100 series / lx470 alternator replacement quick tips no pictures (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
overlooking the Mississippi River @ Memphis
Just did this on my 98 LC so it is fresh in my mind took exactly 3hrs and I'm slow, If anyone has basic tips to add please do... I've done this before but not often enough to "do it without thinking" I should add it helps to have a milk crate to stand on...

1. remove plastic engine cover (10mm socket)
1a. remove wires from your battery 10mm
2. remove airbox complete from throttle body to filter cover you can do this in one piece(10mm socket)
2a. remove serpentine belt 14mm wrench on tension pulley
3. remove front skid pan (Deep 12mm socket)
4. remove right/pass side radiator hose (catch coolant in large clean bucket for reuse) 5/16 socket
5. remove 2 bolts and 1 nut that hold power steering pump (14mm deep socket)
5a. with a cord or coat hanger pull and tie the pump up and forward
you will need to lift the PS reservoir out of its cradle
6. from above you can remove the main wire to the alt 10mm
7. from below you can now remove the 14mm nut and 14mm bolt that hold the alt. on
8. slide alt forward off mounting stud and turn alt. so you have access to the rear connector
9. it helps at this point to have some extra light and needle nose pliers
you will need to squeeze the connector to release it I had to use the pliers for this... I then had to lightly pry around the connector with a small pick tool kinda like a dental pick to help pull the connector free...
10. if twisted and pulled just right you can now remove the alt. from below
11. Push and twist new alt up past rad. shroud and ps hoses the rest is
the reverse of this except you can go ahead and install the main power wire to the alt from below but wait to tighten it from above after install, do install the main plug on back of alt before fitting alt on mounting stud...

NOTES: my new (rebuilt denso) had a larger main power stud than stock so i had to drill out the lug on the wire harness to fit and it required a 13mm wrench vs the stk 10mm, MY rebuilt did not have the extra dust shield on the back so I used my old one and I used the small metal tab on the side that the wires clip to from my old unit... neither of these are required but toyota put them there so I put them back... I also had a small length of pipe to slide over my ratchet while breaking the PS and alt bolts loose

Last edited:
I just did this on my '98 a few weeks ago. I was able to do it without removing the airbox or the radiator hose. However, I think next time I may remove those because it took a lot of finessing and bending of the hose to get it done. Thanks for the step-by-step.

I just had to do this replacement today. My alternator went out last night coming home from work. The signs were typical:
IMG_1313.JPG
IMG_1312.JPG

I then hooked up the OBD scanner which read the following:

IMG_1317.JPG

IMG_1314.JPG

Called my local dealer, $426 for a new alternator. Looked online and found one for $300 with a core charge. Went to AdvanceAuto.com and bought a CarQuest remanufactured unit for $162 picked up in store. I used the TRT30 coupon for 30% off retail.

After I pulled the alternator I took it to my local battery and charging shop for a full rebuild. I needed a quick alternator, but don´t really trust the CarQuest one. I´m having the old one gutted and rebuilt for about $65. I rather keep that on the shelf than return the original Denso for a core refund.

On to some pictures to back up Ponytl´s thread:

IMG_1318.JPG

Disconnect battery...

IMG_1319.JPG

Disconnect MAF...

IMG_1320.JPG

Disconnect airbox using 10mm socket...

IMG_1321.JPG

IMG_1322.JPG

On to the vacuum lines:

IMG_1326.JPG

IMG_1325.JPG

IMG_1324.JPG

IMG_1323.JPG

Pull the skid plate so you can access the PS radiator hose:

IMG_1329.JPG

12mm socket...

IMG_1342.JPG

Remove upper and lower clamp, have a clean bucket ready...

IMG_1344.JPG

Rotate your coolant hose back up to catch spills once the majority drains out...

Remove the serpentine belt and power steering pump:

IMG_1327.JPG

14mm reverse thread to remove tensioner...

IMG_1328.JPG

Lift the serpentine out and check for cracks...

IMG_1332.JPG

Thereś three 14mm bolts on the pump...

IMG_1336.JPG

A 14mm nut, 14mm bolt, and 12mm bolt hold the alternator on:

IMG_1333.JPG

IMG_1334.JPG

IMG_1335.JPG

Lift the PS pump out of the way. The alternator now slides off the lugs.

IMG_1338.JPG

Remove the charging cable cover...

IMG_1339.JPG

Remove the 10mm nut...

IMG_1340.JPG

Disconnect the wiring harness...

IMG_1341.JPG

Last, remove the clip from the harness bracket. This step is a bit tedious, even with my small, girlish hands.

You will likely also have to remove the coolant reservoir, held in place with two 12mm bolts. This enables you to lift the entire assembly out. Re-installation is of course the reverse.
Total time to remove all components was approximately an hour. Time to clean, compound bolts, re-install, and refill coolant was another 45 minutes. I was working slowly and carefully as well. This is truly a one :banana: job.

IMG_1345.JPG

great pics and added detail I removed and replaced mine from below... it will stay there hung on the radiator shroud while you disconnect the wires... TRT41 will usually get you 40% off at advanceauto sign up for the speed perks and for every $100 spent you get $20 credit toward next purchase which you can use on oil which you can't use coupon codes on... just say'n they know me so well i get to pull my own parts...

ponytl and elk,

Thanks for the great write-up. It was a HUGE help as I had to replace my radiator tonight. It would have been much more difficult otherwise.

Nice write up and follow up photos.

For clarification, are you removing just one or both harnesses/clips that are on either side of the bolt?

Is everyone removing the harness(es) from the metal bracket (in last photo), then transferring the bracket to the new alternator and pushing the harness clip back in the bracket during reinstall?

Both harness clips? What exactly are you referring to?

As for the metal bracket on the alternator, I ditched mine.

Nice write up and follow up photos.

For clarification, are you removing just one or both harnesses/clips that are on either side of the bolt?

Is everyone removing the harness(es) from the metal bracket (in last photo), then transferring the bracket to the new alternator and pushing the harness clip back in the bracket during reinstall?

I like pics.

Both harness clips? What exactly are you referring to?

As for the metal bracket on the alternator, I ditched mine.

I just realized it's the second to last photo, but it shows the bracket I assume you're referring to. There are two cable looms connected to that bracket. One can be seen in the photo, with the emphasis on the clip mentioned. I wasn't sure if just one or both needed to be removed and if you unclipped them or unbolted that bracket while the alternator was still under the car. I'm sure I'll see it in the morning when I get to it.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. This was very beneficial to read before replacing my alternator in a hotel parking lot during a torrental rain storm.

I didnt need to remove the radiator hoses as this wasnt an option for my emergency repair. I was able to lift the alternator up past the radiator hose.

By the way, the Napa replacement has all the original specs of the Denso i.e. 10mm nut and stud so no need to modify the wire lug as some had mentioned.

You will likely also have to remove the coolant reservoir, held in place with two 12mm bolts. This enables you to lift the entire assembly out. Re-installation is of course the reverse.
Total time to remove all components was approximately an hour. Time to clean, compound bolts, re-install, and refill coolant was another 45 minutes. I was working slowly and carefully as well. This is truly a one :banana: job.

View attachment 1352638

Last Friday my alternator went out on me in a rain storm near a Toyota dealership in OKC. I took it to the dealership due to the weather conditions (against my better judgment). They wanted $375 for the alternator (that they couldn't order until the next Monday), $201 for the belt, $520 for labor, $130 diagnostic check, $12 battery post cleaning, $49 misc shop supplies fee. Basically, they wanted $1260 for the whole thing!

So, I just wanted to say "Thanks for the great pics and the write up!" to all the people that contributed to this...

I just replaced the alternator on my 2007 Land Cruiser with a friend. Found a re-manufactured Denso on Amazon for $150 and a Gates serpentine belt for $26. Took about three hours, but we were really slow with some distractions. Ended up taking out the radiator too that ate up a good hour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom