2 low in 2 minutes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Cut out stop for 2wd low range. Hope it does'n't pop out of 4 low on me now.
2lowp2.jpg
2lowp1.jpg

i took the bracket off completly, doesnt pop out of gear and works just fine. i actually found myself wheeling in 2WD cause i forgot i was in 2LO

Thought about that but I wasn't sure if the bracket supported anything or whatever. Guess I should have posted up first and saved myself the trouble of putting it back on. Then thread would have been 2 low in 1 minute. :doh:

I think the bracket gives a bit more rigidity to the actual shifter stud, but whether that's necessary or not I don't know. On my '81 I have yet to get ANY linkage under there, with a SM420 tranny nothing bolts up ofcourse and now the t/c is 6.5" further back (AA adapter)...you'd think a few welded in 6.5" spacers would work, but not quite that easy it doesn't appear.

We had a '72 40 which we figured out that trick with and could wheel in 2-low, which works quite well.

none of my cruisers have the bracket...only the 40's been a problem, but there's a post on what that was.

you now also have the advantage of 2wd neutral.....by far the safest position for any flat towing (either recovery related, or on a towbar)

4wd neutral means the front output is connected, even tho the t-case is not driven thru the tranny....any rotation of the rear shaft transfers thru to the front shaft/axle because of this...with 2wd neutral, no power transfer occurs and only the rear output bearing and shaft are spinning.

Why is 2LO not stock? Is there a valid reason from and engineering standpoint?

Cool mod though, really comes in handy and is so simple.

haystax said:
Why is 2LO not stock? Is there a valid reason from and engineering standpoint?

Cool mod though, really comes in handy and is so simple.

because humans are not smart enough to understand torque multiplying principles and would end up shearing off some rear-end parts when in 2-low....

either that, or they'll forever wonder why their top speed is 30mph....lol

woody said:

good call.....ha ha

malphrus

Man I had no idea there were so many advantages to it. I got the idea from some Canucks at Fall Gathering when they had to winch me sideways. I had to unlock the hubs and leave it in 4 low to slide the ass around.
I'll have to thank 'em again when I see 'em.

froggy said:
My 71 got 2LO stock, with the vacuum transfer case :flipoff2:

Properly installed and not modified acctuation pieces will not allow this...

When pulling the under-dash lever forward, there is a pin that catches the cable, and pulls it out so that the front drive is engaged.

:)

Properly installed and not modified acctuation pieces will not allow this...

When pulling the under-dash lever forward, there is a pin that catches the cable, and pulls it out so that the front drive is engaged.

I don't have a lever, I have a small black switch with 'FD' written on it.
Is it the same thing? Do you have a picture of the pin? Thanks :beer:

froggy said:
I don't have a lever, I have a small black switch with 'FD' written on it.
Is it the same thing? Do you have a picture of the pin? Thanks :beer:

Steve's right. That black knob that engages the front axle was originally pulled out along with the dashboard shifter handle by a pretty large pin (mine's a rollpin but dunno if it's OEM).
However, you are right that without the pin the front axle is selective independent of the hi-lo range lever so the choices are 2wd-hi, 2wd-lo, 4wd-hi, 4wd-lo, and nuetral/auxillary.

2wd-low is great. You can grind along on good traction without the hard steering or worries about broken parts and seizure in tight turns. With a front hitch it makes moving trailers or pushing rocks and stuff around a whole new better experience.

woody said:

Your top end in low range is 30? I find that hard to believe, when I'm sailing along at 18 tops! You must have some mods then...

on my 69' bone stock there is no pin for the 'FD' they are independent of one another. And i run in 2 lo all the time.... like driving down the 405 freway, when a top speed of 6 mph is needed or on the trail when i want to turn easy, or even at pismo when i get stuck.

I still can't find where this pin can be. There is only a steel wire on the back of the knob. There is no hole. The steel wire goes directly to the vacuum switch. A picture could help a lot.... :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom