100 Series Front Bumper, Slee VS ARB (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Layonnn said:
ARB and Slee require cutting that hanging low portion

I didn't think you had to (98-02 anyway) as it used spacers on the bottom side of the frame rail. I'll have to look again at the ARB PDF again:meh:

"Anyway, if mine didn't already have an ARB combo bar on it, I probably would have went with a Blueberry. Little bit lower profile.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

I think all ARB bumpers require trimming of the frame horns. I know the 03+ does.

2000UZJ said:
I think all ARB bumpers require trimming of the frame horns. I know the 03+ does.

Looking at the PDF install instructions, 03+ does, 02 down doesn't.:meh:

it required it on mine. wierd. . .

Maybe the design/install has changed over the years:meh:

On the ARB I have they used channel packers on the bottom to fill the gap eliminating the need to cut the lower horn off.

Last edited:
interesting. Is there any difference in the frame horn between the LX and LC?

Yukon, you have an '03 Combo bar. It's a difference of bumper design. The frames have the same design.

Last edited:
how do you know what i have?!? and my bad, i didnt read carefully. i thought we were talking about the 03

Last edited:
LOL, cuz I sold it to you? Cheers :beer:

I really want the Slee but can't get over the idea that as soon as I get one on there I will hit a deer/elk/cow. I discount it until I drive the Colorado/Utah mountains at night with deer everywhere. Seems the Bull bars would be a lot less likely to deflect an animal up and into the windshield when compared to stock or Slee.

Anybody have deer hit pics or experience for the Slee?

I really want the Slee but can't get over the idea that as soon as I get one on there I will hit a deer/elk/cow. I discount it until I drive the Colorado/Utah mountains at night with deer everywhere. Seems the Bull bars would be a lot less likely to deflect an animal up and into the windshield when compared to stock or Slee.

Anybody have deer hit pics or experience for the Slee?

^^ This was ultimately the reason I went with the BIO front bumper with bar work for added protection. It offered excellent high clearance in the front, bull bar style protection and I had Mike add fog light holes for me. I had previously crunched a front fender and the deer population is out of control in my town so in the end that was my justification. I do love the Slee Blueberry bumper though; It's the only other hundy bumper on the market currently that I would buy.

^^ This was ultimately the reason I went with the BIO front bumper with bar work for added protection. It offered excellent high clearance in the front, bull bar style protection and I had Mike add fog light holes for me. I had previously crunched a front fender and the deer population is out of control in my town so in the end that was my justification. I do love the Slee Blueberry bumper though; It's the only other hundy bumper on the market currently that I would buy.

JGRAY....Can you post up some pictures with your integrated fog lights?

Bump!!

Just came across this Picture on Slees webside, I wish i could say it helped my delemea any...

56.jpg

Might have missed it in my searching but have you compared weights?

I'm guessing they are pretty similar but when I drove the FJC that was always something I thought about with limited payload and power. I think it really comes down to the barwork for me...with bars the LC looks a bit older and without it looks like a newer vehicle.

I'd go Slee and colormatch it to the trim or the vehicle depending on what color of rig you have.

IIRC Slee's Blueberry bumper is ~140lbs. That's about ~30lbs heavier than most ARB/TJM bumpers (apples to apples...the bull bar hoop will add some weight ). For how and where we travel the Blueberry bumper was the best investment for me compared to any other off-the shelf bumper. Its performed to expectation...and I don't have to wonder if the recovery points are up to task.

The way Christo designed the inside outer bumper to wing reinforcement panels is tops; the wings are solidly integrated to the main bumper itself.

I believe he's even using high tensile steel and the welds are 1st rate. I don't think anyone in the current crop of front bumper offerings for the 100-Series has as well and as stoutly designed & constructed a bumper as the Blueberry...

Thanks for your take Spresso. As far as the construction I have no doubts about the Slee front. With owning Cristos rear bumper lets just say im more than impressed.

Question for you, at the end of the day if I end up going with the ARB, any hopes or timeframe you might make your recovery bracket again?

Thanks Spresso

^ If I can get 25 qty commitment from interested parties then I'll go out on the limb and make another production run. But they will need to be $99ea (actually at the current cost of fabrication they really should be $125ea to adequately cover all my costs...but if I can get 25 units pre-sold I'd do them for less!) for the FRBv2 (with grd 12.9 bolts, washers; FRBv2L would need to be $110ea)...assuming I can get the shop to honor up on their last waterjet price (they should...I have it in writing but it has been about 6-months).

A recovery bracket could be made cheaper out of thinner material, welded two piece, etc.; however none will test out at the minimum WLL to be prudently safe IMO.

So I'm of the position: Either do them right or not at all.

Sorry guys for the thread-jack.

I posted this picture in another thread, but the new TJM bumper has some heavy duty recovery points built in.

The bumper itself isn't as heavy duty as the Slee bumper, but it seems like a better choice than ARB if you really want built in recovery points
IMG_1027.jpg
IMG_1028.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom