12 volt vs. 24 volt? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Will Van

GOLD Star
Threads
I understand the respective advantages and disadvantages of a 12-volt electrical system versus 24-volt electrical system.

But is there any rhyme or reason as to which 70 series trucks came equipped with a 12-volt electrical system versus a 24-volt electrical system? I realize 24-volt is more common in diesel applications, but did all diesels have a 24-volt system? Is it related to year? Engine? Model? Region? Application? Or are there no clear "rules" for which trucks could potentially be equipped with a 24-volt system?

Thanks!

I asked a similar question, and it has to do with regions that have colder climates received the 24 volt system for the ease of cold starting. 12 volt is found in tropical climates, as for which is better , the 12 volt parts are more common. I have a 24 volt bj41.

I understand the respective advantages and disadvantages of a 12-volt electrical system versus 24-volt electrical system.

But is there any rhyme or reason as to which 70 series trucks came equipped with a 12-volt electrical system versus a 24-volt electrical system? I realize 24-volt is more common in diesel applications, but did all diesels have a 24-volt system? Is it related to year? Engine? Model? Region? Application? Or are there no clear "rules" for which trucks could potentially be equipped with a 24-volt system?

Thanks!

Market based.

Australia is 12V. My BJ74 is 12V from australia.
Some Europe is 12V I believe.

Japan is 24v

Prado's or LJ "light duty" are 12V as well.

Some have 24volt for starting only and are 12v vehicles.

Canada BJ70's were some 12v as well.

So, in typical Toyota form, there are lots of variation, but as to my understanding its dependent on its intended market.

NATO spec is 24v

100% market and vehicle specification based.

That said, most changed over to 24v start-12v house operation by the mid-1990’s, and then was pretty much phased out by the end of the 1990’s globally...

(except for NGO/Military/Govt applications that were based on fleet order).

Market based.

Canada BJ70's were some 12v as well.

I don't agree that voltage is market based. At least, if so, the Canadian market was very confused:

78-84 BJ4x's were 24V.
All BJ60's were 12V, but all the HJ60's were 24V.
The 1985 BJ70 was 12Volt, but then the 86-87 BJ70's were 24V.

I cannot explain why.

I don't agree that voltage is market based. At least, if so, the Canadian market was very confused:

78-84 BJ4x's were 24V.
All BJ60's were 12V, but all the HJ60's were 24V.
The 1985 BJ70 was 12Volt, but then the 86-87 BJ70's were 24V.

I cannot explain why.

Toyota don't like the Canuckistanians. :lol:

100% market and vehicle specification based.

That said, most changed over to 24v start-12v house operation by the mid-1990’s, and then was pretty much phased out by the end of the 1990’s globally...

(except for NGO/Military/Govt applications that were based on fleet order).
Thank you. Is there an easy way to identify 24-volt systems in OEM trucks?

Did any factory Toyota trucks come with dual batteries that were only 12-volt? Did all factory 24-volt trucks have dual batteries?

Obviously aftermarket setups are different - people add a second battery to 12-volt systems all the time.

There were definitely 12v vehicles that came with dual batteries, like some 70-series Prados and all 24v start 80-series, among others. All 24v vehicles will have 2 batteries.

There were definitely 12v vehicles that came with dual batteries, like some 70-series Prados and all 24v start 80-series, among others. All 24v vehicles will have 2 batteries.

Great intel! Thank you. I forgot about the 3rd category hybrid: 24-volt starter but 12-volt everything-else!

In the land cruiser world I would go for the cleanest cruiser you can afford rather than worry as much about 12 vs 24.
Agreed 100%! But I just like to know about all of the different systems and options across the years/models.
24v is great for winches because they only need half the amps compared to 12V ones
Yessir! It lowers the amp load across all of the electrical systems.

Agreed 100%! But I just like to know about all of the different systems and options across the years/models.

Yessir! It lowers the amp load across all of the electrical systems.

I can tell you good luck in learning all the systems available in the 70 series across years. I'm honestly not sure Toyota even knows what they deemed available in each market. :rofl:

According to @Onur There are over a 1000 different variations and iterations of the 7x.

But yes, getting the 12v/24v overview and generalizations can be helpful.

I can tell you good luck in learning all the systems available in the 70 series across years. I'm honestly not sure Toyota even knows what they deemed available in each market. :rofl:

According to @Onur There are over a 1000 different variations and iterations of the 7x.

But yes, getting the 12v/24v overview and generalizations can be helpful.
Agreed, it would be impossible to learn every combination. That's why the 70 series is so badass!

But I just like to be able to make general categories like, "Prior to the mid-90's, diesel cold-climate trucks typically had 24-volt electrical systems." Or whatever the hell the case might be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom