100 vs range rover (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rule303 said:
I don't think anyone would argue Rovers suck on this forum.

Except me :grinpimp: but I haven't posted before so I forgive you ;)

I have a 98 landcruiser 100 diesel with active skyhook suspension and most factory options apart from rear climate control and also have a diesel 2004 Range Rover. The LC has done near 100k miles while the Range Rover has now done over 20k miles. No problem with either really but if I must nit-pick then the LC had a new fog light and drivers seat belt in the first year while the RR has had absolutely no faults so far. The LC had a viscous heater drive belt fail and a rear wheel bearing failure at about 70 to 80k miles but nothing major.

The ride and handling is superior in the RR and also the seat heating and other bits. The BMW engine is too noisy compared to the LC and the seats are not as comfortable but my chipped engine is just as powerful and far more economical on fuel and servicing.
The steering feel on the LC on washboard roads provides far to much feedback to the hands which is not a problem with the RR.

Although I drive the LC for work, I really like the contrast of driving the RR otherwise. If I was really forced to choose between them today, and even with the latest five speed automatic and touch screen dash controls of the LC, I would have to go for the more modern Range Rover. However, there is really not much in it. The RR is only a five seater, so that could influence me. And the price? In the UK there is only one LC 100 offered with a choice of petrol or diesel. It is a fully featured automatic with leather and touch screen with active suspension, the VX [I think the GS has been discontinued due to lack of demand] while there is an almost infinite choice of RR but all with leather, heated windscreen, air suspension, climate and so on and so forth. The entry level RR is about the same price as the LC.

The only really consistent fault with the RR, which has a full BMW drivetrain and main electrics, but modified mainly in the suspension area, is a tendancy for front diff pinion shaft failure. But then it is well known that LC100 has a weak front crown wheel. :doh:

hedydd.

That's great, now post up when the RR get's near 100k miles. Sheesh, If I wanted to see a new vehicle compared to an old vehicle I'd take MY old 100 to a new RR dealer lot!

I've got an '04 Tacoma with only 30,000 miles and a 100 with 126,000 miles, both with no real problems either but I have no basis for comparing the reliability of the two vehicles. One has been around the block quite a few times while the other is just getting broken in.

tabraha said:
That's great, now post up when the RR get's near 100k miles. Sheesh, If I wanted to see a new vehicle compared to an old vehicle I'd take MY old 100 to a new RR dealer lot!

I've got an '04 Tacoma with only 30,000 miles and a 100 with 126,000 miles, both with no real problems either but I have no basis for comparing the reliability of the two vehicles. One has been around the block quite a few times while the other is just getting broken in.

One [of mine] has only five times the duty of the other. I also have five other 4x4's up to a LR110 with well over 10,000 hours under its belt. Also had a LC 80 and my friend has a 90LC D4D and have personally owned a Discovery and a classic RR diesel with well over 100k miles each with no major failures. Saw a Discovery the other day just coming up to 300,000 miles although its condition has now relegated it to private land use only.
Now you may be correct in believing [or not] that the LC will prove the most reliable over time but my experience is with owning Mitsubishi, Toyota, Isuzu, Nissan and LR machines, that recent LR machines are as good as any. Most early Mk4 series RR faults are shared with BMW X5 vehicles of the same age and pale into insignificance compared with the build quality and failures on Mercedes ML vehicles [which I also owned examples of until recently....yes both ML and X5 :flipoff2:

And your experience of modern LR vehicles is good or bad?

hedydd

tabraha said:

I agree.

A: Welcome.

B: You mentioned every other vehicle out there, why not the G Wagen?
:flipoff2:

hedydd, Nice review from somebody who has both (albeit in diesel). The newer LC's have the variable steering gear which you might like better than the steering in your '98 LC. Your '04 RR is still new. If they prove to go 100K or more w/o major problems, I'll consider buying one.

hedydd said:
And your experience of modern LR vehicles is good or bad?

hedydd

I didn't fan the coals to start a fire, but ...

A friend (I guess a former friend now) bought an LR3 a year ago ... it was in the shop within 3 months of ownership for several defects, the most serious in my quote below. I haven't heard from him for 8 months, so I don't have a progress report. I think he may have 'crossed-over' since his wife left him.

Any relation to Tom Jones ? :flipoff2:

They have "suspension fault" problems throughout the product lines.

Peruse this Web site and see for yourself ...

http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/

macneill said:
I agree.

A: Welcome.

Who, me? If so, thanks.

B: You mentioned every other vehicle out there, why not the G Wagen?
:flipoff2:

:rolleyes:
Because I have never had one, though there is one a mile up the road and I very nearly bought a 300GD five cylinder back in '84 when I had my second and remaining LR110. At the time I ran a couple of 110's, a station wagon and the Hi-Capacity pick-up I still run daily.
I have not had the very latest model Mitsu Pajero/shogun either. Nor a Daihatsu thank goodness. Also made a concious decision to miss out on the MkII Range Rover which I felt was never properly designed, although there are many about. I felt the V8 engine to be unreliable [which it always has been] and the old 2.5 BMW engine to be underpowered and underwhelming while the air suspension of the time was tempremental, hence my two Land Cruisers. At the time I didn't like the shape of the MkII either although it has grown on me recently.

Although I do believe the LC to be an incredibly well built vehicle, I am not blinkered enough to worship it as a God. I run various vehicles as you will already be aware but some others I have owned have been Audi Quattro, Jaguar XK8 and my latest addition to the fleet, a Fiat Panda 1.3 turbo diesel Multijet :bounce: delivered on the 23rd Dec05. This little engine [European engine of the year 05] is a revelation in that it is so refined, powerful and economical. Diesel engines have just advanced so much since the introduction of the 1-HD FTE that it may be hard for some to comprehend, good though that engine is after the problems with bearing shells in some cases.

The only recent car that has left me stranded [twice] was the BMW due to an electrical glitch [shared with RR's at the time] where certain radio frequences would wake the computer up and drain the battery, especially at railway stations and similar places. Also the central locking was erratic. It was beautifully built however, as is the RR and LC, and all are in a different league from the ML270 which was thown together from cheap and ill fitting plastic rubbish.
The offroad ability of all of them vary and are bought with this in mind. The most versatile being the RR and LC because they can handle the roughest of terrain one minute and then bomb down the highway at near 100mph in comfortable silence the next. The BMW X5 is a sporty on-road drive but the Sport suspension fitted to mine made it a highway only machine in effect.

I am trying to persuade a [lady] friend to upgrade from a Honda HRV to a Toyota Rav4, the new and soon to be launched in the UK version. Is this launched anywhere yet? How does it compare, in D4D form to the latest Freelander TD4?

Hedydd

hoser said:
hedydd, Nice review from somebody who has both (albeit in diesel). The newer LC's have the variable steering gear which you might like better than the steering in your '98 LC. Your '04 RR is still new. If they prove to go 100K or more w/o major problems, I'll consider buying one.

The diesel, and I would not consider the petrol version, still isn't fitted with the variable steering although my Range Rover is. In fact the little Fiat Panda even has an user selectable variable force [though not ratio AFAIK] steering system.
Also the diesel must make do with centre and rear diff locks rather than traction control.
I don't think there are any major problems on the MkIII except for the front pinion shaft as yet. Yes, early ones had a few teathing problems but most apart from the windscreen vibration were shared with the BMW X5. Same goes for the Discovery or LRIII, where the transmission shunt is caused by the 6 speed ZF which is shared by several other manufacturers including BMW and Jaguar. There have been a few other fairly minor issues but these are very few and far between, mainly electrical or software related. Most people have had few if any issues.

Hedydd

a990dna said:
I didn't fan the coals to start a fire, but ...

A friend (I guess a former friend now) bought an LR3 a year ago ... it was in the shop within 3 months of ownership for several defects, the most serious in my quote below. I haven't heard from him for 8 months, so I don't have a progress report. I think he may have 'crossed-over' since his wife left him.

Any relation to Tom Jones ? :flipoff2:

You mean Sir Tom? No, but my wife had her bra signed by him once when we shared a lift at the Cardiff Marriot:princess: .

As for the LRIII then it has very few problems and most were in very early production. Some details are given by me in another reply.
FWIW I don't really like the style of LRIII inside or out. The RR Sport though is nice outside but very LRIII inside and very overpriced in some markets.
I don't know why some people are so protective of their own cars and need to put down the opposition;p . Another sector will expect perfection from their vehicles and will protest vocally at the slightest problems:mad: . This is not confined to LR or Toyota but is common to any public forum.
Me? I just say it as it is and go with the flow.:cool:

Hedydd

hedydd said:
You mean Sir Tom? No, but my wife had her bra signed by him once when we shared a lift at the Cardiff Marriot:princess: .

As for the LRIII then it has very few problems and most were in very early production. Some details are given by me in another reply.
FWIW I don't really like the style of LRIII inside or out. The RR Sport though is nice outside but very LRIII inside and very overpriced in some markets.
I don't know why some people are so protective of their own cars and need to put down the opposition;p . Another sector will expect perfection from their vehicles and will protest vocally at the slightest problems:mad: . This is not confined to LR or Toyota but is common to any public forum.
Me? I just say it as it is and go with the flow.:cool:

Hedydd

I didn't know he was a Sir. LOL...

Yea, I agree. But I'm only loyal to a point. The manufacturers' need to have the right vehicle, at the right time and for the right price. I really struggled buying a new vehicle after 14 years... things have sure changed. Live axles are few and far between unless you buy a pickup truck... which I did, I'm just not a truck person so I got rid of it.

I made some poor decisions along the way, but found the LC was the best choice for now... plus, I've always wanted one and they were selling them at a discount. The situation may have been different if they wouldn't have budged off MSRP.

I was actually seriously looking at ordering a new 2006 Chevy Trailblazer SS with a LS6 Vette motor, but I think I'm finally growing-up and getting away from race inspired vehicles. They're only fun for awhile...

Edit: my grammar sucks :D

Last edited:
a990dna said:
I didn't know he was a Sir. LOL...

Yea, I agree. But I'm only loyal to a point. The manufacturers' need to have the right vehicle, at the right time and for the right price. I really struggled buying a new vehicle after 14 years... things have sure changed. Live axles are few and far between unless you buy a pickup truck... which I did, I'm just not a truck person so I got rid of it.

I made some poor decisions along the way, but found the LC was the best choice for now... plus, I've always wanted one and they were selling them at a discount. The situation may have been different if they wouldn't have budged off MSRP.

I was actually seriously looking at ordering a new 2006 Chevy Trailblazer SS with a LS6 Vette motor, but I think I'm finally growing-up and getting away from race inspired vehicles. They're only fun for awhile...

Edit: my grammar sucks :D

Do keep up :rolleyes: . He was named on the first of the month.:cheers:

I've tried a few and they all have their faults and most Toyota vehicles take some beating for reliability but apart from the 100 and a few other models, God are they average in overall driver excitment and pleasure. If pure reliability floats your boat you have picked a winner, no question. The others have been catching up in this area quickly over the last few years though and it is difficult for those at the top in any area to stay there. There are a lot of hungry competitors out there.

Hedydd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom