$0.00 mod for your 62 was bigger better? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Interesting mod. I just refurbed my 62's shifter and replaced the factory poly bushings with bronze and that made a nice difference in how solid the shifter feels. I'm gonna have to sit in my 62 and see if I could go for it being a little shorter or not.

One thing I'm going to try to figure out is how to completely eliminate the bit of fore/aft slop that results from the vertical portions of the shifter assembly fitting onto the pivot rod. The fit isn't completely perfect so it allows for just a touch of slop. I think if I tack the handle portion of the linkage in place and drill through the vertical portion that goes down to the transmission and press in (or better yet, thread it and use a long screw) a pin, that'd make it good and solid.

Now HERE'S an idea: How about modding the handle from an 80's shifter to work with a 62's assembly? I've never taken a close look at an 80's shifter so I don't even know if it's possible. but if it is, that could be a cool mod too. Don't 80's have a pushbutton OD on/off switch on the shifter too? Be cool to find some function for that button :D

Last edited:
I like the looks of it, and I think it would make the dash easier to get to. Personaly I'll leave mine long. I like the access to shifting when wheeling. I am thinking of several times at katemcy when I was on a steep enough incline that shifting into reverse with the short shifter would have been tough.

Good work. Thanks for posting it.

Interesting mod. I just refurbed my 62's shifter and replaced the factory poly bushings with bronze and that made a nice difference in how solid the shifter feels. I'm gonna have to sit in my 62 and see if I could go for it being a little shorter or not.

One thing I'm going to try to figure out is how to completely eliminate the bit of fore/aft slop that results from the vertical portions of the shifter assembly fitting onto the pivot rod. The fit isn't completely perfect so it allows for just a touch of slop. I think if I tack the handle portion of the linkage in place and drill through the vertical portion that goes down to the transmission and press in (or better yet, thread it and use a long screw) a pin, that'd make it good and solid.

Now HERE'S an idea: How about modding the handle from an 80's shifter to work with a 62's assembly? I've never taken a close look at an 80's shifter so I don't even know if it's possible. but if it is, that could be a cool mod too. Don't 80's have a pushbutton OD on/off switch on the shifter too? Be cool to find some function for that button :D
just found your thread adressing the slop associated with these shifters. And i will check to see if my buddies 80 shifter will work on the 62 and if it does i think that the overdrive switch would work perfect for a E-locker in-out switch

I was getting excited at the beginning because I thought your were replacing your shifter handle with something else and I could beg for your oem handle......OH well....I'm stuck a little longer with some cobra headed looking shift knob that just sits on there.....
Otherwise - Cool mod....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom