100 vs range rover (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
both stock, anyone have any write ups or comments?

They're not running two repair shifts at the Toyota dealer.

Not this thread again.

They are both dead even...until you break down in the middle of no-where, the whole family is with you and you have no cell phone service...its 15 below zero and the nearest sign of civilization is 75 miles away, its windy and you forgot to bring any supplies for an "overnighter"...

And then...You have to explain to the wife why YOU decided to get the Rover ..

Do I need to say more ?

Come on...Its obvious what the ULTIMATE difference is...how bout` we compare
Tires for just the 100...or bumpers...or suspensions instead. Its bad enough when we have to compare 80`s Vs 100`s !!!!

I considered a new Rover before buying a 100.... my decision to stay away from a Rover was based on poor reliability and an insufficient dealer network. If you only have only one dealer nearby you're basically at their mercy.

They have "suspension fault" problems throughout the product lines.

Peruse this Web site and see for yourself ...

http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/

I have a friend, "a doctor" who had to have a rover, he claims a .416 rigby double rifle just dosen't look right hanging in the gun rack of a landcrusier. He bought a restored fj40 to have something reliable to drive when the rover is in the shop.

I would love to own a new RR. That way I could sell it and buy a used LC and use the change to buy a rental home as income property :)

I consider myself a Landcruiser fan but admit that the 100 is not perfect. But list of problems the LR3 owners have had on practically new vehicles is amazing. On this forum we are just finally getting enough problems to label some "common to the 100" and that is seven years into the model run with a lot of trucks approaching 100k miles.

Last edited:
As a former mechanic at a "upscale dealer" (Infiniti, Volvo, jeeeez I hated Volvo's) we often had RR's, LR's come in from auction or traded in. Most trade in's were openly known that the owner just got it out of the shop, and had to trade it in before it broke again. And the people that bought them? You had to deal with them for months afterward because they expected EVERTHING to be perfect on their wangewover. What a pain in the... :censor:
All the units from auction had long lists of repairs that had to be done before they could be sold. Need proof? Call your local Land Rover dealer and ask how much for, say, 2003 Discovery 90K or large service, then call your Toyota dealer for the same on a LC. Remember the LC is the Flagship, and will be high also, but it will be done in a day.

"Why do the British like warm beer?"
"They have Lucas refrigerators!"

Last edited:
Campfire said:
"Why do the British like warm beer?"
"They have Lucas refrigerators!"

Now I've heard some pretty good British car jokes (Dad has a Sunbeam Alpine) but that one is one I won't soon forget. :D

I've had 2 Range Rovers and have 2 100's - different animals in SO many ways but like Shotts said, comparing what specifically??

A very excited coworker came into my office last week and dragged me to the parking garage to show me the used Disco he was buying for his son. An '04, the last of the old style, he bought it (traded a heep, of all things) because it was a "good deal".

Three days later his son is driving it and it gets a flat. Rather than change the flat he decides to drive slow to the tire shop for a fix. He is nervous driving on a nearly flat tire (rightfully so) and is gripping the wheel pretty hard. At a stoplight he somehow pulls back on the steering wheel and it comes completely off! So he jams it back on as best he can and pulls over to have his 1 1/2 year old, 12k miles vehicle towed to the dealer to discover (no pun intended) that a few crucial parts were missing. According to the dealer there was no evidence that it had been serviced in that area, it was just missing a nut from the factory.

In the end the flat might have saved life as he was driving slow and yanked the wheel then instead of on the freeway, in the snow, or maybe offroad in a sticky situation. I could share other stories as well, but this one sums it up for me. IMHO, all LR are :ban:

I trust my safety, as well as that of my wife and three kids to Toyota quality.

James

Benson said:
A very excited coworker came into my office last week and dragged me to the parking garage to show me the used Disco he was buying for his son. An '04, the last of the old style, he bought it (traded a heep, of all things) because it was a "good deal".

Three days later his son is driving it and it gets a flat. Rather than change the flat he decides to drive slow to the tire shop for a fix. He is nervous driving on a nearly flat tire (rightfully so) and is gripping the wheel pretty hard. At a stoplight he somehow pulls back on the steering wheel and it comes completely off! So he jams it back on as best he can and pulls over to have his 1 1/2 year old, 12k miles vehicle towed to the dealer to discover (no pun intended) that a few crucial parts were missing. According to the dealer there was no evidence that it had been serviced in that area, it was just missing a nut from the factory.

In the end the flat might have saved life as he was driving slow and yanked the wheel then instead of on the freeway, in the snow, or maybe offroad in a sticky situation. I could share other stories as well, but this one sums it up for me. IMHO, all LR are :ban:

I trust my safety, as well as that of my wife and three kids to Toyota quality.

James

WOW!

If your Land Rover isn't leaking, it's out of something. They look great but the service hassle isn't worth it. Had a RR 4.6HSE. Beatiful to look at, nicely done on the inside, but without question the biggest POS I have ever owned. Ditto the Discovery. Now very happy with a bullet proof LX470.

thynes said:
If your Land Rover isn't leaking, it's out of something. They look great but the service hassle isn't worth it. Had a RR 4.6HSE. Beatiful to look at, nicely done on the inside, but without question the biggest POS I have ever owned. Ditto the Discovery. Now very happy with a bullet proof LX470.

I have heard about how bad the leaks were. But I had (still have and am selling) and 96 Disco. It has 180mi (300KM) on it and nothing yet.
But just because it does not leak does not mean its reliable. Its still a rover.

I bought a 1985 BJ60 to replace it. My 60 got stolen (Why could they not still the disco :( ). Now I am buying a 81 series (diesel).

But if it was me I would get the Toyota.

I too contemplated both trucks before I bought my 100. It was the year the new Range came out.
I admit , as books go , its got a pretty cover. But get once I dug a little deeper I heard all the troublesome repair stories, etc.
That made the choice to go with Toyota that much easier.
Consumer Reports loves the 100, if that means anything to you.
Its my first Toyota, and I'm hooked on them.

The Associated Press

Ford said Tuesday that its luxury Jaguar and Land Rover brands will no longer advertise in gay publications, but the nation's second-largest automaker denied that it made the decision under pressure from conservative Christian groups.

I also heard they discontinued handing out free rainbow stickers on the corner of Hollywood and Vine...

How many 20yr RR do you see on the road vs LC. Toyotas aren't perfect but they are good enough that people are willign to keep them up ... wereas on the RR they just giver up, or run out of money.

A friend bought a 99 Range Rover the same week I bought my 99 LC. This was six months ago. Well mine broke down three times since and his is still going strong. Go figure! Am I the unluckiest guy in the world or what? Or maybe he's just the luckiest. That said, I'd still never buy a Land Rover out of warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom