front CV shaft DONE. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After unsuccessfully badgering my local driveline shop to get this done with koyo parts, I decided to measure my wife's tacoma CV shaft and see if it would fit under the cruiser with some shortening...it WOULD...so I progressed to hunt down a shaft from junk yards and use my Tom Wood's gift certificate won at previous off-road event.

I used a 99 rear cv shaft from tacoma (4x4 xcab). Had it shortened, GOLDEN.

Here's what I did:
1.) Found above driveshaft from junkyard (80 shipped...got lucky with that price, but could be had under 100.00 normally), had it shipped directly to Tom Wood's attn Troy Reardon (GREAT fella to work with). Supplied Troy with flange to flange measurement. Troy shipped the shaft back to me for free.
2.) Used my Gift Certificate from Tom Wood's won at one of the events I went to...nothing like freebies. Tom Wood's would normally charge 40-60 for shortening and balancing. They also lubed/painted the shaft (as you can see in the pic). The welds are beautiful as well.

overall...this would normally cost someone less than 200.00 if done with a more expensive take-off shaft and high driveline shop costs.

here's pic:

http://www.colorado4x4.net/Friends/Kumar/Misc/driveshaft.html

Excellent find!! :cheers: I have been debating redrilling the bolt pattern on the flange in order to use the older mini CV, but it appears as though that idea will go the way of so many other obsolete things. A nearby machine shop retubes any shaft I want with just about any thickness tube for about $75 - $100.

Curious? How much angle will the joint drop before binding? We always use the pre 86 mini truck joint on the 4-runner/mini as it allows a bit more droop before bind than the later joint.

[quote author=bjowett link=board=2;threadid=15407;start=msg145796#msg145796 date=1083033166]
Curious? How much angle will the joint drop before binding?
[/quote]

not exactly sure...would I just level the shaft on the bench and then bend the cv end down until it no longer rotates smoothly and then measure that angle? could it be that easy?

if so, let me know...I will get it done.

K

[quote author=bjowett link=board=2;threadid=15407;start=msg146481#msg146481 date=1083121051]
I snagged a Taco drive shaft today - it has the better of the two joints Toyota used... that is, MORE DROOP! Score... Thanks Inacoma! :beer:
[/quote]

AWESOME...No prob...I guess I don't have to measure my droop now :D

k

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=15407;start=msg145792#msg145792 date=1083032887]
Cool. Just hope his workmanship has improved over the last year.
[/quote]

curious Mike...what do you mean by this comment? I've heard great things about them (as well as personally experienced first hand), as well as their workmanship (with my finished product...no booger welding, one nice clean seam)...and I can say that they are top notch in both regards. There were other things that went wrong regarding drop shipping them a driveshaft from another vendor (whom sent them the wrong shaft), and I had to ship them another one from another vendor. The first shaft vendor was truly very hard to work with, but Troy did what he could to provide accurate information...shoot, they even shipped me that particular wrong shaft to me for free (so that I could work it out with the source and my CC company)...they could have charged me, but they didn't.

...i'm not trying to start an arguement here, just wanted to make sure people know that I had a great experience with Tom Wood's....and they made NO money off of me since I used a gift certificate. They tried just as hard to satisfy me as if I was a paying customer.

K

Kumar,

I'm assuming you're trying to reduce driveline vibes by going with the Double Cardon D.S. Let us know how things work out after you've installed the D.S. in the 80.

Thanks.

Ali

[quote author=inacoma link=board=2;threadid=15407;start=msg147166#msg147166 date=1083205648]
... just wanted to make sure people know that I had a great experience with Tom's Wood....and they made NO money off of me since I used a gift certificate.
K
[/quote]

Sounds like he should be paying you ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom