100 series interior: gray vs. brown? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was looking for a grey interior...
But, after testing a "grey" and many "brown" I found the brown pretty nice.
I feel the grey interior more beautiful, on picture, but in the true life, grey interior appears (a little bit) cheaper (personal judgement , of course)
Same here, I wanted grey and ended up with tan. Now I like tan a little better. Although the lighter carpet shows stains, I've been able to get everything out, including grease from a bike chain.

I may be an odd-ball here, but I generally don't let my kids eat anything that can't be easily vaccumed up (crackers, goldfish, etc), nor do I let them drink anything other than water while riding in the vehicles. These rules of course, don't apply to me (dew or coke all day).

I do this for two reasons:
1.) The mess that they will make
2.) I don't want to have to stop the vehicle in an instant because they are choking on a sucker.
3.) Biggest of them all: I can't stand the smell of old food especially when its hot out, that is forever entrapped into the seats, carpet, & headliner.

Other than that, anything goes, much to my wife's disapproval, i.e. standing on the seats to pop out of the sunroof.

I've been lucky that all the barf-a-rama's in the car have been contained to their carseats!

I figure once the kids are older, i'll re-do the interior anyway, so let it wear as it is.

Thank God I don't want or have any kids !! If I ever did, I sure wouldn't allow them to use my vehicle or anyone else's as a mobile trash can. Read my lips >>No eating in the car under the age of 12 !! I can't believe how some people abuse nice things. IMO if you are going to abuse your car with messy kids I would suggest getting something with a washable interior !! :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2001 UZJ100-- Champagne Pearl
1989 FJ62-- Freeborn Red
1991 Range Rover Classic-- Ardennes Green
2003 Mercedes CL55 AMG-- Bright Silver Metallic ( top speed limiter removed)

Last edited:
Thank God I don't want or have any kids !! If I ever did, I sure wouldn't allow them to use my vehicle or anyone else's as a mobile trash can. Read my lips >>No eating in the car under the age of 12 !! I can't believe how some people abuse nice things. IMO if you are going to abuse your car with messy kids I would suggest getting something with a washable interior !! :D

Very easy to enforce if you have no kids, or if you take only short trips. But try taking a trip with younger kids that need a snack every couple hours and you'de eventually give in too, or hear the wrath (which is much worse than the unhappy wife for spending too much for your toys).

Thank God I don't want or have any kids !! If I ever did, I sure wouldn't allow them to use my vehicle or anyone else's as a mobile trash can. Read my lips >>No eating in the car under the age of 12 !! I can't believe how some people abuse nice things. IMO if you are going to abuse your car with messy kids I would suggest getting something with a washable interior !!

you are kidding right?:rolleyes:

I have a 7 and 5 year old and they're allowed to eat in the LC,however if they want to walk on the seats they have to take their shoes off. Drinks need to be in a somewhat spillproof container, juice boxes work great. I always carry plenty of moist towelettes especially on long trips. I also always carry a bottle of Lexol and extra towels in case there are any mishaps. The mishaps are inevitable, so quick cleanups are a must. I also apply leather conditioner every 2 weeks. Also, I use an air compressor to blow out all debris especially around the seams of the leather. As far as the Gray vs Tan debate, mine is grey and I think the tan looks better, but I think proper maintenance of the leather is a must and it will last for a good while.

Absolutely not !! :lol: :lol:

You will probably take this as disrespectful, and I'm not trying to be, but your post says "thank God I don't have any kids" and then goes on to demonstrate kids are messy and might dirty up your nice vehicle. Your statements are enough to get a parent a bit excited. We're talking about a car, a Toyota vs. a child.

My point is you really don't know what your priorities are until you have kids, the car interior that was once sacred now becomes secondary... (.02 from someone with several $ cars and a parent of 4)

I don't have kids. Am getting married in a few months.... and eventually will, of course, have kids. Me and my fiance want to adopt at least one child.

However, one of the most hilarious things I have ever heard is from the Simpsons. SOmething like aliens are about to eat Homer and he says "Don't eat me!!! I have wife and kids. Eat them."

You will probably take this as disrespectful, and I'm not trying to be, but your post says "thank God I don't have any kids" and then goes on to demonstrate kids are messy and might dirty up your nice vehicle. Your statements are enough to get a parent a bit excited. We're talking about a car, a Toyota vs. a child.

My point is you really don't know what your priorities are until you have kids, the car interior that was once sacred now becomes secondary... (.02 from someone with several $ cars and a parent of 4)

Any speculation on the percentage equipped with tan vs gray interior?

Well put. Kids certainly do change one's priorities. I actually have mine to thank for being able to purchase my current 100. Unless they're writing on the 'walls' or seats of my 100, I expect them to be well, kids. They're just going to be messy. Mine especially like to put their shoes against the front seats which at first really got to me. Experienced my first collision in the 100 and safety surpassed cleanliness real fast on my list. The truck did its job, superbly.

I sanitize and clean up the clutter when I get to it. Just routine maintenance is all.

Back to the topic. I have grey interior. I think the tan is a little more forgiving when you have kids though.

I speculate there were more tan interiors on earlier 100's and then maybe 50/50, tan to gray on the later years. Overall, more tan... 66.6%?

I've been looking at a 100 series a potential daily driver after giving up on the 80 series (long story). Looking at 98-00 at this time, and was curious because I've looked at a couple of dozen trucks and *all* of them had brown interior. I would prefer a grey interior (dream combinations, in this order, are white/grey, silver/grey or green/grey), but they seem to be few and far between on the earlier models, and even on the newer models brown (or khaki, really) seems to be more prevalent. Has anyone else encountered this? Is this a known quirk? I apologize if this topic has come up, I read most of the FAQ and didn't see any references to this. I'm a moron when it comes to newer Cruisers, never really considered one until very recently.

Heck, we've got one of each!
My wifes is a '98 Mica Green w/Gray interior and mine is a '98 Mica Green w/Brown. I like the brown myself, she likes the gray. We both love our LC's.

I have an 01 LX blue vapor metallic exterior, (fancy name for light blue and darker grey blue) with grey interior. I looked and looked until I found the grey leather because I prefer that over the tan/ivory. Haven't had the tan/ivory to determine if it looks more rich. The grey leather I have is certainly more rich than the seats in my 40 or in my old Tacoma!

Hope you find what you are looking for.

I am very happy with my tan/brown interior. Always have preferred brown over grey. Looks more natural, and looks "ok" with wear... like an old glove.

I have 4 kids, and I'm an OCD nut over at least the interiors of my vehicles. Ground rules: 1. If you make a mess with it, you won't be allowed to have it in the vehicle. 2. No boogers... anywhere.

I have tan interior on my white 2003. I wanted grey on grey....probably my favorite combo. The ole Black and Tan is pretty good, too. I don't really like white cars....but its grown on me now. We also have a white 325i. Go figure!

wow, these answers are way too long. This should be a one word thing. . .

. . .Gray . . or . .

. . .grey over there

wait. . . changed my mind to brown

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom