100 series Coastal Off Road build your own dual swingout review (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My review of the double swing out coastal build your own 100 rear.

First let me say that I’m happy with the finished product.

Another note, we TIG’d the whole thing, which I’m sure added a not insignificant amount of time to the process. Also, by we I mean my bff Jerry who lives 350 miles away. I got everything shipped up to him then drove up to meet him over two long weekends. He did some of the prep, and non fit sensitive building to streamline everything. So yeah, enormous thanks to him.

Pt1. The bumper proper. This went pretty smoothly. The instructions were pretty good, but for $1800 I really wish they didn’t cheap out on the hardware and say ‘just go buy your own m14 and m12 fastners’. Finding the appropriate thread pitch wasn’t super easy and took 2 different ACE hardware locations to get not all of what was needed, and ultimately took 3 aces in total. Also, the shackle rings were 3 pieces sandwiched which didn’t have the same OD, so that was a pain to fill in.

I really like the angles on the bumper, and it looks good with the slee blueberry in the front. The rear sides stick out a bit father than expected, but that’s not a bad thing. Also, the 3/16” steel is no joke. It feels very very robust.

Pt2. The swingouts. This was a bit less enjoyable. The instructions were cobbled together from what looked like 3 different vehicles and 4 different iterations of product. There was stuff like the plastic stop that should have been cut to size. Beyond the instructions my biggest complaint is that the hardware, which you’re told to weld rather than bolt, is zinc coated. That’s not good. So after realizing this it took some extra grinding and dealing with fumes, and some spattering welds. Also, I really think they should revise the can holder so it fits scepter plastic cans, which have some advantages over the metal nato cans. They fit if you force them, but it’s not ideal, I’ll be swapping these out for nato cans. I do however like that you can remove the can holder with 4 bolts.

I haven’t put on the aux mounting points, wasn’t really sure how to lay it out yet. The traction boards are mounted to the tire with some straps, and of course the trasharoo (yay craigslist)

TL;DR overall happy, they should include all hardware, and also not have galvinzed bits. The instructions also left a lot to be desired. If you migged rather than tigged it would still take a long time, and you absolutely need 2 people for a lot of it.

PXL_20230528_184741390.jpg

InkedPXL_20230528_184755074.jpg

I went this route as well, but just the spare swingout. It is definately stout , one item I should have passed on was the reciever. Very light duty, like for a bike rack. I ended up bolting on the factory hitch as I need to pull things now and then but it hangs kinda low. Other than that I really like it !

9A1FDC77-C0C7-45A8-B479-D36F87EEDC0C.jpeg

3800B31B-0CDD-4E4B-8A44-3C47AE5A5E0A.jpeg

659A0701-3847-426D-873C-F46042D894E4.jpeg

Gents, both of your bumpers came out great! :cool:

Could one of you guys snap a couple pics from underneath of the mounting area? I'd like a steel rear, but want to keep the spare underneath. My rig is my daily and I don't want to fool with swingouts.

Last edited:
@MountaineerLC It 100% won't fit with the spare, we discovered that during the first stages of fitting and welding.
Still happy to snap pics, but off that bat I can tell you with total certainty that it's not something that can coexist with stock spare mounting.

@FJFOOL sweet plate lol

Thanks Matt ! And I agree, not made for the spare underneath.

@MountaineerLC It 100% won't fit with the spare, we discovered that during the first stages of fitting and welding.
Still happy to snap pics, but off that bat I can tell you with total certainty that it's not something that can coexist with stock spare mounting.

@FJFOOL sweet plate lol

Thanks Matt, I appreciate the reply! The more I look into this the more it looks like custom is the way to go.

I went through this same process recently, and had the same feelings you did. I also TIGed it, which may have saved some flap disc time. The cold rolled steel was a treat to weld, but you are 100% right about those zinc plated nuts. I went to Ace as well, and grabbed stainless equivalents. Also echo the sentiment about the terrible instructions, and hardware not being provided. The instructions were bad, and showed an angle to the swingout that wasn't possible. Not sure why they include those square tubing pads for the plastic to sit on, because the angle would have never worked. I ended up drilling and tapping the bumper top to bolt the plastic to. The downside to this is that now there wasn't room for the hi lift to be mounted behind the tire. The bumper actually moves more than I thought, but have done several recoveries and haven't had any issues.

I own everything that coastal makes for the 100 series. I think instead of cutting tree logos into the product, some minimal expense could be spent elsewhere on their part. Love the way everything looks though.

I have front and rear bumper from Coastal and thought that both of those were relatively straight forward to build. I MIGed both of them. I agree that the final products looks great and feels super strong.

I recently ordered the single rear swing out, which should be delivered tomorrow. Going to try and put together this weekend. Thanks for the info, I feel like I have a better idea of what to expect.

I do have one question. My spare tire is a 35"x12.5" on 0 offset rim. Do you think I will have any issues fitting that on the carrier and hitting the rear tail gate?

I do have one question. My spare tire is a 35"x12.5" on 0 offset rim. Do you think I will have any issues fitting that on the carrier and hitting the rear tail gate?

They say it's good for 37s. There's a picture on their website of a SAS 100 with huge tires and they look like at least 37s. Not sure how much offset plays in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom