04 DVD Player Operation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
HI All- I am struggling to get my 04 Rear Entertainment Center DVD player to work. I believe it plays through he 6 changer CD/DVD in the center console. Toyota does not provide an operation sequence for how to get this to work which is mind blowing to me. Could anyone tell me how to get this to work? I have a remote but I don't think it is working, which could be part of the problem. I've also tried to play the DVD on the front LCD/ GPS screen and this will not work either. I've engaged the parking brake and followed the procedure in the manual. Any suggestions would be helpful.

A picture or 2 of the system installed in your car might help. There were quite a few port/dealer installed DVD systems around this time

Is it possible that you have the one with the DVD player installed in the cargo area:
upload_2017-8-15_8-57-57.png

A picture or 2 of the system installed in your car might help. There were quite a few port/dealer installed DVD systems around this time

Is it possible that you have the one with the DVD player installed in the cargo area:
View attachment 1517448
Thanks JBL! Unfortunately I do not have the DVD player in the back like the picture you sent. I am attaching pics of the DVD changes in the front center console, the screen of the GPS/ radio unit (notice that picture is not enabled), the rear location you mentioned where there is no DVD player, the radio/DVD player in the back of the center console, and the overhead connections I have for the DVD player. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

IMG_3650.JPG

IMG_3651.JPG

IMG_3654.JPG

IMG_3655.JPG

IMG_3660.JPG

The CD/DVD changer in the center console is OEM and should be able to play audio discs through the stereo or "Rear Seat Entertainment System" (on the back of the console). It should also be able to play Video DVDs on the front "nav" screen (if you jump through the right hoops)

You didn't show a picture of the overhead screen/dvd unit. From the "footprint" left in the headliner, I suspect the overhead DVD player is aftermarket (port,dealer, or owner installed). If that is the case, more than likely, the only way it will interact with the OEM equipment would to be to play audio through a FM radio station on the OEM equipment

Thanks again for the reply. When I bought this car, it had an aftermarket DVD player that did not work. So I started investigating it. I bought a used original Toyota DVD player last month from a junked 04 landcruiser. My sense is that the car originally had a DVD player that stopped working and then they put in the aftermarket version. The light and dvd in the roof fit my new unit exactly. See pics 2 and 3 below. Thus, I believe the original car had a unit and it was replaced. Please let me know your thoughts. Does anyone else have the DVD player in the center console. Appreciate all the help.

IMG_3662.JPG

IMG_3663.JPG

IMG_3664.JPG

The DVD changer in the center console has been in all of the later models that I have seen (w/ or w/o a rear seat DVD screen).

The picture of the screen you included, looks like the ones that I am accustomed to seeing with the cargo area DVD player

This screen:
upload_2017-8-15_12-34-40.png

Here are the installation instructions:
http://toyotaparts.sparkstoyota.com/install/PT296-6002D-XXinst.pdf

Note the "Rear quarter trim panel and DVD assembly installation." section.

As far as playing DVDs on the front screen....

In this picture:
img_3651-jpg.1517484

It appears that your hand brake isn't set.

DVD selected, hand brake not set:
upload_2017-8-15_17-10-57.png

Hand brake set:
upload_2017-8-15_17-11-27.png

Press "Picture":
upload_2017-8-15_17-12-9.png

Press "OK":
upload_2017-8-15_17-12-40.png

i have a 2004 with the center console dvd changer, but the rear entertainment uses FM to play through the stereo.

is the rear quarter panel dvd the OEM system from the factory?

i have a 2004 with the center console dvd changer, but the rear entertainment uses FM to play through the stereo.

is the rear quarter panel dvd the OEM system from the factory?

Kinda...

My understanding (from the "PT" part number) is while they do carry a Toyota part number and was sold in the US as an OEM system, it was not manufactured by Toyota, and it was a "port installed" (not installed in Japan on the assembly line) option.

(Not quite the same integration into the factory system as the RSES in my old GX470, where the rear screen was tied into the front display and the in-console DVD player, but better than most of the aftermarket "dealer installed" DVD players of that vintage)

Last edited:
Can anyone give me the part number for the dvd/cd changer cartridge please? Pretty please with Toyota sugar on top.

Can anyone give me the part number for the dvd/cd changer cartridge please? Pretty please with Toyota sugar on top.
If you're talking about the 6 disc cartridge in the center console, my (06) Lexus cartridge is marked 86273-60060

Thanks JBL. I will have to check it out further. I definitely have the video cord installed to the front radio, so I will have to see if it goes all the way back to the third row seat. Its possible the original one stopped working and the original owner out the third row dvd player when they put in the after market one it came within when I bought it. I have tried the parking brake. It still does not enable the picture, but I will try again. Traveling for a few days but I will be back in touch on Friday. I really do appreciate all the help.

JBL you are definitely correct. Had my truck had a Rear entertainment system installed, the player would have been near the third row. As it turns out, I never had one installed as the cabling that was detailed in the instructions you sent was not installed. What I was seeing was the factor piece near the light which I would have needed to connect to. THanks again

Does anyone have a part number for the storage pocket that was in place of the 3rd row DVD?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom