100K Service (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I just hit the big 100k on my 2000LC with no major problems (knock on wood) and am bringing the truck in for service.

I am getting mixed messages about what to do and need some advice.

Obviously, I am doing the timing belt, seals, water pump & S- Belt at the same time, but two different dealers have told me they have not seen failures on the tensioners or idler pulleys.

Question is has anyone had failures & when? Can it wait till 200K?

I did the tensioners only becuase I found them new for CHEAP, if not I wouldnt have done them.

1990 FJ62
1986 FJ60
1982 FJ40 green
1982 FJ40 mustard
1978 FJ55
1967 FJ45LPB
1965 FJ40
1964 FJ45LV
and a few others.

Ain't know way your married :D

I wouldn't even do the waterpump as I haven't seen a single person on this board who had one fail.

Why buy a Toyota if you are going to replace the great parts before they get used?

Which seals are you replacing?

NMuzj100 said:
I wouldn't even do the waterpump as I haven't seen a single person on this board who had one fail.

Why buy a Toyota if you are going to replace the great parts before they get used?

Many people have discovered leaky water pumps when they do the timing belt at 90k. IMO, for $200, it's good insurance.

I did the water pump but not the tensioners. My mechanic inspected them and they looked fine.

me for one, when I replaced mine at 90K(on the dot) it was starting to leak from the weep hole and around the shaft, no drips on the ground yet though. I had specified replace the pump regardless.

NMuzj100 said:

I replaced my water pump during the same maintenance (93K) and specified to keep the parts.

Upon inspection it my have not been leaking, but it was really worn, and based on how it spins, the bearings are clearly worn. I bet it would have failed within 30-40K.

just my $0.02

Water Pump

I went in for my 90k service (at 94K miles) and was told I had to replace the timing belt. A few hours after I left the LC at the dealer, my service rep called me and said the water pump had a small leak. I questioned it because I had not seen any leaks. He told me that if I waited to replace it at a later date it would cost $600 to $800, but since they were already in there it would only be $374. To make a long story short, total cost for 90K mile service, timing belt and water pump = $1,374! I called a another Totota dealer a few cities away (Irvine, CA) and they quoated about the same price. At any rate, I was depressed as this was the one and only repair I've had to do on my '99 since I bought it new.

Like your timing belt, I'd consider the water pump a maintenance item rather than a repair. 6 years and no problems? I'd say that's pretty good!

You'll find lots of people on this board changed the water pump when they do the timing belt at 90k.

NMuzj100 said:

I've taken the same position. I changed the timing belt at 110k mi but not the water pump. I do change the anti-freeze every 45k mi (give or take 10k) and stick with the Toyota red stuff. If the water pump starts leaking, I will change the timing belt with the water pump. If the water pump is still OK at 210k when I change the timing belt, I will change the pump out anyway.

So I assume for the Toyotas the 100k service is when they reomcend the t-belt sevice?? At Lexus, we replace the t-belt at the 90k service(and all fluids). On the tensioners, i've learned that if cmpressed in the vise and it is realy easy to compreass, it;ll need to be replaced. If it takes a LOT of effort to compress. Thenit is good. Havent done many t-belts, but for the ones I have done, the water pumps were not leaking. The only down side if they do leak further on down the road, is everything has to come back out(hence the price difference..). I say, If there is no visible leak from the water pump, no need to replace...

mobi-arc said:
Many people have discovered leaky water pumps when they do the timing belt at 90k.

I would say that many have replaced but only several have had leaky water pumps. Most have had no problems wit them in fact. There was a very specific thread in which it began with the 'pimp replacing his as it was leaky then others went into panic/preventative mode and replaced them if they were even dirty looking while doing the t-belt.

You're fine big bert with either route you go with the water pump I just want to make sure that you don't make the decision believing that these things are going out left and right. (Now mine will go out tomorrow for saying that!)

As far as tensioners go, bh4rnnr that's some good insight.

bh4rnnr said:
So I assume for the Toyotas the 100k service is when they reomcend the t-belt sevice?? At Lexus, we replace the t-belt at the 90k service(and all fluids). On the tensioners, i've learned that if cmpressed in the vise and it is realy easy to compreass, it;ll need to be replaced. If it takes a LOT of effort to compress. Thenit is good. Havent done many t-belts, but for the ones I have done, the water pumps were not leaking. The only down side if they do leak further on down the road, is everything has to come back out(hence the price difference..). I say, If there is no visible leak from the water pump, no need to replace...

Just like Lexus, Toyota recommends the timing belt on the 2UZ-FE engine be changed at 90k. I bought my LC with 107k and changed the belt myself at 110k. The belt (original) still looked almost new. A few months back, someone posted a photo of a timing belt with 190k. It definitely looked overdue (cracks). I tried to compress my belt tensioner with a big vise but couldn't. Ended up using a 20 ton hydraulic press and held it by inserting a drill bit in the shaft hole. I was surprised how easy the drill bit slide back out after the new belt was in place.

my understadning was that Lexus requires the waterpump to be replaced when doing the t-belt. I know our LX470 had the belt(s) tensioners, waterpump, upper/lower hoses and some other bits done before we bought it.

Gee, I didn't mean to freak everyone out when I found my waterpump leaking, but the fact was, it was leaking and I am glad I replaced it. Me, I like to not worry about stuff. IMOP, the cooling system and brakes are 2 areas that are often not servied like they should be(most just fix em when they brake(.....and if kept in good shape......your Cruiser WILL last longer.....maybe I am just silly? but then again I have NEVER had a motor blow a head gasket.....nor have I ever had a motor relaced.........hmmmm, maybe beacuse I take care of some items other don't?

If you can't(or refuse to) spring for $200 to do the waterpump when doing the t-belt ........I personly think your driving the wrong rig. Flame on :D

As to waterpumps, the pumps on the 100 is alumium, the pumps on older cruisers are cast.....the cast ones seem to outlast the aluminum ones, this is also what my Toyota parts guy has seen, many of the alum pumps get replaced with less then 100k because of leaks. I have yet to see a cast pump leak at less then 100K.

Do what you wish......but when the pump pisses itself in the middle of no where......don't come crying :)

bh4rnnr said:

Landpimp said:
I have NEVER had a motor blow a head gasket.....nor have I ever had a motor relaced.........hmmmm, maybe beacuse I take care of some items other don't?

Maybe it's because you have eleven cruisers to spread the mileage out on :flipoff2:

(Don't mind my harmless cruiser envy ;p )

Seriously though as far as this goes:
If you can't(or refuse to) spring for $200 to do the waterpump when doing the t-belt ........I personly think your driving the wrong rig. Flame on

I think if Toyota didn't make that part capable of going 200k then I DID buy the wrong rig. Would I have done it had it been recommended? Yes.

Shinbone said:
To make a long story short, total cost for 90K mile service, timing belt and water pump = $1,374! I called a another Totota dealer a few cities away (Irvine, CA) and they quoated about the same price.

Those prices sound pretty high to me. I had my '99 at Toyota yesterday and the service guy quoted $339 for the TBelt and and another $279 for the waterpump.

I have never heard of a t-belt replacement quote that low. Get it done and do the water pump too.

uzj100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom