The roof is Line-X'd !! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Took me a while, but I've finally put the roofrack removal/Line-X project to bed. Done done, done!! Ok, here's the low down...

I think there are other threads on the roofrack removal, so I'll breeze right by that detail. Suffice to say my rack came off without any incident. The biggest chore was removing the adhesive below the centre pcs. Nothing Goo-Gone could not handle.

As a final preparation before Line-X was applied I bought some allen head set screws and some aircraft grade form-a-gasket. I applied the gasket product to the screws, and let sit for a few minutes, and then screwed them into the holes in the roof. Once complete I added a layer of the form-a-gasket to envelope the top of the allen screw, creating a clean level surface with the roof.

Today at 9AM I took my 80 to the local Line-X boys. The process as I found is very labour intensive, with 1-3 men working right thru for 5.5 hrs.

Here is how the various steps played out :

1 ) First they got up on a ladder and mapped out the areas they would tape off with a wax pencil. Using a yard stick to ensure uniformity.

2 ) Taking the thin tape with metal wire embedded in it, they started to mask off the areas, creating really nice curves as they went, rather than sharp edges.

3 ) With sand paper, they carefully removed the clearcoat for proper Line-X adhesion.

4 ) Using a roll of plain brown paper they masked off the roof areas which would not be sprayed.

5 ) To envelope the vehicle they covered the 80 from the roof to floor in clear plastic.

6 ) Next they wiped the critical areas to be sprayed to ensure no dust or grit remained.

7 ) Finally the area was closed off and the Line-X product was applied liberally.

8 ) At 190 degrees the product dries almost instantly. Once applied they got up on ladders again, and started the process of pulling off the wire-embedded tape. This wire creates a clean cut thru the rather thick Line-X areas, providing a professionally finished edge.

Once we were done this I was told that it would be perfectly safe to hit a car wash, as the product is immediately good to go. I did just that, and it cleaned up really nicely as the pics will attest.

The following posts will be a myriad of pictures. I will not comment on them individually now, as I have to get ready for work shortly. But any questions will be answered gladly once I am at base tonite.

I think they did a great job. It was a far cry from the pickup beds they are used to doing. They appropriately slowed down and moved thru the stages with attention to detail, and care.

I am sooooo happy to finally have this project wrapped up!!

Peace,

TY

PS: Bear with me for a moment while I quickly reserve the next few post positions for pictures...

Pics-1
P5040202.JPG
P5040206.JPG
P5040207.JPG

Last edited:
Pics-2
P5040209.JPG
P5040215.JPG
P5040217.JPG

Last edited:
Pics-3
P5040221.JPG
P5040227.JPG
P5040229.JPG

Last edited:
Pics-4
P5040231.JPG
P5040235.JPG
P5040250.JPG

Last edited:
Reserved :flipoff2:

Last edited:
sounds sweet! nice idea eagerly awaiting pics

Damn it looks sweet too definitaley like it nice job tyler

Last edited:
aaa
bbb
ccc
ddd
eee

grade for picture posting ability

FFF :flipoff2:

Now that they are up, Awesome pics

Last edited:
Very nice... well done! :cheers:

That turned out much better than what I had imagined......Just couldn't picture it for some reason, thought you would have a few square or round spots of line-x...

But those curves and pattern REALLY came out well......

How did you design that, or was it their idea?

Did the blue racing stripes applied to face and head supply the inspiration?

Cruisin'Carolina said:
That turned out much better than what I had imagined......Just couldn't picture it for some reason, thought you would have a few square or round spots of line-x...

But those curves and pattern REALLY came out well......

How did you design that, or was it their idea?

Did the blue racing stripes applied to face and head supply the inspiration?

You won't believe me ..... :D

This morning when I headed out I took a few odd items. One of them included a floor to ceiling mobile my Sister gave me last year. It is made up of heavy vinyl concentric rings that are joined at 6" increments by nylon string. I told the guys about it, and suggested they cut off whatever rings would provide the best curves for the job. The one stipulation was that they NOT use any corners. I wanted the design to flow. The cut off 3 sections of the mobile and went to work. The one fellow was quite confident that I would be happy with the results...to trust him. I did just that and walked out and sat in the sun for a while. They called me in once the first section was taped off, and I beamed a big smile....NICCCCCCCE, I said! From then forward, I knew it was going to work out just fine...

TY

Cruisin'Carolina said:

Yeah I almost posted up saying it would look stupid, don't ruin your truck but man, it looks great!
Good work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom