$0.00 mod for your 62 was bigger better? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok guys so i was just tightening up some loose ends with the cruiser and sitting in the front seat listening to the radio and just pretending to be the customer when he or she first sat in my truck at the stealership. I thought wow what a beautifuly refined 60 and then it hit me "what the hell where they thinking making that shifter so damn big and ugly .......So i had a flux capacitor moment and got the tools.....:idea:

I first thing i did was take out the 2 allen keys one in front and one in the rear both just under the handle. then the guts to the handle(thumb part and spring) shot across the floor board and out on to the garage floor kinda funny when your by yourself.:doh:
DSC05580.jpg
DSC05581.JPG
DSC05582.jpg

Last edited:
Once the shifter handle was appart i measured the threaded end of the shift rod and came up with about 7/8 sticking out of the top and almost all of it was threaded. I broke out the dremmel and cut the tube off at a predetermined height by placing the handle near it and making a mark. This can be done with a tubing cutter like a plumber uses..mine was at work so dremmelworked fine. Then i measured up the 7/8 and made a mark on the shifter rod then cut it too.Then i matchched the machining on the top of the chrome tube that had been cut off to the shifter . Take the shifter handle and the piece that was cut off and see how they fit together and you will have to recreate it. I used a drum shaped grinding attachment to do the job ,to me this was the worst part and it only took me 5 min. I measured down for the depth i needed as shown by the piece that had been cut offand ground a nice line all the way around and stayed above that line checking every so often for fit.
DSC05586.jpg
DSC05587.jpg

My 60 has a 4 speed. But I think the same thing about the shifter my friend has in his 62. I love to see people make their own cool custom stuff on the cheap (or free is even better). I'd say your name suits you. Don't be surprised if this trick get borrowed by other 62 owners.

Once the handle fit I then got out my tap and die set and found the die that fit the old threads that had been cut off and began to thread the new rod. After the rod was threaded i then checked for fit once again and found the angle that i liked. I coppied the tube that was cut off by grinding 2 small recesses , 1 in the front and 1 in the rear opposite of eachother at the desired angle, these recesses will recieve the allen keys when reassembled. now just reasemble and play with that little guy :clap: P.S I think i am the first one to do this so theres my contribution to Humuddity. The wole process took 45 min start to finish MKGUYVR :beer::beer::beer: FROSTY SANDWICHES FOR EVERYBODY
DSC05588.jpg
DSC05593.jpg
DSC05597.jpg

Last edited:
One thing worth mentioning about performance, the original lenght was i believe for leverage, woman would have to drive this truck and the longer handle allowed for it to seem less like a truck and more like a car. But as the trucks have aged these things have goten sloppy and they shift with very little effort, but now mine has a more positve detent when shifting. Yes more effort is needed but not much more and the shift detents are eaisly detectable without even looking anymore. :clap:

Last edited:
Wow ,like telling a joke and hearing crickets, I guess I will consider myself among the very few who have a 62. With all the threads in here catering to the 60 one would think that the 62 guys would be interested in a no cost mod for their truck.At least they would have an opinion on this one , maybe a poll like -dont like maybe some sort of input would be good. By the way do you guys think this will be better for a tuffy center console install or will it not affect it? I am looking at those for a future custom project.

One thing worth mentioning about performance, the original lenght was i believe for leverage, woman would have to drive this truck and the longer handle allowed for it to seem less like a truck and more like a car. But as the trucks have aged these things have goten sloppy and they shift with very little effort, but now mine has a more positve detent when shifting. Yes more effort is needed but not much more and the shift detents are eaisly detectable without even looking anymore. :clap:

Mine was sloppy and loose until I replaced the bushings in the shifter, and now it has no slop at all. But I like the look of your mod. Looks sporty.

Sweet idea! How easy is it to reach? I manually shift mine all the time, and it looks like it might be a pain to drive with your hand on the shifter? I'd do it for aesthetics in a heartbeat tho.

Cool mod.:cool: Will prob do it while this biotch still has the auto in it.

Mmmm.... Frosty Sandwiches are the BEST!:beer:

Checking my Tap and die set..

What was the thread pitch? Did I miss it?

Sweet idea! How easy is it to reach? I manually shift mine all the time, and it looks like it might be a pain to drive with your hand on the shifter? I'd do it for aesthetics in a heartbeat tho.
actually i thought about that before i did it and it is pretty natural feeling to me ,its just your hand is lower...keep in mind i am 6'2" and have long arms but i guess everthing is relitive... so if you are shoter than your seat would be closer anyway. I am def. happy that tamahawk is gone though.:clap:

I'll go sit in her tommorow and see if it feels natural. If it does I'll be bustin out the tap and die. Thanks for adding to my workload you stupid jerk. :)

oh, I'm 6'4" and lankish arms so it should be a fit.

I'll go sit in her tommorow and see if it feels natural. If it does I'll be bustin out the tap and die. Thanks for adding to my workload you stupid jerk. :)

oh, I'm 6'4" and lankish arms so it should be a fit.
like you were busy.....browsing mud for another exscuse to spend some quality time with the mistress in the garage :steer: :flipoff2:

nice contribution Guy

Free mods rule :clap:

I cant wait to get to the pits next month:steer:

just dying to dent or break something its been since Oct:bang:

nice contribution Guy

Free mods rule :clap:

I cant wait to get to the pits next month:steer:

just dying to dent or break something its been since Oct:bang:
I should have my truck done in time to do some trail riding but going to set the right foot to medium for this run. would suck to have to sit out on her maiden run....the pits have claimed many parts ...want to give mine up one at a time $$$:grinpimp: plus its like a 2.5 hour ride home for me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom