Warning: cig lighter power outlet potential hazard! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
guys, some of you have had the cig lighter fusible link conk out if you put too much a draw on the thing as a power outlet (or if you push in a real lighter too long in there or if it gets stuck, which is why there is a link there I assume). If so, you probably read someplace that one can simply bypass the melted fusible link by removing the insulated washer between the 2 link connectors. If so you will need to unscrew the nut and likely will have had the whole assembly fall apart on you.
Alternatively, you may have taken the thing apart for the fun of it. (If so, please go get yourself a real life... :D )

First it should be said that the safer thing to do if your link melted is to get a new OEM lighter receptacle assembly from Dan. That way you are safe. Second best would be to get a piece of fusible link from NAPA and replace that. Problem would be to get the right one.
Third you can bypass the link. I would suggest not to run a lighter or a heavy draw device if you do this cuz you are now only protected by the distant fuse.

Any way, if you do take the thing apart, I would suggest to be careful when you put it back together. I was looking at the thing apart, and the design is pretty good with various indexes, notches, square holes and the like. There is, however, one possible dangerous way to put it back together incorrectly IIRC. There are 2 metal springy prongs extending from the end of the receptacle towards the opening. These can be put back indexed in 2 different ways I think. The incorrect one is when the prongs are aligned with the solid body of the receptacle. IIRC this correctly, it seems to me that if you insert a plug the prongs will spread out and could then short against the body of the receptacle, depending how fat your plug is. Instead, there are 2 big cutouts in the body of the receptacle and these are where the prongs should go to ensure that there is no contact between the prongs and the body.

Now I'm writing this from memory and I don't feel like taking the dash out again, but IIRC, you could have a short in your dash if you don't put the thing back together properly. Somebody correct me if this is not true.

e9999 said:
you could have a short in your dash if you don't put the thing back together properly.

Generally speaking, isn't that the case with most electrical connections? :doh: :ban: :flipoff2:

Junk said:
Generally speaking, isn't that the case with most electrical connections? :doh: :ban: %$#@^

nope!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom