100 Series are Expensive - Discuss! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ClassyJalopy

Congenitally insane nor irretrievably stupid...
SILVER Star
Threads
This may not be the most popular topic here, but after 6 months of ownership here are my candid thoughts.
As reliable and awesome to own these trucks are, they can be very expensive to own. To be fair, they don't cost much to keep running but the dismally high fuel consumption and high cost of upgrades add up VERY quickly.

Feel free to share your own experience.

Purchase
My 98 LX470 was very inexpensive to buy ( I paid only $2500) for it. It had 238k miles and was maintained at the same Lexus dealership it was bought from since new. It was kneeling on the bump stops due to broken left front height sensor. New radiator, new steering rack and new battery all within last couple of years.

Fixes
The truck needed a few things to make it family travel worthy. Here's the list:
  • New left front height sensor
  • New Falken Wilde Peak AT3W tires
  • Heater Ts and pipes
  • Rear AC lines and AC flush
  • New Starter
  • Fresh fluid everywhere
  • New sway bar links
  • AHC fluid flush
  • Front and rear sway bar links and bushings
  • Front seat custom covers

While I started to feel pretty good about the truck, my brakes were still mushy. $1100 later
Installed new brake booster and pump assembly and rebuilt the master cylinder.

Upgrades
I have learned so much at this forum and saved a ton of money on my repairs. But this forum and the high dollar built up rigs posted here have definitely planted the upgrade bug :worms:.

I don't have much opportunity to take my truck off road (Wisconsin and Upper Mid west just sucks in that regard:(), I still try to "wheel" as much as I can on the road construction sites (on weekends when no crew is onsite;)). That's how I got stuck in a mud pit (see my avatar pic!)). I would also like to take at least one trip every year where I can go off the beaten path.

So, I started putting money in my truck that I didn't think I would and certainly wouldn't want :princess: to find out! Here's what I have done so far:

• WKOR rock sliders
  • Stripped off AHC and put on stock TBs and shocks with OME 2865 springs (net 1.5" lift)
  • Installed HID conversion kit in the stock lights (total waste of money :flush:)
  • Installed worthless LED pods on the hood (by the windshield (total waste of money :flush:)
  • Installed a Chinese Android head unit - works fairly well especially with the backup camera

Bought some recovery gear
  • MaxTraxx knock off traction boards
  • Rear hitch mount shackle
  • portable air compressor
  • tow strap and tree saver strap
more to come...

"My 98 LX470 was very inexpensive to buy ( I paid only $2500) for it. It had 238k miles"

You bought a 20 year old vehicle w 238k miles for $2,500. Of course you are going to have to replace wear items. What were you expecting?

Last edited:
Baselining isn't exactly cheap. And, upgrades can get expensive for sure. However, once baselined, even occasional major repairs are infrequent and the costs are less than owning an equivalent new vehicle. If I were to buy a TR4Pro, I'd be looking at a $600+ monthly car payment before any upgrades and I'd still have to maintain it. The way I see it is this: until my 98 LX costs me $7200 annually ($600/monthx12) in repairs (not elective/upgrade things), then this vehicle is a sound ownership decision. The gas cost delta is certainly something to consider....

My '98 LX built out gets 10mpg worst case for me. 30,000 miles/year (I drive a LOT) means I'm using roughly 3,000 gallons total. At $2.50/gallon average, I'm spending $7,500 in fuel annually.

My uncles 2017 T4R Pro gets 16mpg (real world mixed driving). If he drove 30,000 miles/year, he'd use roughly 1,875 gallons total. At $2.50/gallon average, he'd spend $4,687.50 total.

The difference in fuel cost would be $2,812.50. Using that delta, I back that cost difference out of my $7,200 and arrive at $4,387.50 (now my total cost with fuel is the same as the total cost of a new T4R Pro with fuel). So, as long my repairs (not maintenance) don't exceed $4,387.50 annually, I'm perfectly happy. After all, as nice as a T4R Pro is, I still love the solid feel of my 100 and feel it's unmatched.

Of course, the upgrade bug is a MAJOR issue for me. THAT'S what has killed my budget. So glad I don't have a $600/month car payment on TOP of the upgrade expenses :)

Last edited:
Part Deux:

Wish List
Here's everything I would love to get but can't bring my myself to put it on credit card :frown:

• Full TSX-r projector retrofit
  • Front hidden winch mount
  • A decent winch
  • Front tow points
  • Some under carriage treatment to stop surface rust
  • KISS drawers
  • A decent roof rack
  • Decent LED light bars

Cost
I keep a spreadsheet of everything I spend on this car and would you believe it if I told you that I have spent $7500 on a $2500 truck? And that's not including the recovery gear, insurance, registration etc.
So as she sits, she is a $10,000 car and I can't help but wonder if it would have been wiser to buy a newer LC with lower miles for that much? But would I have to do some of the same maintenance anyway so may be I will be in the similar situation again?

All said and done, I love driving this amazing truck and despite having a manual BMW 5 series and a newer Sienna, we drive it all the time.
Perhaps I should spend another couple of grand and finish my wish list :grinpimp:

Welcome Toyota / Offroad financial hell. Hope you enjoy your stay!

100s aren't awful, it seems like parts last 100-200k and replacing all of the wearable items can add up, like any vehicle.

My advice to anyone wanting to "build" a vehicle.... buy a nice one that's already built and save thousands. In the end, only the person spending the money can determine if a good value was purchased. I'm established and drive the cars I like (LX and 2005 4runner), but don't spend wildly more than I would if I had 2 Honda civics (minus fuel).

Last edited:
I spent 12k on my 2000 with 159k, and put another $1,000ush into maintenance (starter and radiator). Now I have a reliable badass truck for roughly 13k. I rather have an LC than a newer Tundra / 4runner / Taco etc at a similar price.

Expensive is a relative term. Compared to knitting as a hobby, yeah, I'd agree, it's pretty expensive. But, if you are a circus manager and fly stunt planes for a hobby, $1500 for a front bumper is a steal compared to whatever a propeller or the dohickeys that blow the smoke trail on a plane costs.

Cost
I keep a spreadsheet of everything I spend on this car and would you believe it if I told you that I have spent $7500 on a $2500 truck? And that's not including the recovery gear, insurance, registration etc.
So as she sits, she is a $10,000 car and I can't help but wonder if it would have been wiser to buy a newer LC with lower miles for that much?

No, you've got the right year for low cost but you should have bought a nicer one and done the work yourself. Old vehicles are for DIYers. And a rust-free example will give you the best potential for future appreciation to offset upkeep costs over the long term.

Of course, the upgrade bug is a MAJOR issue for me. THAT'S what has killed my budget. So glad I don't have a $600/month car payment on TOP of the upgrade expenses :)

That's the great thing about owning these. You make the upgrades as you want to. The bank want's its $600 every month which takes away from the upgrades each month.

@geanes your ride is one of the inspirations

No, you've got the right year for low cost but you should have bought a nicer one and done the work yourself. Old vehicles are for DIYers. And a rust-free example will give you the best potential for future appreciation to offset upkeep costs over the long term.

I hear ya. With the exception of AC stuff and starter (MY brother was stuck in MI when the starter gave up ghost), I do all the stuff myself. The local 4x4 shop wanted $1000 just to take AHC off and installed replacement parts!

Expensive compared to the 2001 BMW 5 series wagon that I overhauled the suspension, cooling system, and a lot of other stuff on. Upgraded until I had everything the way I wanted. And yet the parts and upgrades were comparatively less expensive than what I spent on my LX.

Again, this is not a complaint, these are my observations. I looked at a few $10 K truck before jumping on this one. And, even though I have spent 10 large on it, I still look at the MUD forums for other upgrade ideas and which one would I want to do next :p

Expensive is a relative term. Compared to knitting as a hobby, yeah, I'd agree, it's pretty expensive. But, if you are a circus manager and fly stunt planes for a hobby, $1500 for a front bumper is a steal compared to whatever a propeller or the dohickeys that blow the smoke trail on a plane costs.

Part Deux:

Wish List
Here's everything I would love to get but can't bring my myself to put it on credit card :frown:

• Full TSX-r projector retrofit
  • Front hidden winch mount
  • A decent winch
  • Front tow points
  • Some under carriage treatment to stop surface rust
  • KISS drawers
  • A decent roof rack
  • Decent LED light bars

Cost
So as she sits, she is a $10,000 car and I can't help but wonder if it would have been wiser to buy a newer LC with lower miles for that much? But would I have to do some of the same maintenance anyway so may be I will be in the similar situation again?

All said and done, I love driving this amazing truck and despite having a manual BMW 5 series and a newer Sienna, we drive it all the time.
Perhaps I should spend another couple of grand and finish my wish list :grinpimp:

That stuff is part of off roading and owning a vehicle in general.

10k for a vehicle that is going to last you another 200k miles seems like a pretty good deal to me. Especially if it's paid for. @geanes summed it up perfectly.

Old cars take work, but not all old cars will continue to work this well and take the sort of abuse a land cruiser can take. There aren't many 20 year old vehicles that you can drive cross country, then do 200 miles of back roads, some hard trails, then drive back across the country.. with zero issues... at 200k miles, most other vehicles are just about to be scrapped, or they are on their second or third transmission or engine. A friend with a JK has 220k miles and literally is on his 3rd engine and 2nd transmission... who do you think paid more, him or you?

Expensive compared to the 2001 BMW 5 series wagon that I overhauled the suspension, cooling system, and a lot of other stuff on. Upgraded until I had everything the way I wanted. And yet the parts and upgrades were comparatively less expensive than what I spent on my LX.

Again, this is not a complaint, these are my observations. I looked at a few $10 K truck before jumping on this one. And, even though I have spent 10 large on it, I still look at the MUD forums for other upgrade ideas and which one would I want to do next :p

Keep in mind the market, there are far fewer people building these rigs... a vendor for 100 series front bumpers may sell 20 this year where the vendor selling Jeep JK bumpers may sell 2000... so profit margins are much different

I think now that you've baselined it the worst is behind you. As for spending money on upgrades, this group is a bad influence :hillbilly:

Here's my take. The LC is a premium luxury car, even if it's not perceived that way in the US market. Opening/closing doors, operating switches, and of course driving behavior all feel premium (assuming the truck is well maintained). Plus proven reliability. In light of that what other 20 year old premium car can you buy that's so enjoyable to drive, that beats it in total cost of ownership? Maybe a 20 year old Lexus LS. I can't think of much else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom