100/105 axle diameter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can anyone confirm or deny if Toyota beefed up (larger size/more splines) the inner axle shafts of the 100/105 (78, 79 maybe??) compared to the 80 and older series (40/60) series? Does anyone know if the birfield in the 105 the same size as the 80 series?

Sean,
You might get a better response posting this to the 80sCool Australia site as they are about the only active group that has seen a 105.

I am pretty sure the birfields on the 105's are the same as the 80's. The reason that I say this is that the ball bearing spindle for the 80 (superceded part) was first introduced with the 105's. This leads me to believe that the knuckle parts are interchangeable. FYI, all 100 series are IFS.

The 80 series birfields are substantially larger than the 60/55/40 series, And the 80 series axles are larger than the 60/55/40 series axles; front and rear.

-B-

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=9671;start=msg85101#msg85101 date=1073347966]

Sean,
You might get a better response posting this to the 80sCool Australia site as they are about the only active group that has seen a 105.

I am pretty sure the birfields on the 105's are the same as the 80's. The reason that I say this is that the ball bearing spindle for the 80 (superceded part) was first introduced with the 105's. This leads me to believe that the knuckle parts are interchangeable. FYI, all 100 series are IFS.

The 80 series birfields are substantially larger than the 60/55/40 series, And the 80 series axles are larger than the 60/55/40 series axles; front and rear.

-B-
[/quote]

Do you have a link to the 80sCool Australia site or is a mailing list?

I know the 80 series housing is bigger than the 60/40 stuff, but I believe the inner axles are still 30 spline. I could be wrong though.

Sean,
What has spline count go to do with axle size? Even if the 80 axle was 30 splines and the 40 birf was 30 splines, there is no way you could get it to fit without machining down the axle. Or am I missing something ? ? ?

Try Yahoo Groups. It's been so long there's no way I can remember how to sign up.

-B-

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=9671;start=msg85125#msg85125 date=1073350744]
Sean,
What has spline count go to do with axle size? Even if the 80 axle was 30 splines and the 40 birf was 30 splines, there is no way you could get it to fit without machining down the axle. Or am I missing something ? ? ?

-B-
[/quote]

Well, usually the more splines their is the larger the diameter the axle, right??? A 40 spline d60 axle is larger in diameter than a 35 spline d60 axle. Clear as mud? :)

Although guys are able to take 80 rear e-lockers and put them in the front and rear of their 40/60. Are you confusing the birfs with the inner axles shafts?

Sean,

>> Are you confusing the birfs with the inner axles shafts? <<

No, but I don't spend a lot of time counting the splines. I've got the axle diameters around here somewhere if that's what you're looking for. I'm 100% positive that the axle diameter will be a better indication of axle size than the spline count. Guaranteed.

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom