<-- (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I love a good unsearchable thread title. :hillbilly:

To clarify , that there is an arrow pointing left, because I'm sick to death of sitting on the right hand side of the 61 to drive it.

Took this pic almost exactly 6 years ago , driving away from the a****** of the universe as fast as the 61's unbalanced yokohama snow tires and blown steering stabilizer would allow.

2014-08-23 15_00_30.jpg

Didn't think I'd own it this long in it's current state.

At the time, I'd mostly bought the truck with an engine swap into a green 40 series project I was starting to think about in mind, but I don't like killing cruisers, and this is still too good a truck to murder.

The blue 60 was another matter. I used tongs and a hazmat suit to remove all the fabric parts because you could have cloned an army of Bradfords with the dna in that thing. 🤮

So yesterday, I dug the blue 60's firewall out, and had a go with a spot weld cutter. I went for the Blair branded one. Supposedly better? Who knows.

The moment the first cutter noticeably lost a bit of it's edge was when it actually had to cut weld and not just the tin around it because the center punch wasn't all that centered.
Removing the one in the truck should be easier, because I'll be able to properly lean into the cutter. With a loose firewall I had to do it one handed for the most part and hang onto the tin with the other hand. Blair kit came with 3 cutters and I'm still on the first one, so I don't think it'll be an issue. Didn't even have to use a zip cut at any point yet.

Had one side off in about 1.5 hours, did the other side this morning in a bit less time.

Worst part is that curved bit that extends down from the corners of the windshield where you have to drill through double thickness.

Still wasn't that big a deal, went pretty quickly.
IMG_20200812_092849.jpg
IMG_20200811_115837.jpg

I read through @PeeZed 's old thread, photobucket ate most of his pictures, and it actually seems like that might have been the only thread on 60 firewall swaps on the internet.

I tried to pick his brain, but I think he's blocked out the memories. :lol:

No biggee, now that I have my head around which spotwelds to cut I can wing it from here. Kinda how I roll anyways.

Current plan is to do the spotwelds down the sides, and then cut horizontally at the base of the vertical section, possibly flange it.

This plan is subject to change without notice.

Reason being I can avoid getting into body mount bs that way, and I'm not greatly concerned about it all being factory at the end. ICBC ****ed this trucks resale value the day it landed by putting a BC applied vin on it, so the big money douchebag sale to the states has never really been an option. Any new seam will be under carpets anyways, so who really cares.

So rather than spend another 6 years bitching about it, ****it.

Lots of spare vehicles around right now with Mel working from home.

So tomorrow morning when I get home from work, I'll affix the caffeine I.V. and start banging the fenders off the old girl.

See what kindof a mess I can make.

Last edited:
Fork yes, Glad that blue 60 could die for something so noble. This is going to be a good one.

I did a RHD to LHD conversion with a 70 series years ago. It was a big project but worth it in the end. Project Mini Me. I'm parting a 60 as well if you're in need of the odd bit.

Cool. If it wasn't for the wipers I'd be tempted to do the same as you. I could possibly cut the spot welds on the horizontal seam that runs across but I'm not sure if that would actually make things any easier. I suspect not.

Should definitely make the 61 more liveable. It'll actually be like gaining a vehicle, currently the wife doesn't like driving it at all, and does so rarely that it's like a new thing every time, which isn't much fun for her.

So if we ever went anywhere in it and visited friends I had to behave and drive home. Honestly this might be the main reason for doing this. :lol:

I drove the RHD from rad cruisers in Duncan to Abbotsford and that was enough for me. Can't turn left safely. Can't pass, not that we have the power to do it but if I did I wouldn't feel safe without a spotter in the passenger seat. I contemplated swapping the whole firewall as well. You will have to sleeve the "A" pillar if you go that route.

Yeah rhd is a pain. I barely notice it driving anymore, but climbing in to the truck still feels awkward even after 6 years. Does a good job of keeping a guy away from fast food...but so does covid. :crybaby:

It's different on a 60. I won't be cutting the pillars, just the spotwelds that hold in the firewall panel.

Pillars and a slice across the floor would certainly be a quick and dirty method tho.

Only a couple inches of seam are even visable when the fenders are on, so I won't need too much bodywork. Just have to give it a squirt of something more neutral than smurf blue .

Awesome.

Most don't think of the complexity actually involved. Firewall, wipers, steering system, wiring, speedo cable... even the front door panels have to be swapped (unless the passenger gets all the switches.

Speaking of switches, is your truck electric or manual windows? I kinda thought all the JDM Diesels were glacial paced electric.

Whatever the case, If Toshi can stick on a 1/2 tub and not have it fall off you'll be golden in a day or two right? :lol:

Awesome.

Most don't think of the complexity actually involved. Firewall, wipers, steering system, wiring, speedo cable... even the front door panels have to be swapped (unless the passenger gets all the switches.

Speaking of switches, is your truck electric or manual windows? I kinda thought all the JDM Diesels were glacial paced electric.

Whatever the case, If Toshi can stick on a 1/2 tub and not have it fall off you'll be golden in a day or two right? :lol:
Yeah, there's lots of s***, but also lots I can delete. AC , power antennae, cb antennae, rear heater, and that ****ing headlight sprayer are gone for sure, and then on the maybe list, power mirrors, windows, rear wiper. More fripperies I'm forgetting.

I figure the electrics will take the longest by far.

I have wire strippers, solder and a decent stockpile of heat shrink...(growing as we speak. :hillbilly: )

I do have power windows, and a set of spare doors with a spare motors so I'll probably stick with them. They're actually not slow at all in this thing, it's the 80 series that have the awful window systems. They all suck as far as I've seen.

But, if getting the windows working turns into an annoying cluster ****, I kept the blue doors with the manual windows. Power windows are a necessity with RHD if you ever want to get a drive thru coffee, but I could see ditching them. Although being able to control the rears for the fur bags is kind of nice.

Yep. I use words. It's why we have them.

Don't feel obliged. Lots of picture books online for you. :flipoff2:

I f***ing HATED every second I was in PG. :meh:
I know, i know, but pics are more effective and straight to the point. Peter Roget is probably thrilled that you "thumb to and fro" through his verbal diarrhoea of printed (most times useless and forgotten) words and phrases in well described yet missing the accompaniment of "PICS"!
More pics!
PS: i have a bunch of 60 Sheit(is that a word?) that needs a better home. Let me know!:hillbilly:

I know, i know, but pics are more effective and straight to the point. Peter Roget is probably thrilled that you "thumb to and fro" through his verbal diarrhoea of printed (most times useless and forgotten) words and phrases in well described yet missing the accompaniment of "PICS"!
More pics!
PS: i have a bunch of 60 Sheit(is that a word?) that needs a better home. Let me know!:hillbilly:

Lol thesaurus. Pfft... useful for cheating at online Scrabble.

All those old threads with guys clamouring for pics like baby seagulls are mostly useless now that the picture hosting links are broken. :rolleyes:

Anyways, yeah there's a good chance I'll need some 60 s*** when I can't pound a square plug into a round hole no matter how hard I hit it.

Bradford and I are still threatening to have a covid beer.

Don't worry, it'll be your side of the malahat. Wouldn't want you to have a panic attack, they can be dangerous at your age. :flipoff2:

Last edited:
Well, glad to see this. Was really hoping you’d keep it.

8am...

V2ttWtYGE38K4uRzoMlxeJY7PMz0FhCtClZywOgCbrn--5nVZCNAe5jNC8-f3wVfLqAEb2lJC61nrwCDGGw4fI0k_fxfjKTVtzuQmje3YSOZ3l5iylmjrIvesQ3KaUSfy6wuyZB4LEIJP6ESrMQxVtP22ybLs4DKIMDDh8YvRjYoGt3_vN_xvlGLHgt_6tPTfOsvQpfiKVTAzbsYAnpeZ4gZdbTz5ASdCEKi_VbFpZCmIREyssIT2gKg7kBhsXOOH2FoUkQktv0QTQXaegfv3AL5UiVvxDggG9f13Cn8RQYFMvjJQCbFBCs0ndcGMa29BwudHmJSKkuAk479h0TFeCy3gncgtjsalFl8B06AMX4XyNpoHYmrwRDoGDd000OfhLvrQCS6V5l7AcW7Gg7GV9fZPi4cbLmapg2kfxz0q6_DE2oQTEl4OOJONA9mtmJXNQQh2T6JSq2U0IcFcMMcIsMtt8P3Xe4lIUnDIpAULmJKZTVi1vXlS65yb5968kiIsmTY36XQsZuZ7QCugQhWVjsO77fxF7vKnbpNF9J89sg1L0hzT72ooOKFsN7yJqPomTglaTsYRfnEEReIhje80HGio0gpJZSsQ3olTDwpgftoXOoXrzqapuf8KH2Q-RkoS8AtFEflKiM3Qy-_Du08x5MJ8_hb90FGlvkezvh9qWXwdwRJl7KZrNrL6vqw_w=w834-h625-no

And now at almost 1pm.

WHdne1AQzskCIgCnN6mYoaB-lkCBIsqZcM_6ohBa2JRMV998XvmcCWUGcNHjAVNURR5uIoyMwprGECu_vnI6h7UyG38BYgcXYxarU8KeiBGiLus-xiG7bb3QseVz9JAgY0QPgtRZhf7kjpRhno2KlQp0YpG8wKQHKX4rlZEZGju2ew54oVOVlXYUnWK_LXNC0hKO_VC2ItAjO-17BsonhrweFEzDbEpQ6O5uk4ZYgUpQm6s_RVZp7_Vh7L8iWa0b6casz5QUe2d4rngqFY1h2ZnpfR39LpnuJYpehp2I6MqkRWJzx_WCr93Bs4jN6o-_qaHbgrdGNBhY-Wc2lrOrDPW7lUIGzc2HnJLeulophbwoUQtAkMPMgh1Iasnjwc0GlpVZRtmTgkVFPrTbxd-6Q6YVn5QLIIyi5o_UQMGJ1gnmEesK3zwIu-h1ywkvk31rMnQQBJ0-VQsdMHEtYOw-tOQXnYNuASy8a8YisdUk00p70fQIb3wz94-ONAE868LvFigH8FM1YWgry7org0YhVpXRGmpM2n1K6VaxKjDTJOUSE-3PS1ZlhGveWbtxjekjLc9uXf6H2KGLu4RdfNBQ7RX-xZdIjWW8SJlNz85WTIFM-udZGSZ5mbBQKG_1wXeM6zFzilYFD5bVPFqjMYU7fqKC2We21p-ZMrSB3G7IygA3b9l3fsMozJPcG5NpXg=w834-h625-no

A lot less s***.

There was barely a fart of freon left in the AC system, so I don't feel too bad about "accidentally" releasing the gas...

If anything was going to make me decide to not keep power windows, it'd be those fawking connectors for the door harnesses that are half hidden in the pillars :bang:

Yet another coffee break. There isn't enough caffeine in the world right now...I might sleep a little tonight.

Is there a 60 on earth where these ****in things aren't plugged full?

N2t01JYzKQkuHZsofU6mpr0XfDiB6wEiHnGICHqwk0L7tfCk9lukJ9I7wRf1EzAeNxudpdrBJ3KhoNnm2_DqnTiJAKv3uNU8vFszSXnNr1CvMMUozwArmFzejNR27nco7Ls6zUkViS6mvWuT0SZG2CAA6TUDFnOrfnNkrXZJjc4dRzn3x8vBmjdFksRvik0SdEWWc8NGTEWwcnXP8AWgsRMCIKW4P8up2_sNE_BClLS02SiolRe3mrKmiX0pPBwdHoU0Ak-bLGcGronbDuoVnLkevx-4W-hKAF-SNEgf1QRYd249QWnN2yuOeoufvvv2uyCdcXlOKOZJBn3EgQt0wUAQAcaOaS9Xgsj70BlOHBSQeydYfMy_pUiC5P6jkr_7NoRuyuIdzsT65tYcSBvni-MwnXd88QmX0joSVRXOdem6swz37PYQXjT5vEIJ36CvlaGN77C1Obt_04Dk9AurFjdfM1kkU4M_350LziOnFOota_BxGO2AwBr_pS3yd_-kBA1MzPPQzWZlK3rQBruoigrEoh5fhMhMNIyOo3ce_6v44wtmcWvGYYGmx72wKBcpjunmV1cc_QzhAFqEyxv5ZMbzVSyZSdgjR-ms9FJuKSmo-gFF1IL9vvNkaBItJ9En75SJGQrhB1USEvLc9bUZeqrdYCIxs3kP0kLjCZEAPNoPtn0DRpVD7lomIZT3Qg=w469-h625-no

Managed to get the windshield out without it becoming any more smash ****ed than it already was. I've been putting off getting new glass for years because I wanted to do this.
I figured at least if it was in one piece I could duct tape it in so I could make it to a glass shop for a new one.

Wearing ski goggles with no windshield might be pushing it even for Cedar :hillbilly:

w5hSFLzYvNnvk4489a2rQszvrElgMi05CB7a-q_DAU2bXC1FZ28-dOUYpXhkZ65uTlBU-wKnxyrb148iFNEA5imqQPrz9qbfGnh2gY4C5xCFH3lUWd9oTCyXSAR28LQQPOLhY0pnU3svhszw_5LOZphpvDD3nYRPtsRVShKv6PGJOz2vt60ndX1sqE2FEKFl-li7pR9AP6ZJXTy-E4F3vQXCw0FyIGEwKoKpBrzHmJy37ekVSyk1gpNbwtcgM_B5btX3nHnR5kJJl4rriv0PMQDpMIq-qJp1G7TJaRNOL6DzD6pVzkyYoTSQiBOF57qPNy8FiuNoK84nBq-fp4z10t1KEBLZE-81RL-CAd4HWfpLcQEuQJhtsAfvKXDuJoSeHj0vQ77nuza9mcNGQ0_a4N42vfc5t07huNmExWGoTH6TYAVz3zgHfqett4xt1n-yiJNOwtQKL-ALbhpV0aT6YrUYRwatwPQ2IHqTzaD7Eayduom6WXm_4rpm_EecyYz7AFl55OEc6lwbDuJIHV2z89_TRbwprkUrdj60cAE5Z_t6KfIoqFV3zEVhZzTSKRe_aJOqsZHzN2YyvIY9JV0qr3Y2Pha2Udn-DVsV3RDvwjqDmNIjVi5IDfeRJwUMpepj8u4nexHGfFn2Gm91zIOh09cWC4LVprQtrqbzQW1SPISHY3dvJuQzmZy0t1AO6g=w469-h625-no

These are the ones you need to drill out. It's double thickness so you have to go through two layers. I had a bitch of a time with that horizontal bit not wanting to release on the blue one, so ****it I just blew threw all 3 layers. :meh:

dg6EHiimtsxfwR1AAS2yq7MmiF78sxIBBD-Z5tO9Rpj0dR7xGc7sk2UDZjbfWdtF1xB8xhoSlNjyOCoKIjU4figBHH9dxlwf9_TvrAHXkhpaBE_aeEQwWWJUNtaJnSwH7h71_alrW_3XvmGLPVXiaNRh5d-TZ75r9phojGE8QexQ0rtwRq2BOsPpXaIIBoBV6qX_gseQj5DaVdtcBv6Qnx3yGKFblklxwMjzhN_JHjN0nToMMZU70e5uuajGwrSHd9NWWhOpE__t-wYMb27KoBeX_O-UuIax_MAxVAreaV8egpYovNFcL9t3TBlIB6Eo7SkorWpaOqCZYgHciNwQStOLTgUyHwMEOno-G0i-65BbqyLAYuq1s2voHtouaGvtbw6JxDsbB3asipv77KLKxOIXYgmWdqcPOiLpVMVrbV-RUPSDQLW5u5DZ9aoivwswI_4wGGKle71nKs8pE1VeUFt0l4fn1AxyJhGY1I4J0S6BxCTvwPgeYHEwi22H89VnTpoQORkRL1cySrj-kVC1zcyusMvA4hZaSLuxP2Wc7mf5ZC7eqWKLUQA1vA6mvBtf7JPuA5U8ZKBrIVGpbjXaTgo56yLlLQDkpdJvQ33H3GJOPOIpT9XgE0zLG9vKDhP4TSwkYgOB-sTADr8ybqMPWbwX3PMEYhOGnkn5s5zEgIcoiXM6O1Sd4N3ZPpR98Q=w469-h625-no

This is the awkward bit. It's brazed here. I found this little baby chisel works pretty well if it's nice and sharp to cut the sheet metal.
Not sure how I'll redo this...I don't have the technology to braze...might just weld the edge of the seam. :hmm:

It's actually loose in this pic. :grinpimp:
6xxFGEk8aYRNQCgqoEGNph9vEmfO653RUgysMxdQycK4vS6DnFGq-pKCndQWcCFv4RXAad1zJp4ixqNkVFjj_W5ZbtSiCgYb7fcPf_fhFyG6BHP5UmxP8Xwhg0s5ScOQfoXZdTQOEYYdhAEYd8UWHFgtH5alSIdJePOnvSSABclPxyn4XnQ8qI-hz0LkWW8UVbUzf2rIJTwG_N0IpK73lwdNhCl4y3mVVbvInIu-7Dy3oHa_7towXlRrRN2RTP4ZZybQlTs-lTP6PUKc6C30w-yg1UCZMnPB9go5QdxEgawAYvrKhC2wQ64Xz8T9qe734B4v51gangV0qivJUaobmZipHbuGifn-HIowb6PW57jE_YRcxI8SaUeBr250p6DNPM_ugTFtSVjvyczS8r6QGo6Of3oPXKpzhzId5pfcs2hj_DwKJd2UtrqRafVj_GIalXbj0B7-STtFA2vxPWB85BxiYCUGbPa76e9HhZ6w570gN2hC1O1DzR7ydOw_koYeCmtYQdft9sRo5Z6Ehw1G8UVuBajBix7ZOTqCADPBah3sQ4ZzvWQTnbHOJ49J2fAM73gpkTk0U9I7OEgr9sAu4haPzFsx-og9K8tUuzC6UuQpPpkTvPOyB_lloLKq13VC0RXbNGw5ENi-HGmgu9GJI8lqso0aIovLqO3I4r-MuiE1DL4r-fhiELcHYeVxQQ=w469-h625-no

Remember the middle bit is getting discarded, so bending it back like that isn't an issue in this case. What's underneath on the pillar is still pretty straight, and anyways, barely an inch of this is even visible once the fenders are back on.

Lot easier drilling spot welds when what you're drilling pushes back. Spot weld cutters are annoying things tho. The spring loaded center bit is virtually useless. A stronger spring might help, but for most of the welds I just popped a 3/16" drill through beforehand.

Didn't want to do that on that delicate spot at the windshield tho. Nice not to have the hole right through there.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom