Caster correction bushing install follow up report (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlieS

GOLD Star
Threads
I had my bushings pressed into the front arms today. Installed them after work. It was incredibly easy - 30 minutes tops.

It was so much easier than removing them, believe it or not.

The machine shop got it exactly right, even never having done it before. They do a lot of "stock car" stuff, so the guy said they were used to pushing in poly bushings. Only one snafu and that was recified with a little common sense (center to center measurement) and a couple of hand drawn pictures.

Thanks for all the tips, threads, FAQs and assistance you gave me.

I took it for a long test drive and all of the wierd wandering is gone from the steering. Definitely a msut do, even with the medium OME lift like I did.

Looking at the front sway bars, I think I'll make up some spacers. They don't touch, but there isn't alot of extra room now.

Just in time for an alignment tomorrow and my trip Friday...

Thanks!

Charlie

Got an alignment today - post suspension change and OME caster correction bushings.

Stock '96 with med OME (860/851 and caster correction bushings) no heavy bumper (yet).

Here are the readings after the caster correction bushings:

Caster:
Left 1.7 degrees
Right 2.0 degrees
(range is 2.0 to 4.0 degrees)

Camber:
Left 0.0 degrees
Right 0.2 degrees
(range is 0.3 to 1.8 degrees)

Toe:
Left 0.12 degrees
Right 0.10 degrees
(range is 0.05 - 0.15 degrees)

Note to newbies - only front toe is adjustable. This has been said here in other places. Just wanted to point it out.

Although, they did the printout and the rear toe on my rig makes me wonder why it is so off.

Left toe 0.24 degrees
Right toe -0.03 degrees

Seems like an awful big difference...

Last edited:
My guess is you have some rear link bushings or mounts
that are not centered/ wore out, I would split the difference to L&R so you have 0.12 degrees on either side.
Did they give you a center to center measurements of F&R axles at L&R sides. split the difference between those two measurements F&R-L and F&R-R.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I got that infromation from them?

I did get the total toe front (0.22 degrees), total toe rear (0.21 degrees), the steer ahead (0.01 degrees) and the thrust angle (0.13 degrees).

Are any of these useful values to know?

Thanks,
Charlie

That’s the same info you have above
The amount it is off is really insignificant
for a 4x4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom