Sat. Anyone? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

smittycrusher

"Hey big guy, you a golfer" - Roger Dorn
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.morganstanleyfa.com
So I am new at this whole wrenching on my own rig thing. I am very excited about 1. Getting to know my crusher enabling me to fix things when they break (esp. when I am out far away from civilation) and 2. Saving a ton of money so that I can spend more on equipment/armor.

So here is my question. Please excuse the simplicity of the task. Is anyone in Socal changing their brake pads tomorrow? I ask because I have brake pads for my rig and would love to watch someone else while I do mine for the first time. I am waiting for my OEM Service Manual to come and will not have it by this weekend.

Another question. If I do not change my pads on sat. I would like to maybe do some light wheeling with my stock (285's) locked LX 450. Anyone interested in showing a newbie some knowledge on the trail?

Thanks,
Scott

You'll be amazed at how easy it is -- I was. I think it's documented here on mud. If you can't find a write up, PM me for my cell number. Give me a call and I'll talk you through it once you've got a wheel off.

Why don't you photograph the whole process and do a write-up, then it will be there for others.

You will find info doing a search, but an FAQ style write-up has not yet been done.

I"ll be changing mine in the next few weeks, front and rear if you feel like waiting. I"m in LA. It'll be my first change as well.

Sam

PKP80 said:
I"ll be changing mine in the next few weeks, front and rear if you feel like waiting. I"m in LA. It'll be my first change as well.

Sam

I think I am actually going to make a day trip to Calico tom. so I would love to drive up when you are doing yours.

Smit

Feel like driving up to the Sacramento area?
What do you mean "too far"?

:D

As long as it doesn't rain, I'll be working on my ebrake, adding wheel spacers and a bunch of other miscellaneous stuff...

brake pads are VERY easy, FWIW.

Do you have a FSM?

I am trying to get my hands on a FSM for either 97 LX450 or 93 Cruiser. Sacramento (although I love the area and would love to see the "misc. stuff" in addition to the brakes is too far)!! Thanks though.
Smit

Someone write me a note to remind me to post pics of the appropriate page of the FSM for brakes...

I'll try to remember to post later when I get home.
Are you doing front and rear pads?

You have a torque wrench, right?
You'll need grease for the rear caliper pins.

Some brake cleaner might come in handy.

Once you're done you'll wonder why anyone would pay $200 per axle for a brake job from the stealership...

Have fun!

Smittycrusher I’m going to Calico tomorrow as well and just received my FSM for my 94. I will bring it with me and you can look at it. If needed I can fax you a copy of the pages outlining the front bake service when we get back. See you tomorrow.

Tare

I do not have a torque wrench but was planning on getting one (just don't really know the specifics on which wrench or what I am looking for when it comes to the wrench) I would love to see that page from the FSM. I am doing both front and rear. I can't wait to see how easy it really is so that I can allocate more future funds toward OME, ARB, Super Swamper, Hanna, Slee, MAF, etc.

Last edited:
You'll want a torque wrench that goes up to at least 100 ft/lbs.

2 would be nice -- one small one and one large one, but that can be a bit spendy if you get good torque wrenches.

I got mine from Sears. 1 yr. warranty on torque wrenches. Funny thing...mine seem to bust at about 11 months...

hmmmm....isn't that odd?

Romer said:
but an FAQ style write-up has not yet been done.

I had to go check to make sure you were right about that.:doh:

Man what an oversight on my part, I've only done that now once on my truck and two others but never even thought about writing it up cause I felt certain it was already in the FAQ.:whoops:

FSM Front Brakes (3 pages)
PICT0006 (Large).JPG
PICT0007 (Large).JPG
PICT0008 2(Large).JPG

Rear Brakes (3 pages)
PICT0009 (Large).JPG
PICT0010 (Large).JPG

Last edited:
last page
PICT0011 2(Large).JPG

Last edited:
Just follow the steps -- you should be fine. The fronts are easier than the rear simply because you don't need to unbolt the calipers for the front brakes. A 1 :banana: job...if that.

NorCalDoug said:
Just follow the steps -- you should be fine. The fronts are easier than the rear simply because you don't need to unbolt the calipers for the front brakes. A 1 :banana: job...if that.

I agree on that. The fronts are alot easier to get the pads in once you have the caliper retracted. It took me a bit of time to get the rear pads to slip in, just be patient. It is easier to push in the caliper in the back though.

Here are some things I do/learned. Don't forget to remove some brake fluid from your resevoir and keep the cap off. I use a turkey baster. Do one side at a time so you don't exspell the other caliper piston. Pushing in the caliper pistons can be a bit tough (for me anyway). I alway try to use something soft ie piece of wood to avoid scoring the piston. I have used a large c-clamp, channel locks and other 'pry' like tools to push the pistons back in. The rears are easy since the caliper is removed, 1/2" wood strip and a c-clamp. The fronts are harder to access.

Here is a question, why are the rear calipers bolted with a greased pin? Are you suppose to regrease it? It doesn't mention that in the FSM when outlining rear pad replacement.

Ross

I just did all of mine a week ago. Nothing to it, just slip pads out and put new ones in.

I didn't see it mentioned here (apologies if I missed it), but be sure to get the 100 series pads from Cdan. They are a drop-in replacement that stop you a little better and last a whole lot longer. They are a bit larger, so you won't use the shims with the 100 pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom