Techster’s 1973 FJ55 buildup... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

treerootCO

Where are my keys?!
Threads
Website
home.comcast.net
The piggy runs but the engine/carb need work. She had been sitting for awhile. The quadrajet doesn't seem to have anything beyond the idle circuit. The engine is a V8 chevy and when idling you can hear a backfire/exhaust leak into the exhaust x-over/EGR. The rear window doesn't roll down (extra motor/gears included), needs new tires, and rusty along the rockers. So...she is absolutely beautiful :D

Denver, Colorado
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is killin me. I gotta find somethin' to get some fundage together. I'd spend my x-mas break to drive to Colorado and buy a piggy.

shoot todd, we'de even let ya cross the border to get in to colorado :D

I haven't driven it yet. I would trailer it to be safe.

Piggy still available and now under 10' of snow? Is there a snowball's chance in hell of getting it running right fairly quickly?

Any more pix?

yosemitesamiam at gmail dot com

Thanks

Sam

Piggy is not under 10' of snow and it did run, kinda mostly.

It's in a nice warm shop almost nekkid.

I bought it and had it shipped to Chicago.

It's undergoing a major makeover.:D

Awesome! Congrats, and keep us updated!

Piggy is not under 10' of snow and it did run, kinda mostly.

It's in a nice warm shop almost nekkid.

I bought it and had it shipped to Chicago.

It's undergoing a major makeover.:D

you going to have a pictorial thread of said makeover?

you going to have a pictorial thread of said makeover?

Yup. I'm going to go in today and get some pics of the disassembly.

I'm starting on my second Masters next Thursday and my work schedule is a bear this year, so it might be one of those really long threads.

Congrats on the new pig gumby :cheers: Whats the plan for the new pig ? Good luck on MS #2 ...will this new pig be the thesis ?

Thanks. The next MA Ed. is going to be in school administration. Not that I'd ever want to go into administration. I have way too much fun going to work every day. I'm not gonna screw that up by getting a desk job. :cool:

Plans for the new pig is to fix up the body and turn it into a dd replacement for the 80. I'd like to tow the war pig with it, so plans might be to stretch it. It needs to be reliable and not a step backwards from the 80 in terms of ride quality and the ability to get me to work every single day. To do that, I'm looking to put it on a more modern Toyota frame. After driving the wife's FJC, I might just try to find a wrecked one and put it on that. Wheelbase is the same and WMS to WMS is manageable. I'm keeping an eye out on the insurance auction sites. Any info from someone in the business of buying from those auctions would surely be appreciated. There's one in Jersey right now with 800 miles on it.

I thought I'd go ahead and start documenting the process. Figured I might just clean up this thread and move it out of classifieds.

So here goes...

Last edited:
I was all set to drive out to CO to pick up the pig. I was really looking forward to wheeling with some CO folks out there including TreeRoot, Romer and Ige. A friend talked some sense into me and got me to check into having it shipped. Some searching in the new Mudship section got me the idea of using uship I put in a bid and two days later I choose from three guys who met my bid. I can't recommend Jay or uship enough. The pig rode in covered comfort and arrived at the shop on the 6th of Jan.
delivery day.jpg

I spent the rest of the day getting it running, but never did get it to driving condition. The distributer wasn't advancing.

I ran the numbers on the engine. It's a 283, built on Nov 21st, 1964 in Flint, MI. It was in a 2 speed auto Chevelle. 2 bbl carb and 195hp gross. Some PO had put a 4 bbl intake and a quadrajet on it.

I got it running enough to drive it on the hoist and started to disassemble it.
nekkidpig.jpg
dash.jpg
bedarea.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom