100 vs range rover (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Funny.... everyone is against you, Rule, because almost everyone's experiences are the polar opposite of yours. You are 1 out of a 100, no pun intended.

I haven't followed your Cruiser ownership at all, but from what I gathered in this thread.... you're vehicle was in a flood? Dude, there's a reason most flood vehicles are TOTALLED afterwards.

Basically, you wanted to floss in your hood, overbought a vehicle you normally couldn't afford for some status, took a chance on a used one that probably shouldn't have been on the market, but was presumably priced less than a comparable non-flood unit, and got hosed because of it.

Did you buy a prime, or even a NORMAL example of a Land Cruiser? NO. You bought a flood reject.

And now, failing to realize you gambled on a less expensive vehicle and lost, you come back here after you've sold your Cruiser and moved onto something else, just to spout off because you didn't like your particular experience.

Did you not know the odds before you put your money on the table?

Hoser said:
Rule303, having so many problems, you are definitely the minority among the 100 owners. But if you keep posting in EVERY thread how crappy your 100 was, then a newbie reader would think many 100's are crap when they are not.

You know, I'd like to agree with that.... but, most people will probably read rule's comments and be able to take them for what they are worth.

In other words, he's right. We can't silence him. But I don't think we really need to.

"Basically, you wanted to floss in your hood, overbought a vehicle you normally couldn't afford for some status, took a chance on a used one that probably shouldn't have been on the market, but was presumably priced less than a comparable non-flood unit, and got hosed because of it."

Ryan, that's not fair. The motivation for purchasing used is irrelevant. You do your homework and read good things about about TLC reliability so you figure even if the vehicle is used, everything will be fine. Let's get real. It's a truck. It's got parts that are going to break just like every other truck out there. Yes it's well engineered. Yes it's got a good track record. And yes, you'll find people who have been unlucky and think it's the biggest ball of sh*t on the planet. You can never make everybody happy and it's impossible to manufacture a perfect product that'll last forever. Clearly, rule has had a bad experience and I don't find it unreasonable for him to post his soured experience on the board. He's just bitter and rightfully so. I say air your gripe, just don't make me read it over and over and over again.

I knew all of the potential "commom problems that some 100 series have before I bought mine and figured them into the purchase. cracked manifold, starter taking a dump, TPS, cost of the timing belt and water pump. I also fiqured in all new belts and hoses, since mine was a 7 year old LC. I put back $3K to handle these items (not the maintance items) and if they happen I will be disappointed and I doubt I will have all of them but I was an informed buyer. Since I did my homework and became a member of IH8MUD. I had a 95 LC and everyone was having to redo their briefields and I was informed that they should be done every 60K or you would have a big problem and leaks. I traded my 95 with 135K miles on it and the birfields were still fine and I never had a problem with them and never did any maintance on them. Like others have stated 1 in 100 problem.

I've never purchased a new vehicle where I didn't experience some initial problems.... and I've only been lucky once after buying a used vehicle that I didn't find something seriously wrong after the purchase… or not knowing I had to put some money into it for some reason or another.

Unfortunately high-ticket items (new or used) these days are subject to increased scrutiny because they're more technologically advanced. I remember the days when you were lucky to get 20K-30K miles out of a starter period...

Hell, I remember spending half my childhood holding the flashlight for my dad just to keep the family cars running... not to mention the other half putting the tools away.

The only real bitch I have so far is my LC is turning into a rattle trap...

Last edited:
rule303 said:
They are machines and machines break, even if little people in Japan make them.

Sounds like the cowbell has turned into a dumbbell.

Where did you buy the Eddie Bauer Expedition? At a fire sale?

Maybe you outta be making friends on that forum.

mobi-arc said:
Ryan, that's not fair. The motivation for purchasing used is irrelevant. You do your homework and read good things about about TLC reliability so you figure even if the vehicle is used, everything will be fine. Let's get real. It's a truck. It's got parts that are going to break just like every other truck out there. Yes it's well engineered. Yes it's got a good track record. And yes, you'll find people who have been unlucky and think it's the biggest ball of sh*t on the planet.

Well, I kind of disagree. The point of my comment was that he most likely bought the vehicle for far less than normal market value because of it's history. He bought a newer year or a higher model than he normally could have afforded because of the price discount on the flood unit, rather than taking the 'safe' bet and buying a unit he could afford in normal to prime condition.

It's no crack on his monetary worth or income or whatever, it's just the facts of the deal. He could be Bill Gates, for all I know, but he took a gamble on a big risk unit and lost.

And why is it (or should it have been) priced for less than market value? Because, as a flood car, it's probably going to have a littany of problems. That's the risk, and it didn't pay off for him.

Now, this is all assuming its history was known to him and the price was adjusted accordingly before he bought it. If it wasn't, he got screwed.

But it's obvious he knows its history NOW, and to go on and on about how bad his experience was is getting pretty stale.

o2 sensor replaced yesterday on my 2002. just adds to the long list of items that have crapped out on this less-than-stellar luxo vehicle. i gave it a six on the poll a ways back.. i'm revising downward to a 5.

ace10 said:
o2 sensor replaced yesterday on my 2002. just adds to the long list of items that have crapped out on this less-than-stellar luxo vehicle. i gave it a six on the poll a ways back.. i'm revising downward to a 5.

How many miles on your 2002? Because if you are around 100K or so, o2 sensors are just another maintenance cost for vehicle ownership, like engine oil and tires.

50k miles on the clock.

ace10 said:
50k miles on the clock.

Yeah, that is pretty low. I've got 130K on my 80 and it's still on the OEM o2 sensors, AFAIK. Thinking about swapping them out just as prev maintenance.

ShottsUZJ100 said:
The O2 sensor was replaced for free, huh?
Nope. I had a CEL that was thrown shortly after i replaced the PCV valve. It went to the dealer for three warranty items and they we unable to quickly locate the source of the code. they wanted to keep it, I said no way. i was concerned that it was the PCV, so I took it my mechanic for that and rear brakes. it turned out to be one of the o2's and I had him do it as it was already there. i'm sure that lexus would have covered it, but it's just way too time consuming to bring it there. it took them 2 tries to get the DS 2nd row seat lfloor latch working properly, so my patience had worn thin.

ace10 said:
i'm sure that lexus would have covered it, but it's just way too time consuming to bring it there. it took them 2 tries to get the DS 2nd row seat lfloor latch working properly, so my patience had worn thin.

Yep, they would cover it. Too bad all the little issues. It does suckaroo.

My '01 has been beat to death, has 100K miles and no warrnanty repairs whatsoever (except the front diff which I blew and I knew I was blowing it. Wow, that sounds bad :D ) I think I'm more the "norm". (my truck...not me. :D )

ace10 said:
Nope. I had a CEL that was thrown shortly after i replaced the PCV valve. It went to the dealer for three warranty items and they we unable to quickly locate the source of the code. they wanted to keep it, I said no way. i was concerned that it was the PCV, so I took it my mechanic for that and rear brakes. it turned out to be one of the o2's and I had him do it as it was already there..
Call Lexus, chances are they'll reimburse you on the O2 Sensor job.

Wow, I've got every one stirred up on this one. Like I've said before, it wasn't flood damaged and it came from a reputable used car dealer. The dealership owner actually had been driving it for about a year. I have the carfax to prove it. He wouldn't risk his license just to sell one vehicle.
Flood damage wouldn't account for any of the problems I had anyway. You guys with the blinders on need to read more carefully. Most of my problems are VERY common problems with these vehicles. To assume if a Toyota fails it must be the owners fault is absurd. I just got a bad one thats all. The dealer I bought it from probably knew he had a bad one as well and got rid of it. Just like I did.
I paid top dollar for it and it looked and drove like new. Please someone, show me how "preventative maintenance" can prevent starter failure, TPS failure, alternator failure, cracked manifolds, etc. Must be some trick I don't know.
Its like the people who buy Bose speakers. They pay way too much for mediocre sound systems because the want to blindly rely on name brand recognition instead of actually learning about the REAL positives and negatives.
I've owned a lot of vehicles, foreign and domestic, and I've learned they all have advantages and disadvantages. And I don't base my buying decision on marketing or what mommy and daddy always bought. Or a lemon vehicle I bought 20 years ago.
I said the LC was a very nice vehicle. Just not perfect. So some of you need to get your panties out of a wad and get over it. The LC is not made by God. Don't get offended. I'd expect that on a Ford forum. The redneck kneejerk response to any criticism. The only reason I still post on this forum is so the blinder wearing crowd can't shout down the truth. Potential buyers have a right to know. I've owned probably 30 vehicles in my life and NEVER had a lemon. Never even had what I would call a problem vehicle. My luck ran out and it just happened to be the vaunted Land Cruiser. Bad odds, yes. But people win the lottery every day with odds a lot worse.
postchart.jpg

So your vehicle wasn't a flood vehicle at all?

Huh. Well, that contradicts what someone said earlier, but oh well.

Starter contacts are pretty much a preventative maintenance item on 80 series Landcruisers at around 80K miles, they probably should be on 100 series too.

As for your other problems, I have no idea.

But, you're whole "blinders" argument has no weight in that everyone posting about how great and reliable Land Cruisers are have pretty much posted out of their own experiences.

You've got the thread asking people to rank the reliability of their vehicles from 1 to 10. And just because a vast majority of people selected 8,9, and 10, they are blinded? Come on man.

The fact is, with Toyota's top-of-the-line vehicle, you have one of the highest quality, most reliable automobiles on the road. This is backed up by all kinds of consumer surveys, from JD Power to Consumer Reports. And it's backed up by 95% of the people on this board, who probably use their vehicles harder than any other Land Cruiser owners.

Sure, you are still going to have lemons. But 1 out of 100 Land Cruisers might be a "lemon", which is far less than almost any other vehicle. And you're particular vehicle may not have been a lemon. I mean, you did buy it used, which means all manner of crazy PO @&@&@&@& could have gone down.

But we've all got blinders on, and you are going to come and post in this self-described "worthless" thread over and over again about how bad you got screwed.

Glad you finally figured out how to post a picture, though. It was sooooo worth the wait. :rolleyes:

People like you crack me up. You come here with the express purpose of irritating everyone with your mindless banter, saying "the blinder wearing croud can't shout down the truth" and blah blah blah, then actually acted all miffed that these people actually ARE getting irritated.

rule303 said:
Its like the people who buy Bose speakers. They pay way too much for mediocre sound systems because the want to blindly rely on name brand recognition instead of actually learning about the REAL positives and negatives.

Well said. Bose = cheap, paper-coned drivers, that are easilty beat by the competition for the same or less investment.....though Bose is probably the worlds best marketing company in the audio field.

ShottsUZJ100 said:
Well said. Bose = cheap, paper-coned drivers, that are easilty beat by the competition for the same or less investment.....though Bose is probably the worlds best marketing company in the audio field.

Oh....Bose systems in cars....that's another story. Excellent product most of the time.

ShottsUZJ100 said:

Yup. I know you deal the REAL good stuff and can appreciate this: My friends thought I was crazy when I started hanging up my little B&W speakers instead of the Bose Accustimass stuff they all love. They no longer think I am nutso. They do however keep referring to my speakers as "BMW's" for some reason. :flipoff2:

tabraha said:
Yup. I know you deal the REAL good stuff and can appreciate this: My friends thought I was crazy when I started hanging up my little B&W speakers instead of the Bose Accustimass stuff they all love. They no longer think I am nutso. They do however keep referring to my speakers as "BMW's" for some reason. :flipoff2:

B&W = YouDaMan!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom