Re-painting Rear Mudflaps lettering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mmw68

CruiserCrap.com - pimping crap for your cruiser!
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
store.cruisercrap.com
Some one was talking about this the other day...can't find that post.

Well here is what I did, I just used a paint pen from the local crafts store, I cleaned up the flap, and use a little acidtone, (pen stripe remover), to get the old paint off, then put two coats of new paint on.

It look good..from 3 feet away, if your anal, you can see the paint strokes :D

I'll let you know in a few weekd how it's holding up to the weather.
mudflaps.jpg
mudflap2.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, that's a cool idea!

It looks not only a good idea, but also good job !

Oh, Min Seok

Painted the lettering on my mudflaps this weekend. Used Sharpie brand oil based white paint pen.

I need advice on what sealant to use between the mud flaps and the body.

There was a black, pliable type caulk there from the factory. I would use black silicone or Permatex but I have rear here that silicone can cause rust.

Thoughts?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The white lettering looks good.

I used a paint pen on mine with similar good results. Beware that spilled gasoline when refueling will take off the letters and/or soften the paint on the right rear flap. Now, if I spill gas, I don't try to wipe the flap dry - I just let it air dry.

I used a non-hardening windshield adhesive strip on the flaps to replace the factory goop. This is not caulk, but rather a gooey rubber strip that you use to glue windows into a vehicle (so to speak). I think '3M Ribbon sealer' is what it is.

I used a paint pen on mine with similar good results. Beware that spilled gasoline when refueling will take off the letters and/or soften the paint on the right rear flap. Now, if I spill gas, I don't try to wipe the flap dry - I just let it air dry.

I used a non-hardening windshield adhesive strip on the flaps to replace the factory goop. This is not caulk, but rather a gooey rubber strip that you use to glue windows into a vehicle (so to speak). I think '3M Ribbon sealer' is what it is.

Good to know. I'll look into the 3m product.

I should have taken before pictures, but they basically looked the same with 1/2 the paint gone.

Your truck looks really sharp and the mudflaps look great.

As an aside, I would remove the rubber drain plug (seen in the photo above right behind the mud flap) to let the fenders fully drain when water gets in. I have never seen/owned an FJ60 that didn't leak into the pass. quarter panel (although they must exist). When I removed the plug from my '87, about a gallon of water poured out.

Thanks.

I went to NAPA and they have 3M Silicone sealer which appears to be safe for painted surfaces and pliable. May try that.

As for the drain plugs, I'll take a look at them. Thanks for the info!

I painted mine also, but used a sign paint called "One Shot". A small can costs about $15.

One Shot goes on nice and smooths out really well. It's very tough as it's made to letter exterior signs, and many pinstrippers use it.

I buy it at local auto paint store.

Sorry no pictures, but I painted mine several years ago and they have held up great.

Painted the lettering on my mudflaps this weekend. Used Sharpie brand oil based white paint pen.

I need advice on what sealant to use between the mud flaps and the body.

There was a black, pliable type caulk there from the factory. I would use black silicone or Permatex but I have rear here that silicone can cause rust.

Thoughts?

View attachment 1240353

View attachment 1240354

Looks great. What did you use to clean the flap before painting? They look shiny and new.

Cleaned them with dilute simple green soap, then sprayed the flaps with armor all, then wiped the letters off with 90% rubbing alcohol and let them dry.

3 coats with the paint pen.

We'll see how it holds up.

It only took me 9 years to get around to doing mine!

Wow - Iam glad my 10+ year post is still useful! ;)

The main question for you is....How have the painted mud flaps held up after all this time?

Itching my brain because I need to know:
Can I use this delicate procedure to repaint my cupholder?

I used a white Testors paint pen and did mine 2 years ago (and have spilled gasoline on them on the right side) and they still look great. I wash the truck and scrub the mudflaps with a sponge and tire cleaner. When and if the paint starts to fall off, it's not a big deal to repaint them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom