100 series interior: gray vs. brown? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been looking at a 100 series a potential daily driver after giving up on the 80 series (long story). Looking at 98-00 at this time, and was curious because I've looked at a couple of dozen trucks and *all* of them had brown interior. I would prefer a grey interior (dream combinations, in this order, are white/grey, silver/grey or green/grey), but they seem to be few and far between on the earlier models, and even on the newer models brown (or khaki, really) seems to be more prevalent. Has anyone else encountered this? Is this a known quirk? I apologize if this topic has come up, I read most of the FAQ and didn't see any references to this. I'm a moron when it comes to newer Cruisers, never really considered one until very recently.

our 03 is white over grey.

I ran into the same thing. I prefer the gray interior, but didn't come across many. I finally had to bend, because I found a Black/Tan, and Black is my preferred outer color.

Tan seemed to be the preferred leather color, not only in this, but I was also looking at the Sequoia Limited (my wife's choice), and most of them were tan as well.

Good luck

I was looking for a grey interior...
But, after testing a "grey" and many "brown" I found the brown pretty nice.
I feel the grey interior more beautiful, on picture, but in the true life, grey interior appears (a little bit) cheaper (personal judgement , of course)

Beige leather does seem to age better than grey IMO, not sure why, though.

-Mark

I ran into the same problem when I was looking for my wife's 100 Series. Grey with grey interior was my first choice, then sliver with grey then white with grey. I could find very few 100 Series with grey interior regardless of the exterior colors. Ultimately I went with the best condition 100 Series with the lowest miles regardless of the color. It ended up being a 2001 silver exterior with tan interior. Surprisingly the tan interior color has grown on me, and yes as someone mentioned early the grey leather interior does look cheap compared to the tan, go figure.

keep looking, the grey's are out there, there just aren't as many methinks. I waited until I found what I really wanted, and then bought it.

Thanks, folks, ultimately, like for most of you, this is going to boil down to the best vehicle I can afford, regardless of the interior color, I was just curious.

I missed the 80 series "window" by about three years, but it's not going to happen again. Hopefully the rising price of gas will put more of them out on the market in the coming weeks.

The white and silver are available with gray interior, but green only had the tan interior. My wife hates the gray interior, especially after having the tan interior. The interior has a high quality leather, so the gray interior tends to look cheaper to us; whereas the tan tends to accentuate the high quality of the leather. However, the gray in the 100 looks better than the gray interiors in other Toyotas - not as drab and gloomy.

Subjective thread. To me it boils down to what looks better when color matching paint vs. interior. The leather in the 100 is not bad quality, but not great quality either

not sure if it is relavent but there are actual tests of the tempatures of the outside and inside of the cars on here based from the color. I went with tan and i do believe it was affected less tempature wise. Best of Luck

When I was looking for an '01 or '02 I too was looking for a silver with grey. I looked at a river rock grey that had the grey interior and I quickly decided that I did not want the grey leather! It looked cheap compared to the tan I thought. I finally found a Champagne pearl with the ivory/stone(whatever they call it) interior and I am glad I went that direction... MY $.02 !!
:cheers:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2001 UZJ100-- Champagne Pearl--- 63K

1989 FJ62-- Freeborn Red---131K

1991 Range Rover Classic-- Ardennes Green---63K>>>Possibly for sale :idea:

2003 Mercedes CL55 AMG-- Bright Silver Metallic---17.7K

Last edited:
I got grey. Mine looks great on 3rd row seats, up in attic. 2nd row covered in
unidentifiable goo made up of old milk, melted ice cream cones, popsicles, various dried fruit products, assorted mom approved cereals, fig newtons, and vomit containing much of the forementioned products. Front seats, back of them is much like 2nd row. Front of them is worn badly, no holes yet, where one enters and exits the truck. If only I could remove the leather from the jump seats and put it on the fronts. Maybe Santa will have my seats recovered for me next year in two tone grey to match the door interior.

I was actually hoping to find a white/tan model, but the grey/grey landed in front of me at the right price, so that's what I've got. It's really grown on me. The leather has held up really well, and the driver's seat doesn't even have any visible wear at 94K.

The tan would be better in the cargo area. The grey carpet is covered with debris from mulch and firewood that's fallen off the tarp.

I think the grey is worth it because it doesn't show as much dirt. Like some others have posted, I also think the tan looks richer, but my other car had tan and it got stained and dirty a lot quicker. With two kids and two dog, grey made more sense to me.

JJ

Obviously this is a matter of taste. My preferred combination would be dark green exteriro with tan interior. Taht said, I think grey/white/silver body with grey interior doesn't suffer as much from real offroad use.

I got grey. Mine looks great on 3rd row seats, up in attic. 2nd row covered in
unidentifiable goo made up of old milk, melted ice cream cones, popsicles, various dried fruit products, assorted mom approved cereals, fig newtons, and vomit containing much of the forementioned products. Front seats, back of them is much like 2nd row. Front of them is worn badly, no holes yet, where one enters and exits the truck. If only I could remove the leather from the jump seats and put it on the fronts. Maybe Santa will have my seats recovered for me next year in two tone grey to match the door interior.

:D :D :D :D

I try to keep that "residue cover" under a reasonable age, let's say a couple of months. But none of my seats show any wear at all.
BTW, my middle son (age 8) got sick and vomited three times in our last trip. We only had two bags. :mad: I proved that leather seats are much, much easier to clean than cloth :rolleyes:

I may be an odd-ball here, but I generally don't let my kids eat anything that can't be easily vaccumed up (crackers, goldfish, etc), nor do I let them drink anything other than water while riding in the vehicles. These rules of course, don't apply to me (dew or coke all day).

I do this for two reasons:
1.) The mess that they will make
2.) I don't want to have to stop the vehicle in an instant because they are choking on a sucker.
3.) Biggest of them all: I can't stand the smell of old food especially when its hot out, that is forever entrapped into the seats, carpet, & headliner.

Other than that, anything goes, much to my wife's disapproval, i.e. standing on the seats to pop out of the sunroof.

I've been lucky that all the barf-a-rama's in the car have been contained to their carseats!

I figure once the kids are older, i'll re-do the interior anyway, so let it wear as it is.

I had the same rules in my car in the beggining, now I have a couple good red gatorade stains! I would have preffered the gray leather, but back in 98 LC's were hard to find, so not only did I end up with tan interior leather, but the gold package!!! all said, I wouldnt trade it for anything else! I hear the Lexus leather is a higher quality; so their sales will always tell you. I have found that to be the true with the wood trim in Lexus vs. Toyota, go figure, must be the reason they call it Toyota's luxury line...

the grey leather looks very nice in a white truck IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom