ROTW: The Yak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.hardwickhousewares.com
It gives me great pleasure to introduce the Yak. Second only to my girls, she's my baby.

This truck started life as a California spec 1987 FJ-60. It's had many owners since.

I found it in AutoTrader. It was listed by a broker who was selling it for a private party. I was unemployed. My trusty old Chevy Lumina was totaled by a confused little old lady. I needed a car. I decided it was time to have a car that I actually want to drive, rather than one that is dictated to me by necessity. Then there was the problem of finding something I like. New cars these days are ugly.

I was coming from the FJ-40 community, not really wanting a 60. Couldn't find a 40 that I could rely on. I started looking at 60s, thinking since they are a little newer that I could find one I could drive every day.

I drove it. I liked it. I haggled over the price. I took it home a few days later. The alternator and smog pump quit on the first day.

Based on what I have discovered on my own and info from the mechanic that used to work on it, the old Yak has a spotty history. It's been wheeled and repaired. The PO bought it on ebay and got shafted. Someone had fixed the body, slapped on a ghetto paint job (pisses me off every day), and replaced the recently rebuilt engine (the reason I bought it) with one of unknown origin. Of course none of this was discovered until after I had the truck in my possession for some time.

Instead of doing the honorable thing and taking the hit, the PO decided to pass the savings on to the next guy, me. I spent two years and $3K trying to right the many wrongs of the mystery engine before I decided that was more than enough and I would just drive it until it quit. Shortly thereafter the engine swap bug bit.

I looked at the usual options and settled on a 12H-T from G&S Cruiserparts. Starting with the engine swap, I've been slowly pimpin' 'er out over the last 18 months.
Img_0957s.jpg
Img_0958s.jpg
Img_0959s.jpg

Last edited:
List of mods:

12H-T (85K miles) from JDM HJ-61 https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=104179&highlight=goat+transplant
H55 (new)
ARB winch bar
Home brew rear bumper with swing-outs https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=117425&highlight=bumper+build
OME 2.5" medium-heavy
32 x 11.50 BFG
Safari snorkel with Donaldson precleaner
Kaymar roof rack
Home brew dual battery system (Optima D31 Yellow tops)
JDM suspension seat bases
Rear sway bar with quick disconnects
Chrome removed
Euro style mirrors
Aussie grab handle over glove box
Plush orangutang on grab handle

Future Projects:

Home brew sliders
PTO winch
Lockers
35 x 12.50
4.11 gears
Little more lift
Outback-like drawer system to accomodate:
Stuff
Winch motor driven York air compressor
potable water tank, pump, and plumbing
More stuff

Some adventuring pics.
Img_0977s.jpg
Img_0508s.jpg

Last edited:
Great mods, good combo of goodies, have some more pics for us?

Please, in all seriousness, do tell...

How does one go from unemployed to being able to afford all those goodies (particularly the 12H-T)?

What do you do for a living and can I come and work with you???

By my estimates, that mod list you have there is approaching $20,000, but who is counting?

Nice Truck. Post up some under hood pics too.

Dynosoar

Did you say why you call her the Yak?

Great mods, good combo of goodies, have some more pics for us?

I don't have a lot of pics. It doesn't help that I keep deleting many of those I take before they have been uploaded.

I'll see what I can do. Any specifics you want?

Please, in all seriousness, do tell...

How does one go from unemployed to being able to afford all those goodies (particularly the 12H-T)?

What do you do for a living and can I come and work with you???

By my estimates, that mod list you have there is approaching $20,000, but who is counting?

To start with, I typed the first posts last night about midnight. I was barely coherent and only hit the highlights.

When my previous car was totaled, I had to cash in a IRA to get another car since my old Lumina wasn't worth anything. Didn't want to do it, but didn't have a choice. The 12H-T purchase was largly paid for by the sale of my '72 FJ-40. Add to that a timely company bonus and tax refund and viola - 12H-T.

Did you say why you call her the Yak?

I didn't actually.

So the deal is this: She used to be the Goat. She was slow, stinky, gutless, and liked to chew on things. ;)

Since the diesel swap, Goat didn't seem to be a fitting name any longer. She's still slow and stinky, but there is now an element of brute force.

The Yak isn't a really great name, and hasn't "stuck" so if there are any suggestions I'm open to them.

Most excellent. I am looking at doing the 12HT swap and using Veggie Oil. How long did it take you to do the swap? Do you have a lot of experience in doing this sort of thing?

Also, what are JDM suspension seat bases?

:beer: Chad

The swap took me about two months from the time I disabled the truck to the time I could drive it again. I spent most of the year prior accumulating the parts and planning/researching.

For veggie oil you might want to think about an indirect injected diesel like the 2H. You can add a turbo for a couple of grand and the cost ends up being about the same as a 12H-T.

No, I don't have much experience in diesels or swaps. This was a first for me in both areas. All things considered, it was relatively painless. I had some problems, but most were due to inexperience.

JDM suspension seat bases are cool! :cool: The JDM part just means sold new in Japan. The suspension seat base option is an adjustable, spring loaded seat base that isolates your butt from the up/down motion of the vehicle. It has a massive damper to keep it from being bouncy. Makes for a nice ride.

For veggie oil you might want to think about an indirect injected diesel like the 2H.

Why?

I am very interested in the swap idea....just starting my diesel edu.

Why?

I am very interested in the swap idea....just starting my diesel edu.

I can't give you the specific reason(s) why. I don't know enough about the subject. I recommend spending some time in the diesel section. There have been a number of threads on alternative fuels. You can easily find all manner of debate on the subject.

1) where did you get the spring bases
2) how much $$?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom