Tranny poppin out......confirmation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJBen

SILVER Star
Threads
No this isn't a catholic thread... ;)

Noticed this on some wheeling trips...now at home as well...

First time, 4 Low, 1st gear, going downhill POP vehicle in neutral...ok I musta not got it in gear...little ways further...POP tranny out again...OK...(pause) getting out to see if the "Advanced Adapter" fairy had suddenly installed the new Orion Transmission....NOPE...WTF...didn't happen again...

Another trip same thing...engine slowing the vehicle down...POP YAY!!! I know what Orion people are going through!

At a jobsite today...long driveway, downhill decent...first gear POP into neutral... :frown: not a happy camper...The cruiser gods are bitter I haven't fixed the door my wife smashed...hmmm

Now is this caused by bad synchro's? Causing a tranny rebuild??? Cause I'm not really down with that LOL. If it is, this will just have to sit till I get $$$ the benjamin's to replace the tranny with H41 or H55F (HA HA)...

thoughts? And if that were the case, would you rather put an H41 or H55F in? H55 will be WAY more $$$$.

Is this my tranny's fate??? (special points if you know what movie this is from)
vii-fing.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
H55F with a set of Marks off road low range gear set would be pretty sweet...

Course, you could just install a H41 and an Orion.... ;)

Good luck!

-Steve

Ya I think that bad synchros and or sleeve could be a culprit. They wouldn't be that bad to replace though. I would do all the bearings while I was at it. But still it's not that much.

Ok after looking around it is that much :eek: Prob bout $500 for all the parts and kit. Dayum you are on your way to that H55f you wanted.

Nevermind, hold out and go for the gold.

The problem would depend on what kind of tranny you have, but in general it is due to excess wear on the components. The easy-cheesy fix is to rig a rope or chain to hold the shift lever in position. While this is cumbersome it can work for a long time.

is the movie monty pythons the meaning of life?

Ben
This same thing was happening to me on my 5/75 FJ-40 and eventually my tranny locked up. It took a while to figure out but the fix was simple and cheap. Some bonehead previous owner (seems like that was all my truck had) had taken the top plate off the tranny and when he replaced it, failed to install the detent springs that keep all the parts in place, relative to each other. A photo of the trail repair with my truck under a tarp during a huge storm made our club's calendar this year. The guys made some new springs from wire that got me home. (thanks fellows) I replaced them with faactory springs and I've never had the problem again.
So check for the missing springs and/or balls first before you get a new tranny.
Good luck.
Peter

You can try the detent springs but I doubt that is the cause of the problem. Does this popping out of gear happen in first only? Try using second on the same decent that caused the problem in first. if things are cool with second then I bet you have bad stuff going on with the synchros etc in first. It may be time to look for a new tranny...

Max

It only seems to pop outta first...not sure on 3rd....but I know second doesn't pop out. :( Sounds craptastic to me...

What are your feelings on 2F, 35's for tranny's...

H55F worth it?

I could get into a H41/Orion for the cost of the H55F/driveshafts...and I'd still need a t-case I would be geared twice as low but no overdrive. Would like to start making longer trips in the 55. I run 65ish about 2,800 RPMs.

H41/Orion/4.11's = 81:1
H55f/split/4.11's = 46:1

would 46:1 be enough for moderate wheeling?

Exactly what mine was doing - I found broken a detent spring. Simple to replace & no problems since.

FJBen said:
It only seems to pop outta first...not sure on 3rd....but I know second doesn't pop out. :( Sounds craptastic to me...

What are your feelings on 2F, 35's for tranny's...

H55F worth it?

I could get into a H41/Orion for the cost of the H55F/driveshafts...and I'd still need a t-case I would be geared twice as low but no overdrive. Would like to start making longer trips in the 55. I run 65ish about 2,800 RPMs.

H41/Orion/4.11's = 81:1
H55f/split/4.11's = 46:1

would 46:1 be enough for moderate wheeling?

Thats a real tough one! I drive a FJ40 with 4.88's/H41/Orion and enjoy a crawl of like 98:1. I have driven a FJ60 on the road with 4.11's/split case/H55F and think it is a great combo for all round use. Lower first and some overdrive. But the crawl is not really that low and the overdrive is not huge either. It is also somewhat expensive. It also depends on the size tires you are running. I would match the gears in the axles to the size tires anyways: you need to match these two things for the correct stock(ish) powerband for the correct RPM's for genral use and hills etc. I got bigger tires and then noticed the better performance with the swapped 4.88's over the stock 4.11's. In the end I think it boils down to what you want most out of the Land Cruiser: real low trail crawl or all round performance with dececnt mileage and street use. It's really hard to serve both of these "masters" at the same time...

Max

PS: is that 55 of yours formally Todd's Piggy???

sheesh..still a tough call...I like the idea of the overdrive if not much...a few hundred RPM's would greatly help the 2F from 65 up. But I really like the 80:1 crawl ratio.

I have heard a few rumors of the H55F to Orion...now that would be sweet. 4 Low 5th gear? :grinpimp: I plan on running some trails further away next year so there may be a bit more highway. This is no means an extreme rig, but I would like it built up nicely.

Able to comfortable (engine wise) pull the interstate to get me to trails and enough crawl ratio so I don't have to smash over everything...

That said, the H41, orion would easily fill that need cheaper.

As winter is approaching, we don't get much (if any) wheeling in at all in the winter so waiting for a mythical H55f/orion is a possibility. Cause just adding the H55f would put my crawl ratio at almost 46:1 which is definitely better than what I have.

Nope, thats not Todd's pig. Mine was Dan Kunz old cruiser, then Ken's who was in idaho but now somewhere east. It was plain white before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom