Hotter at 100KPH (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im not sure if my truck is reading right or maybe its the mods I have done. A little history on the truck, I bought an HJ60 completely stock with 324k on it and I didnt have a chance to get it out on the highway before I did the mods. With only 2k under my belt with this truck I did an SPOA with brand new springs, 35 Pro Comp Xterrains, Outlaw rims, Aussie locker in the rear, Marlin hy-steer and a Flow master 40 series 2.5". The RPM's at 100kph are around 2100-2200 in 5th. I do have the stock 3.70's and will be going with 4.10 soon.

The thing that puzzles me is that at 90kph or less the guage reads 1/2. At idle it reads 1/4. At 100kph it reads 3/4-7/8 before the red. I did change the fan clutch and was going to change the thermostat but was wondering if anyone else with the same setup having the same problems?

Im thinking its the Flowmaster? Higher ETG's?

Thanks

Paul
Resize of Resize of P8210633.jpg
Resize of Re-exposure of P8190560.JPG

Radiator flush and new cap 1st if you havent done it.

I thought a free flowing exhaut gets more of the hot gases out of the engine quicker.

If it was the thermostat they usually heat up pretty quick.

Do you always wheel with pink jeeps?:D

auto or standard?

I think your revs are way to low and your egt is getting to hot at highway speeds.

if you don't have a pyrometer and you are running those big tires you will over heat the engine(egt).

200 bucks gets you the pyro, plus for a nother 100 get a second water temp gauge. The factory ones are not all that accurate.

SO to recap, I think your getting way too hot exhaust gas temps(EGT) and it raising your water temp up on the highway.

I could be wrong thou, my two cents, buy a pyro.

I've just started getting the same kind of thing with my 2H. Temp gauge used to stay at 1/4 to 1/2 all the time and now likes to climb up to 3/4 anytime I'm in 4th or 5th gear and above 80KMH for any amount of time. As soon as my speed is down below 80KMH the temp drops quickly. I was going to start with a new t-stat flushing the cooling system. What's the best way to see if the fan clutch is working? I guess I might as well go over everything while I'm at it.

Diesel Dude- I'm not very mechanically inclined, how does the diaphragm on the injector pump affect the cooling system?

John

Where can I get a Pyrometer in Ont? NAPA? Ill Start looking today.

Roso, Ill wheel with anyone who wants to wheel. Cruisers are few and far between now a days. :beer:

Keep in mind it doesnt take much of the skinny pedal to get to 100kph but the more I do push it the hotter it gets.

If it is higher exhaust temps how do I bring them down? Straight pipe?

clean your rad - spray water from the back side to flush out bugs, mud, and dirt that migh have accumulated there - don't use too high a pressure. That might help somewhat.

Diesel Dude said:
Any time you have a lean running engine you get very high egt's. A pyro would definetly be a good purchase because I would tell you if its egts or coolant temperature which is a good thing to know.
cheers

Sorry I disagree with that statement. Thats gas engine theory. Not diesel.

less fuel is less heat in a diesel. More fuel is more heat. If you are running lean, you are putting in less fuel and will have less power. Its not a fuel mixture thing like a gasser.

Try a search on pyro's here. Been loads of talk about them. Your 24v right?

There has been talk about that too. Most pyro's are 12, but I think thats for the light.

Autometer has a decent pyro, can be had anywhere autometer gauges are sold, just about any performance shop. They sell a kit, with a clamp. drill a hole in the exhaust and hose clamp it on. Very effective.

Your fan is not important on the highway. as some inquired above. If you are on the highway and going along the airflow thru the rad will be sufficent. your fan is used mostly at idle and slow speeds. At 100kph your getting plenty of air accross it.

I presume you are? nothing blocking the rad eh?

You could have a cooling problem. But it isn't going to hurt getting that pyro, esp with those tires.

I don't have a 2h but with a 3b I would venture to say that at that point with big meats and a cruiser with aero dynamics of a brick, etc your hitting the spot where you can no longer produce power and you are just creating heat. I see it at speeds on my BJ. Forget all the radiator flushing t stat swaps, etc. Put a pyro on there and a real temp gauge to see where you are and drive accordingly.

Hi dude .. not much 2H engine here .. I'm glad to see you here.

I thought you try to push much more diesel in your 2H that it can burn. Maybe your diesel pump are to open, or you need to check your inyectors.

I supose that your have good compresion, good oil press, clean air cleaner bla bla bla .. Also I need to say, 35" is to much tire to a 2H stock engine with 3.70.

4.56 with your 35" and you go fine .. :)

I agree with brownbear in that EXCESS fuel leads to high EGT. Too little fuel actually lowers them.

-kevin

diesel dude, what happened? all your posts are gone?

beast did you find a pyro?

oh sure he was!

I would make him too. Thats not cool posting on your account. Get him his own!

now don't get in a too big of fight.

did you and wayne hook up for a test drive?????

Ya I took wayne for a spin yesterday. Youll have to get him to post what he thought.

I did order a pyro and its comming in on Tuesday. I guess Ill do a bit of searching to find the best place to install it.

I dont have too much black smoke only up hills or under hard accelerating.

$225 + Tax for a Stewart Warner with the street probe. Auto meter wanted $330+.

Thanks all

Paul

Guess you guys couldnt see the sticker in the other pics so I thought I would post more.... :D
P8200619.JPG
Resize of P8190575.JPG
Resize of P8200627.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom