening things back up, I ran into a few problems.

The intercooler has to sit about an inch lower then in the previous pictures. That means that I had to cut the lower valance and repaint. I also needed to cut out the back of the grill a lot more then I thought. I also had to repaint my holes that I cut through the body.

I am also awaiting two more 45* silicon elbows.

My other issues was my tranny cooler. It was to be mounted above the intercooler but didn't fit. I had to search out a much smaller cooler and reinstall. I also ended up installing a PS cooler in front as well for my hydro assist.

While I was at it I decided to black out the grill and headlight trim. That meant blasting and painting all the plastic trim. I also went black on the intercooler so that it doesn't stand out.

It's coming along. I will get some new pictures up tonight.

I hope engine cooling won't be an issue... :rolleyes: Not sure what I am going to do about that if it is.

intercooler009.jpg

The Toyota is going to go body color and I will reinstall the red diesel trim piece.

intercooler011.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom