110,000 miles and beyond.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello.... my '99 100 LC just passed the 110,000 barrier. I've had the LC for 4 years (bought it used w/ 51k miles); changed the belts, plugs, and all the fluids at the 60k mark; changed the timing belt, water pump, etc at 90k mark. Do the regular oil change maintenance every 5k... Aside from the 02 sensors back around the 70k miles, the LC has not given me any major problems or anything. I drive it to Southern Cal from SF bay area around 3-4 times a year; and I don't baby it.. I drive it hard- 80-95mph... Question, should I just leave my LC home and rent a minivan next time because of the high mileage and not knowing if when/where it will break down??? Are there problem areas that I should be aware of at this mileage? Thank you in advance

hi i'm a newbie here, but from what i gather, if you haven't had a hiccup and you've taken care of it (sounds like you have) i wouldn't worry about.

now, if your reasoning is to put the miles on a rental rather than your LC, just to give the LC a breather, i say go for it..

any miles that don't rack up on your odometer are good miles...lol.

I am guessing that 100 miles down the road you really start to miss the comfort of your LC, but then at the gas station further down the road you are glad you made the decision to rent.
Surprised you are worried about yours when you have maintained everything as you have - no worries about breakdowns there - you likely have a more reliable vehicle than any rental you can get.

I am guessing that 100 miles down the road you really start to miss the comfort of your LC, but then at the gas station further down the road you are glad you made the decision to rent.
Surprised you are worried about yours when you have maintained everything as you have - no worries about breakdowns there - you likely have a more reliable vehicle than any rental you can get.

Made a 1500+ mile trip this weekend. Gas station stops hurt. It is a thirsty vehicle.

Thirsty yes but comfortable to drive and the view allows one to see up ahead for potential problems. When I do long miles with the family the LC 100 gets the nod almost always.

My back up is a 2000 LS 400. However I only use it when I am by myself. 28 mpg vs 16 mpg. Limited space vs the roomy interior and rear for hauling luggage.

Decisions.....decisions......what one must do in life.

As you can see my LC has over 100k miles. I purchased it with 84k. I did the water pump, timing belts, new brakes (Mr T), all fluids to synthetic, tires and belts. If you have done the same then I would feel very comfortable in the reliability of your LC.

Good Luck!

Now that you have it broken in I see no reason not to drive it. This is not high milage on a Toyota. The LC is probably going to be more reliable than any rental fleet vehicle.

- Highway miles are easy miles and a long hard run has benefits (gets fluids to "boil off" temps ect)

The following can need attention at 100k
- starter contacts (give warning before failing )
- OEM batteries can start to have problems (maybe more age than milage though)
- owners report improvements with new shocks but most are upgrading to Bilstiens so its not clear if the originals are wearing
- if when you had the plugs replaced at 60k they were not replaced with the OEM Iridiums then they likely need replaced again - If OEM then they are 120k plugs
- have you had the front bearings repacked?

I say try and wear it out. No one has yet.

FWIW, my buddy drives his Tacoma back and forth from LA to SF almost every week. He's got over 100k miles on it, doesn't maintain it half as well as you do, and doesn't drive the speed limit. He's never had a problem and isn't loosing sleep over it. I would guess that if a Tacoma can do it, that Land Cruiser can do it that much better.

mine has 135K and we drive it everywhere. Only time we have problems is when I created them with my driving, or improper tools. I think you should have absolutley no worries. If you are afraid, take it to the dealer and have them do a once over. It may catch something you missed. But we do our expensive maintinance to not have to worry about expensive fix's.
One thing I do when driving more than 1k a week, or about to hit a long trip, check the air filters. especially the in cabin. They get dirty and slow air flow which will cause the engine to work harder when it is hot on a long run.

But definately get it out. Biggest problem with LX/LC is they don't get driven and carbon builds up worse than an old lady's caddy! Run it, and when you hit 200, laugh out loud.

Thirsty yes but comfortable to drive and the view allows one to see up ahead for potential problems.

Totally agree on the view. It is incredible. I drove a civic for a few years and then a POS Chevy Corsica. When I bought my ES300, I was not expecting that awesome view. I loved it. Before I test drove a 100, I did not have it in mind that it can have a view as good as the ES. I think the LC's view is incredible and better than anything I have driven. And being high up rocks.

85mph is no sweat for the 2UZ. You're only going like 3K rpms, which is about what a toyota 4 cylinder runs at a much slower speed. And my 4 cyl 22re is at 21 yrs and 200K mi w/o showing any signs of stress. Plus the only big climb you have is the one over the Tehachapi mountains on I-5. The rest is flat as a pancake...very little stress on an engine. If you're worried about it, put some Mobil 1 0w40 in there before you go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom