100 Series Land Cruiser Noise on Starting Engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A few weeks ago my LC started making a noise on starting up the engine. At first I thought it might be a belt or tensioner, but after taking it into the dealer where they couldn't replicate the issue, the noise has become much more pronounced. This video was taken a couple days ago and you can barely hear it right before the engine turns over, but now the sound is longer and harsher. any idea what it might be?

Hard to tell through a video but my starter made a similar sound when the bendix was going out.

07999FE0-7BE0-4C61-B5E6-53959D0AF42F.jpeg

I couldn’t hear the noise before the start, but did hear something right after the start. Was your A/C -defrost set on auto in the truck- sounded like the click of the compressor coming on. Or could be the sound of the starter bendix slow disengagement.

Also sounds like your starter is dragging just a little- how often do you float charge your battery? Try trickle charging battery overnight and see if your pre start noise returns.

I couldn’t hear the noise before the start, but did hear something right after the start. Was your A/C -defrost set on auto in the truck- sounded like the click of the compressor coming on. Or could be the sound of the starter bendix slow disengagement.

Also sounds like your starter is dragging just a little- how often do you float charge your battery? Try trickle charging battery overnight and see if your pre start noise returns.

Ya, the sound is just before the engine turns over and is kind of hard to hear. I'll try a float charge, good suggestion, although she gets used regularly.

Sounds like the starter is sticking.

Ran a float charge most of the day today. Went to start it and nothing. Wouldn't turn over at all. Tried a second time and no problem the next two or three times.

Sounds like the starter is sticking.

So read up on starter sticking. If I understand correctly, one cause of this is the relay is stuck and the other is the brushes are stuck. Which do you mean?

So read up on starter sticking. If I understand correctly, one cause of this is the relay is stuck and the other is the brushes are stuck. Which do you mean?
I was referring to the contacts inside the solenoid sticking, which causes the drive pinion to stay engaged longer than it should.

I was referring to the contacts inside the solenoid sticking, which causes the drive pinion to stay engaged longer than it should.
Got it - that's what it sounds like to me too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom