FJ Crusier Lower Links (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.sonoransteel.com
A lot of folks bent the lower rear links on the DeSoto. This has been happening in the 4Runner world for a long time. Since 1996. I don't think it is as big of a problem for the 80's, but I really don't know as I have never had an 80.

Anyway, last night at the CSC meeting it was suggested that I look into this as it is more than likely that I can re-use most if not all of the custom machined parts that I have for the 96-02 4Runner links.

So if anyone in Phoenix wants to bring an FJ Cruiser over, we'll compare the 4Runner links and brackets to what you have and see if it will work.

Stock links on a 4Runner (96-02) are 1 1/8" OD (Outside Diameter) using HREW welded/seamed tube and have a 1/8" thick wall. My links are made from 1 1/5" OD, DOM (Drawn Over Mandrel) No welded seam and have 1/4" thick walls.

We have already went thought a lot of testing with Heims (Yuch!) and Rubicon Express rubber ends (1 trip through Martinez is all they can take) Daystar poly ends (Rough Ride) and have settled on dual Rubicon Express Super Flex joint ends as both ends can twist out and the nice factory ride is believe it our not, still there.

Anyway drop me a line if you have an FJ Cruiser, we'll look into it. At this point that is all this is, something to look into.

Thanks.

Steve@sonoransteel.com

http://www.sonoransteel.com/rubicon_express_links.html

I still need to update that page with the dual SF joint links. But those are all that goes out anymore.

Oh I guess some other company is already making little ramps for the front bracket. So that is already taken care of.

Steve -

When's a good time? I'll swing by with the FJC Staurday or weekday pm.

(Guess I'll need an adress or directions:doh: )

Last edited:
Awesome! Let us know how these turn out guys.

Cool deal, Steve's rear arms are stout, I have no doubt that they would support the trucks weight without bending. A quick call to C-Dan confirmed that the FJC, GX470 and latest 4runner use the same arms. For someone that didn't wheel hardcore, heavy duty arms that reused stock bushings would be a good upgrade, but may not be much cheaper to make?

Ruff Stuff is where I saw the lower rear arm bracket ramps, no picture yet; http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/ramped-brackets-p-140.html
They would be a pretty easy part to fab and would help in solving this problem.:D
FJC_bracket.jpg

Steve, I have a Clausing 12x36" metal lathe, so it you need a couple of prototype frame bracket spacers we could whip them out in a hurry.

Ok cool. In the past having a sleeve turned to fit a stock bushing was more expensive that the Rubicon Express Super Flex ends.

Address is on my site. I'll be home tomorrow, I took my ATV through Sunflower Mine today, boy is that different than a truck. I even had to winch on the last Obstacle in the creek bed and thought I was going to tip over many times.

http://www.sonoransteel.com/store_ordering_information.html

Stock ends would be fine too as I have a press, but those Rubicon Express SF Joints are pretty BLING!

Also where the heck do you find the icons on this board?

Tools R Us said:
Steve, I have a Clausing 12x36" metal lathe, so it you need a couple of prototype frame bracket spacers we could whip them out in a hurry.

Ok, in the past I saved an actual 4Runner bracket from a rear leaf swap. Obviously we can't do that this time, or maybe they have those in the collision catalog already. I would rather bring with me the actual bracket and not just measurements.

So we could put one in right then and there. I'll call Big-2 Monday, Although if the stuff is the same as 96-02 4Runner, I’m covered.

yup, the arms are definately a weak point - I saw two FJC's at Tim's Toyota with bent links last week. Both FJC's had been on the DeSoto run.

sschaefer3 said:
Ok cool. In the past having a sleeve turned to fit a stock bushing was more expensive that the Rubicon Express Super Flex ends.

Address is on my site. I'll be home tomorrow, I took my ATV through Sunflower Mine today, boy is that different than a truck. I even had to winch on the last Obstacle in the creek bed and thought I was going to tip over many times.

http://www.sonoransteel.com/store_ordering_information.html

Stock ends would be fine too as I have a press, but those Rubicon Express SF Joints are pretty BLING!

Also where the heck do you find the icons on this board?
Steve -

I'll try to pop by tomorrow (Monday) morning. I have tenative Jury duty - call at 11:00, so I'm free till then.

The icons can be found in the advanced menu - click the go advanced button below the quick reply screen.

Thanks -

I have the blue one from the meeting coming over at 10:00 am today so if you want to give me a call just in case he can't make it for some reason, but I think he'll be fine.

We just have to pull one link and compare it to the older 4Runner link I have pulled and compare the bracket to the older 4Runner bracket.

I even have a set of the 4Runner links with the RE joints we can try putting in the stock FJC bracket.

Cool - please post findings.

Thumbs Up! All of the old parts work perfect. The 96-02 4Runner brackets are identical as well as the link ends. The only real difference is that the FJC link is a hair bigger, which would make sence as it is quite a bit longer, but appears to have the same 1/8 (.120) wall thickness, just a very slightly larger tube.

I have all the specs, same to build as a 4Runner link all it needs is a bracket on the side. I'll post pics of the RE Joint on the FJC with the spacers and such a bit later. Gotta get some parts out today.

:flamingo::flamingo::flamingo::flamingo::flamingo:

Links and sliders

I'm interested in the link upgrade since this seems to be one of the first obvious weaknesses of the new FJs. Any projected pricing yet? I still have sliders on my list first but I'd like to know how many pennies to save. I'd really like to see someone come out with some Slee type sliders for the FJs similar to the ones they make for the 80's. I talked to Slee and they have too many projects on their plate to think about FJ products yet. They also think their price point many be to high for most of the market. Just thought I'd ask.

Thanks,
Norm

4Runner links are $400 a pair, that includes everything.

FJC links will require a small amount of more DOM tube and a bracket to be made and welded on each link.

Probably $450.00 for everything out the door ready to bolt on.

I also looked at that bracket and other than welding a ramp on, I don't really see any way of installing something. Also that bracket has a much better angle and does not hang down anywhere near as bad as the 96-02 4Runner link brackets. I think once people add a mild lift and some bigger tires, the mounts will no longer be an issue, but reguardless of height, you'll bend the stock .120 wall links.

I guess in the end if you want the ramps, the place listed above will be makeing them. It's their idea, they can run with it.

Hello Steve,

Greetings from Chile. Great stuff! This applies to 90 series Land Cruisers too!

Supposedly my SWB 90 series Prado is identical to a 3rd gen 4runner but on a shorter chassis and some other some small variations. I've copmpared them both underneath they seem to be identical, but would hate to order and find out about a small difference when the parts are all the way down here in the southern hemisphere.

Do you know the 4runner arms' lenght off the top of your head? I'd give you my measurements, but dont have my truck here with me now.

Thanks in advance!

Steven: Even 80 arms are bendable. They were more stout in 93-94 and in 95+ and the 100, the arms are smaller. I bent even a 93 arm.

Here's an EZ fix....I stole this from Beli's (now Phil's) 80. This mod is cheap, tested, and works. Angle iron welded onto the arm.

I did go a step further though and welded 3/8 plate onto the front of the arm mount...the spot we keep hitting and bending. No more.

http://shottscruisers.smugmug.com/gallery/958316

44068730-M.jpg

Yeah...... Steve Hunt did the angle iron thing many years ago on his 4Runner and we all though that was pretty ghetto.

It does work I'm sure, but I'll take a good old 1/4" DOM tube any day. No seams, no rust pockets, looks a million times cleaner. That factory tube is not the best stuff out there, it's just plain old HREW (seamed) tube. If it works for you great. Personally I'm not big on the angle iron idea.

I did use angle that way to beef up my 3/16" wall gas tank skid and t-case skid. So I have used in that manner, but for links which are critical parts, I'll stick with DOM.

A Stock 96-02 4Runner link is 21 1/16" center of the eye to center of the eye.

Suspension links are not something I personally would ever cut corners on, failure could result in some pretty tragic events. When I weld the links I make, I take my time, clear my head and lay down the bests welds I possibly can. A lot is riding on that link.

Rubicon Express Super Flex Joint Link bolted in to a 2007 FJ Crusier frame bracket.

FJC_Link_001.jpg

Lower Links.

Top is a 1998 Isuzu Rodeo

Middle is a 2007 FJ Crusier

Bottom is a 1996 4Runner

FJC_Link_002.jpg

Since all of the custom parts are the same, I'll order up some 1 1/2", 1/4" wall DOM tomorrow, order some more RE SF ends and build up a set of FJC lower links.

sschaefer3 said:
Yeah...... Steve Hunt did the angle iron thing many years ago on his 4Runner and we all though that was pretty ghetto.

It does work I'm sure, but I'll take a good old 1/4" DOM tube any day.

It'll be interesting to compare the cost of new arms vs the cost of ghetto angle iron ($20). Both work....and I don't look underneath trucks anyhow because they're always dirty and ugly any how.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom