100 series driving dynamics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I agree about seat comfort on long drives in LC vs. BMW. I too have had at least one BMW in the stable at all times for at least 6 years now. My LX is set up nice with all new rubber/control arm everywhere but still old steering rack and I can't for the life of me mistake the LX for my BMWs! Just the body motions of a 2.5 tons are on a different playing field altogether.
Perhaps a new steering rack on my LX would change the steering feel slightly but there is no play in it at the moment so not sure it will change much.
Perhaps the difference in our experience is because of the condition of your BMW's suspension? They tend to worn out by the time they hit 90k! I usually put all new suspension on my Bimmers and have never found them in any way comparable to the LC.

Here's what I have owned so far in the BMW land:
e46 325i, e46 325i 5MT, e46 325xi, E39 525iT 5MT, E53 530i, E53 530i 5MT, E60 530xi 6MT, F15 35i X-drive.
Got it, "Bavarian" is Your Favorite "B" Word! I owned exclusively e30's (at least 1 of every model of the 3's-> i, ic, ix, e's 2-Ms) as backup/daily driver for 20+ yrs, adding 50-100kmi on ea. of all of them so I feel ya; We went w/'03 e39 530i because I could still maintain it. Later You own more complicated (computer interfaces, oil pan DRAIN PLUG REMOVED, etc) they get, w/o that much 'gain' for the $250./hr labor at our factory shops as trade off. Haven't done bushings/rack, haven't needed to, still tight as a tick w/new control arms & struts all around (& rrs are a PITA on a Good Day!) My point was comparing the LC ('02, 133k mi, all orig., now) vs. E39 530i ('03, replaced ball joints, tie rod ends, all 4 struts & springs, all new cooling system, 2 x since new, 141k mi. now) is a pretty close comparison (by yr/age & mileage) & You're absolutely right, the bmw's do start feeling 'sucky' at 100k mi, or less, BUT the LC's Don't? & then again we Both Know, You Drive both Differently, instinctively. We Just Do. Your LX is also heavier than the LC's, but I could only compare what I own, to what else I own? Both have phenomenally low miles(for their age), both are garage kept, & both are still pretty close to factory original in most aerodynamic & handling aspects. YES, the LC is a Ton Heavier (at least) & even w/a V8 would get blown off the road by any of the 5 series, any yr, probably w/a misfire to boot. My point was straight out handling, and driver comfort. Straight out handling = Does it go where I point it w/o drifting or Rolling Over? For the LC, yes, as long as I'm not stupid. for the 5 series, absolutely. We're trying to put apples & oranges in the same box. Perhaps the BMW X7 would be a more apropos comparable, but I don't have (or ever want) 1 of those nightmare's either! We're going to be selling the 530i soon enough & it's worth $3k+ more than we paid for it in Late '19 w/96k on it then. I'm thinking an ES/EX 350 Lexus to take it's place? Beemers, later than the e30's are getting too tiresome for me these days; Not 'rich' enough to buy gas for all the wheels we've got already, & there's never enough garage bays for those that deserve the coverage. & Wife LOVES the FJ100, so I'm a happy camper. She doesn't drive like a 'grandma', but she's also not trying to pull wheelies either. Happy wife, happy life, & She was driving the Beemer b4 her 'upgrade'? Thankfully we didn't have to take out a Mortgage to afford either 1! ;)

Got it, "Bavarian" is Your Favorite "B" Word! I owned exclusively e30's (at least 1 of every model of the 3's-> i, ic, ix, e's 2-Ms) as backup/daily driver for 20+ yrs, adding 50-100kmi on ea. of all of them so I feel ya; We went w/'03 e39 530i because I could still maintain it. Later You own more complicated (computer interfaces, oil pan DRAIN PLUG REMOVED, etc) they get, w/o that much 'gain' for the $250./hr labor at our factory shops as trade off. Haven't done bushings/rack, haven't needed to, still tight as a tick w/new control arms & struts all around (& rrs are a PITA on a Good Day!) My point was comparing the LC ('02, 133k mi, all orig., now) vs. E39 530i ('03, replaced ball joints, tie rod ends, all 4 struts & springs, all new cooling system, 2 x since new, 141k mi. now) is a pretty close comparison (by yr/age & mileage) & You're absolutely right, the bmw's do start feeling 'sucky' at 100k mi, or less, BUT the LC's Don't? & then again we Both Know, You Drive both Differently, instinctively. We Just Do. Your LX is also heavier than the LC's, but I could only compare what I own, to what else I own? Both have phenomenally low miles(for their age), both are garage kept, & both are still pretty close to factory original in most aerodynamic & handling aspects. YES, the LC is a Ton Heavier (at least) & even w/a V8 would get blown off the road by any of the 5 series, any yr, probably w/a misfire to boot. My point was straight out handling, and driver comfort. Straight out handling = Does it go where I point it w/o drifting or Rolling Over? For the LC, yes, as long as I'm not stupid. for the 5 series, absolutely. We're trying to put apples & oranges in the same box. Perhaps the BMW X7 would be a more apropos comparable, but I don't have (or ever want) 1 of those nightmare's either! We're going to be selling the 530i soon enough & it's worth $3k+ more than we paid for it in Late '19 w/96k on it then. I'm thinking an ES/EX 350 Lexus to take it's place? Beemers, later than the e30's are getting too tiresome for me these days; Not 'rich' enough to buy gas for all the wheels we've got already, & there's never enough garage bays for those that deserve the coverage. & Wife LOVES the FJ100, so I'm a happy camper. She doesn't drive like a 'grandma', but she's also not trying to pull wheelies either. Happy wife, happy life, & She was driving the Beemer b4 her 'upgrade'? Thankfully we didn't have to take out a Mortgage to afford either 1! ;)
Got it.

On a different note, there seems to be a lot of BMW lovers here, I wonder if I should start a thread in the Chat section!

Got it.

On a different note, there seems to be a lot of BMW lovers here, I wonder if I should start a thread in the Chat section!
There are lots of bimmer/beemer/bmw boards out there? I wouldn't think of here in search of either fellow owners/''tech support'? Maybe a 'poll' would be kewl? Waaay too damned 'newbie' to go poking sticks in potential hornet's nests for me; it would be interesting to see how many are drawn to both Japanese & German designs.

You're a real glutton for punishment, aren't you?
I cringed over the e46's....they're just like the e39's....horrific cooling system. Which isn't a big deal until You blow a water pump & suck up a serp, belt and slice those damned custom hoses, and have no alternator or PS Pump while the fan & clutch trashes the radiator? (Oh yea, btdt, vowed never again for an e46 3 series but the e39's are equally weak in the same category? 1st HINT Of a squeal & that shroud & fan are removed & it's all gone over like a DI Inspecting Hospital Corners in Basic Training! I'm sure we've all provided AAA w/their 'premier' membership fees with glee over the past decades, bmw owners included. I sure have....best investment of the year!

You're a real glutton for punishment, aren't you?
Dude! Believe me, this is my second 100 and hands down, no question-abt-it, they are the most expensive cars to own/run! Like may be at least two or three times more expensive than any BMW I have owned!

I know BMWs get bad rep, mostly from the idiots who either, a) don't understand the concept of preventative care (like all cooling systems need refreshing at 100k, replace $8 oil filter housing gasket!), or b) buy v8s! But they are nothing compared to the cost of ownership I have experienced on both of my trucks!

Dude! Believe me, this is my second 100 and hands down, no question-abt-it, they are the most expensive cars to own/run! Like may be at least two or three times more expensive than any BMW I have owned!

I know BMWs get bad rep, mostly from the idiots who either, a) don't understand the concept of preventative care (like all cooling systems need refreshing at 100k, replace $8 oil filter housing gasket!), or b) buy v8s! But they are nothing compared to the cost of ownership I have experienced on both of my trucks!

SERIOUSLY? Where the Hellwere YOU When I was doing research on these? I read only glowing reviews of minimal expenses & weak links being TB & Starters? I knocked out critical stuff (& replaced most of A/C system [front & rr]), New TB/H2o Pump, whole schabang, & new front pads. Changed oil....normal 'stupid' stuff. Ours was 20 yrs old & only 81k mi. I wasn't trusting ANYTHING scheduled for 100k tune up. I did it ALL, then Checked trans fluid, gorgeous, same w/rr diff & tcase. I'm beginning to think we got Really Lucky? Or bought early enough in mileage process to stay ahead of potential former 'neglect'? Pulled plugs, again gorgeous, couldn't even CLEAN Them as gorgeous means just that, Honestly in 12 mos, I haven't spent CLOSE to $1k on it yet, & that's ALL OEM Parts, & doing all my own labor w/way too many tools? Everything replaced I know I can count on for at least another 100k mi.? Beemers do get a bad rep, but the latest 1's are deserving of all of it....they're more plastic than metal & that's UNDER THE HOOD now. Just sayin' I've looked at a few E90's & they aren't 'all that'. I missed anybody giving feedback like Yours, although mileage was never even a consideration. Wife wanted SAFE & Reliable. So far I've nailed both; Mileage isn't even Mentioned at the dinner table (yes, we HAVE spent approaching $150.+ for a 'fillup'. Off to go read this review never seen previously.......:cool:
:eek:

SERIOUSLY? Where the Hellwere YOU When I was doing research on these? I read only glowing reviews of minimal expenses & weak links being TB & Starters? I knocked out critical stuff (& replaced most of A/C system [front & rr]), New TB/H2o Pump, whole schabang, & new front pads. Changed oil....normal 'stupid' stuff. Ours was 20 yrs old & only 81k mi. I wasn't trusting ANYTHING scheduled for 100k tune up. I did it ALL, then Checked trans fluid, gorgeous, same w/rr diff & tcase. I'm beginning to think we got Really Lucky? Or bought early enough in mileage process to stay ahead of potential former 'neglect'? Pulled plugs, again gorgeous, couldn't even CLEAN Them as gorgeous means just that, Honestly in 12 mos, I haven't spent CLOSE to $1k on it yet, & that's ALL OEM Parts, & doing all my own labor w/way too many tools? Everything replaced I know I can count on for at least another 100k mi.? Beemers do get a bad rep, but the latest 1's are deserving of all of it....they're more plastic than metal & that's UNDER THE HOOD now. Just sayin' I've looked at a few E90's & they aren't 'all that'. I missed anybody giving feedback like Yours, although mileage was never even a consideration. Wife wanted SAFE & Reliable. So far I've nailed both; Mileage isn't even Mentioned at the dinner table (yes, we HAVE spent approaching $150.+ for a 'fillup'. Off to go read this review never seen previously.......:cool:
:eek:

IME:

The 100 can be pricey to get sorted after buying from an owner who leaned heavily on the 'they don't need anything' mindset. Once they're sorted (and not continuously beaten on, submerged, stressed, touched by lay-hands, etc) then they're usually good for a long time.

I've had e34, e39, e38, and e46. They get sorted, then you do it again. Luckily I never kept any long enough for the 'do it again'.

IME:

The 100 can be pricey to get sorted after buying from an owner who leaned heavily on the 'they don't need anything' mindset. Once they're sorted (and not continuously beaten on, submerged, stressed, touched by lay-hands, etc) then they're usually good for a long time.

I've had e34, e39, e38, and e46. They get sorted, then you do it again. Luckily I never kept any long enough for the 'do it again'.
Exceptionally Well Said. A few of the really good 1's I've happily kept to 'do it all again', but only because they were absolutely worth it ('46 split window international pickup, '66 Chevy Long bed former Oregon Dept of Forestry straight 6 2wd, & a couple of those e30's & the '59 MGA). Doing it all the 2nd x around is purely a labor of love.

IME:

Haha! Everyone says you have to do it again, yet no one seems to have ;)
My e60 x drive with non turbo inline six (n52) is silky smooth at 171k miles on original engine transmission and clutch. Had to refresh suspension and cooling system once so far!

Im serious, i dont think guys know how good these 100s can drive with the proper setup.

This is what we need to talk about here! I'm now getting to the finer points of sorting the ride of my 100, and would love the input.
Got it.

Another one here. DD is a 2013 128i M-Sport 6sp, but I'd much rather talk about Land Cruisers any day!

Last edited:
This is what we need to talk about here! I'm not getting to the finer po
I think my Steering rack and lower tie rods (i think thats what they are called??) were so bad that when SLEE replaced, i went from a 22 year old truck to feeling like it was new off the show room floor. That is really all that I have done up front. Mine also has 120k less miles than yours.... 156k here. I also have 275 wide tires which i much prefer to the 285s for my 99% on road mall cruiser.

I think my Steering rack and lower tie rods (i think thats what they are called??) were so bad that when SLEE replaced, i went from a 22 year old truck to feeling like it was new off the show room floor. That is really all that I have done up front. Mine also has 120k less miles than yours.... 156k here. I also have 275 wide tires which i much prefer to the 285s for my 99% on road mall cruiser.
I have a reman rack and recently replaced the steering rack bushing with poly. I'll have to admit, TRE's are probably the only thing I haven't replaced yet. Every other rubber component is new OEM. The lower control arm bushings were a real project.

The next things on my list are TREs and extended sway links, perhaps a delta vehicle systems rear Panhard bar adjustment. My goal is to have this thing drive as well as it can with my current build.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom