‘08 stereo volume maxed out but still low :SOLVED: (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve searched several threads and didn’t find anything conclusive.
When volume is maxed out on the display it’s still very low through the speakers. I’ve checked the fuse and it’s fine. Looked at the amp under the driver’s seat and doesn’t appear to have any frayed wires or loose connections.
It seems to me the amp is not functioning and driving the speakers.
Any ideas or sources for a known good stock amp?

What is your audio source? Same symptoms for CD/FM/aux?

What is your audio source? Same symptoms for CD/FM/aux?
I’ve only used/tried FM radio and Bluetooth audio through an FM station with same problem for both so far.

I’ve only used/tried FM radio and Bluetooth audio through an FM station with same problem for both so far.
I'd try to put a CD in there to determine whether the symptoms apply to all sources for troubleshooting. This isn't a common problem that I remember.

Try it with your blue tooth turned off.

Will try those tomorrow and report findings.

Also disconnect your battery for about 30 seconds. This will do a soft reset of the multimedia system.
If this has always been a problem, check your sound settings. Each type of connection has it's own settings. Make sure it is setup for the correct listening position, tone controls are set to flat, DSP is off, ASL is off, balance is center, fader is center, check all of the audio settings.

I’ve disconnected the battery, tried two different CDs, tried to make sure nothing was in the input jack and check the fuse under the hood. Also check over all of the settings, moved treble, mid, and bass to zero and back up. Moved fader/balance back and forth.

No change.

The tweeters seem to be working but speaker in the lower doors are muffled so much that I have to put my ear right against them and then can only just slightly hear anything from them. I seem to recall reading that the highs are controlled by the head unit and the mids/lows by the amp?
Joe on eBay that does the amp repair is willing to take a look but isn’t convinced the amp is the issue.

The tweeters seem to be working but speaker in the lower doors are muffled so much that I have to put my ear right against them and then can only just slightly hear anything from them. I seem to recall reading that the highs are controlled by the head unit and the mids/lows by the amp?
Joe on eBay that does the amp repair is willing to take a look but isn’t convinced the amp is the issue.

Sounds like good troubleshooting. Per my read of the EWD all speakers are powered by the amplifier. Sorry I can't help more.. this does seem like something we don't see a whole lot.

Also, I'd definitely check for water under the door sill trim.

Also, I'd definitely check for water under the door sill trim.
Definitely. Once upon a time I had an LR3 and it had water under the sill trim from blocked sunroof drains.

I’ve disconnected the battery, tried two different CDs, tried to make sure nothing was in the input jack and check the fuse under the hood. Also check over all of the settings, moved treble, mid, and bass to zero and back up. Moved fader/balance back and forth.

No change.

I vaguely remember someone on here having a somewhat similar situation and they resolved it by doing a hard reset of the Infotainment system. I have looked around the site and cannot find that post. Not sure if that info is in the FSM.

I vaguely remember someone on here having a somewhat similar situation and they resolved it by doing a hard reset of the Infotainment system. I have looked around the site and cannot find that post. Not sure if that info is in the FSM.
I disconnected the battery today and jump the positive and ground cables to do a hard reset. No change.
I've not had a chance to check under the door sills for evidence of water, will do that next.
If no evidence of water then I'd have to think the either the HU, the amp, or the aux jack are bad.

Pull trim panels today with no evidence of water and no corrosion on the connections in the right side kick panel. Also pulled all of the connectors at the amp with no evidence of corrosion or damage. I'm guessing at this point I need to pull the amp and send it to Joe for testing/repair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom